Robert Sarver Report

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Robert Sarver Report

Post by Split T »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:58 pm
They don’t take away your team for being an jerk. Not to turn this political but, our ex President was a jerk and was accused by dozens of women of sexual assault and that in no way stopped him from becoming President. He was accused of racism a lot and was endorsed by the KKK and that didn’t disqualify him either.

I am not sure what evidence they can come out with that accomplishes taking away the Suns from him.
Needs to be similar to what they had on Sterling. A precedent has been set, so we’ll see. My guess is it’s just a he said-she said thing and nothing happens.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Nodack wrote:
They don’t take away your team for being an jerk. Not to turn this political but, our ex President was a jerk and was accused by dozens of women of sexual assault and that in no way stopped him from becoming President. He was accused of racism a lot and was endorsed by the KKK and that didn’t disqualify him either.

I am not sure what evidence they can come out with that accomplishes taking away the Suns from him.
He became President because enough people voted for him. But Billy Bush lost his job just for standing next to him and laughing.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Cap

Post by Cap »

There’s another folder for this stuff.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Nodack wrote:

Even if they can't forcibly remove the team from him, if enough terrible and damning shit comes out, who the hell wants to play for a known blatant racist and sexist scumbag?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:

All true. Sterling for example had many examples of racism and cheating his employees before he was finally taken down by a recorded message to his mistress. And I've been thinking about it today and the racism part doesn't jive with anything I've heard to date. Sarver hired a black GM and a black coach. There's not too many of those combinations at those positions in the league. He seems to be empowering if anything when it comes to race. Thoughts?
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

I think I’m going to wait for the story to drop before reacting. Schultz is giving us all sizzle and no steak.

Indy

Post by Indy »

He isn't even giving us sizzle. He is saying, hey I heard there is something big coming, but it I didn't do any of the research, and I am not going to do the reporting, and I don't even work for the organization that is, but I heard a rumor.

Indy

Post by Indy »

By the way, I get the feeling ESPN or ABC or Disney (some form of their management) was trying to quash the story. Or maybe even the NBA themselves. And the reporters that have been working on this for months and months were not so happy about that. So they leak something, and let a basically unknown reporter break that there is news coming. Then ESPN/NBA can no longer hide it.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:50 am
By the way, I get the feeling ESPN or ABC or Disney (some form of their management) was trying to quash the story. Or maybe even the NBA themselves. And the reporters that have been working on this for months and months were not so happy about that. So they leak something, and let a basically unknown reporter break that there is news coming. Then ESPN/NBA can no longer hide it.
So do I -- I really don't think they had any solid evidence, i.e. not from Rich Paul or Ryan McD. I could be wrong, though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The thing is, Sarver is just a weird guy. What was up with that recent photo where he was on the team plane with no shirt on and a gold chain around his neck? wtf? And there have been a lot of random reports over the years of him being a complete asshole to staff, players, fans, etc. like that time the employee didn't recognize Sarver and blocked him from entering the arena, so Sarver got irate and tried to fire him.

You just get the sense that lots of people have "Sarver was a complete asshole to me" stories. Do any of the stories rise to the level of being clear racism, sexism, etc.? We'll have to wait and see. You need pretty good evidence or quotes or recordings on stuff like that. Just being an A-hole to a person from a certain demographic group doesn't necessarily constitute discrimination against that group. You'd have to have quotes of him specifically disparaging that group. Maybe they do have the goods; we'll have to wait and see.

I do think that Sarver isn't going anywhere unless this is a really iron-clad story with strong evidence to back it up. He probably won't even apologize, other than some kind of "I'm sorry if YOU were offended by misunderstanding my totally innocent behavior" type of apology.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Nodack wrote:

Then don’t turn it political.

Accused is an interesting word.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flex claims the report is being published on Tuesday, FWIW.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

jonh

Post by jonh »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:05 am
If the story if published on Thursday, Im looking forward to reading Flex's tweet stating that he knew the report would be delayed two days, but didn't want to undermine his sources.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

jonh wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:31 am
JeremyG wrote:
If the story if published on Thursday, Im looking forward to reading Flex's tweet stating that he knew the report would be delayed two days, but didn't want to undermine his sources.
So you would see this as a big own of Felix? It feels like you're missing the forest through the trees. The issue is Sarver, and it's possible that Jordan Schultz put a monkey wrench in the timing of the article coming out. If they change their decision on the timing, it's Felix's fault? Idk, man.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:21 pm
jonh wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
So you would see this as a big own of Felix? It feels like you're missing the forest through the trees. The issue is Sarver, and it's possible that Jordan Schultz put a monkey wrench in the timing of the article coming out. If they change their decision on the timing, it's Felix's fault? Idk, man.
Is Felix and Flex the same person or is that just a typo? I'm not really into the whole Flex drama around here so I was just curious.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:52 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:21 pm
jonh wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Is Felix and Flex the same person or is that just a typo? I'm not really into the whole Flex drama around here so I was just curious.
His name is actually Felix Cruz. The board op when he used to call into the post game show with Jon Bloom thought he said his name was Flex, so it stuck.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Figured this was overblown. All of the explosive hoopla on Friday and crickets ever since. Go figure.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:29 pm
Figured this was overblown. All of the explosive hoopla on Friday and crickets ever since. Go figure.
Nobody is going to release an article like that until all the lawyers have approved it.

Suns_Dave

Post by Suns_Dave »

There seems to be a lot of premature celebration on planet orange about the pending report, but the fallout from something like this could be pretty destabilizing for a team on the cusp of a championship. A few questions:

1. If Sarver goes down, and that's still a big IF, who else gets caught in the blast radius? The entire ownership group? Will beloved AZ sports figures like Fitz (who is 100% team Sarver) get caught in the crossfire?

2. Who replaces Sarver? Does the current ownership group just appoint a new representative or will they somehow be forced to sell? As poor as he's been, there's no guarantee whatsoever the incoming chairman will be any better.

3. Is there a likely scenario where James Jones--and possibly Monty--retain their positions with a change of ownership? New guy will almost certainly want to put his stamp on the team and delete anything associated with the previous regime.

If the allegations prove to be true, Sarver should absolutely go, but the fallout from all of this is potentially more damaging than positive for the Suns.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It would be very Suns-like to finally get our wish of forcing Sarver to fail, only to lose what may be our best GM and Coach combo we have had in +30 years.