Robert Sarver Report

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Robert Sarver Report

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Keep in mind that the NBA doesn't want to go through the process of "forcibly" removing Sarver as the majority owner. They had Sterling on an audio recording and he still sued the league for 2.5 years after selling the Clippers for $2B. The settlement was never disclosed, so it's possible Sterling lost money on that suit, but there's also a chance the NBA cut him a check for him to go away for good.

The NBA will need more than the verbal testimonies of former employees to take that legal risk again.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Going back to the Henry Abbott stuff from July, here is what he asked Dick Heckmann’s widow, Wendy:
Can you help us understand Robert? I have been hearing from a lot of people who know him who say, in effect, that he talks like this often.

I’m not here to speak for Robert. I’ve never heard him say thing crazy things. He’s a kind, sweet, funny, generous man. A very kind man. He has a beautiful family, wife, boys. I’m not here to defend Robert, but I’ve never heard him say crazy, off-the-wall things.

https://www.truehoop.com/p/wendy-heckma ... as-a-roast
And from Abbott’s main article:
Video of the incident, which has been confirmed as Sarver by people who know him, begins with Sarver talking about someone off camera, who is evidently staring at a phone.

“You merging on a SPAC or are you lining up a hooker over there? What are you doing? It’s a goddamned memorial service! Christ. Hahahahahah. I’m going to guess his receptionist has small tits.”

https://www.truehoop.com/p/video-robert ... a-memorial
And yet Sarver’s statement claims: “I despise language that disrespects any individuals, regardless of race, gender, preference, or choice. […] Even hints of racism or sexism in our culture today are toxic and damaging and should not be lightly raised. I categorically deny any and all suggestions that I used disparaging language related to race or gender.”

Well, I would say that what was captured on video proves he is a liar already.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Release this shit man.

Jordan Schulz is a douche.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:49 pm
Release this shit man.

Jordan Schulz is a douche.
Shit or get off the pot.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

If this comes out and it is not correct in any way.

Sarver may be the proud owner of ESPN. I expect he and his attorneys have made that very clear.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

<chirp>...crickets...</chirp>

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm thinking Schultz was given that info to leak last week before a nationally televised game to distract/embarrass the org. He may have even overhyped it and now they're sitting on it because it won't be as earth shattering as he made it?

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:37 am
I'm thinking Schultz was given that info to leak last week before a nationally televised game to distract/embarrass the org. He may have even overhyped it and now they're sitting on it because it won't be as earth shattering as he made it?
then why did the suns already have prepared statements to release?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

They've probably known a report/article was coming and had a statement prepared?

Indy

Post by Indy »

that is what I think too. So my theories are this:

1) This Jordan dude was being a dick and tried to grab attention by scooping a scoop
2) Jordan was played/used by the reporters (maybe even cooperated with them) to get the news out there that this story existed so the NBA/ESPN couldn't kill it

I don't see a logical way that the story doesn't actual exist, because the Suns clearly were aware of a story before any of us were. So ESPN had already been interviewing/asking for comments and corroboration.

But that doesn't mean there will be enough to have anything happen to Bob.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Perhaps the story was been completely finished for awhile, but ESPN is still refusing to publish the story. The leak was to put pressure on them to publish it, but they have not budged. Perhaps the investigative reporter will have to leave and take his story to another media outlet?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:22 pm
Perhaps the story was been completely finished for awhile, but ESPN is still refusing to publish the story. The leak was to put pressure on them to publish it, but they have not budged. Perhaps the investigative reporter will have to leave and take his story to another media outlet?
This is how you get fired IMHO

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Occam's razor probably applies here. The story probably just isn't ready to publish yet. And so we wait...

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm still thinking about whether or not the report was ready during the playoffs/Finals but the NBA and/or ESPN held off on it? I could see the NBA leaning on ESPN not to release a report like that given the timing, but would then also take heat for delaying a report like that on an owner just to protect itself during the most important time of the season. I don't know that that's something Silver and the NBA would do. Maybe the Suns/NBA got an initial version of the report during the playoffs and asked for time to investigate for themselves?

If the report had been ready to drop during the playoffs and ESPN held off for whatever reason, they've had plenty of time since the playoffs to release it.

The timing of Schultz' tweets with regards to DA's lack of extension could also just be a coincidence?

Regardless, can't do anything until it's out.