Game Day: Pelicans (1-6) @ Suns (2-3), Tues 02/11/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Game Day: Pelicans (1-6) @ Suns (2-3), Tues 02/11/21

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:26 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:00 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:43 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:35 am
I would agree his ceiling is the 2nd highest. Not sure he has shown an ability to get there.
I would say his current level of play makes him 2nd highest, once Paul declines/leaves/retires.
Highest ceiling, or highest current level of play? I am confused because the first part says current, but the 2nd part says once CP3 starts sucking.
I meant that if you remove CP3, his current level of play is 2nd highest on the team. And even if he doesn't reach his ceiling, if he maintains his current level of play, he will likely be our 2nd best player 2 years from now when CP3 could be either gone or a greatly diminished player.
So if you ignore a top 5 MVP candidate last year, Ayton is a top 2 player on our team? I mean, sure I get the argument for him over Mikal. But that is a pretty big "if you just ignore..." statement.

Mori Chu

Re: Game Day: Pelicans (1-6) @ Suns (2-3), Tues 02/11/21

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:09 pm
So if you ignore a top 5 MVP candidate last year, Ayton is a top 2 player on our team? I mean, sure I get the argument for him over Mikal. But that is a pretty big "if you just ignore..." statement.
I agree with you. I think the intent is to talk about his value during his future time on the Suns, especially during the hypothetical max contract he'd receive. CP3 is our second-most important player now, but that will probably only be the case for one more year, maybe two tops. After that he will diminish. And that'll be right in the thick of that max contract when Ayton would be Booker's right-hand man and the second pillar of our team.

One could argue that they don't think Ayton is capable of being a top-two player on a team. I personally think he can, especially if you give him another year or two to learn and grow. Big men take some time to hit their prime in this league. Ayton is going to be a lot better 2-3 years from now than he his today.

I think our own JaVale McGee is a good example of this. Early in his career he was an overeager klutz who didn't know how to play within himself. Now he's older, wiser, more careful and reserved; he knows what he is. So he's much more of a net positive. Ayton is learning a lot each year in the league and is still adding to his game. He's going to be really good in his prime.