Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 5957
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by specialsauce »

She was incredibly dumb to break the law especially in Russia of all places. She had to understand the risk she was taking. Sucks for her but it is what it is

User avatar
wpmiller42
Posts: 587
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:22 pm

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by wpmiller42 »

This probably belongs more in the politics thread, but Griner "breaking the law" in Russia has nothing to do with why she is detained. She's a black gay American celebrity; that's why she's being detained.

User avatar
virtual9mm
Posts: 1585
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:24 pm

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by virtual9mm »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:56 am
This probably belongs more in the politics thread, but Griner "breaking the law" in Russia has nothing to do with why she is detained. She's a black gay American celebrity; that's why she's being detained.
Yeah you should look at the fake pedophile rumors they stuck on Mike McFaul. Shot a bullet through his window, too.

Back to basketball...

User avatar
SunsRIt
Posts: 1121
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by SunsRIt »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:31 pm
She was incredibly dumb to break the law especially in Russia of all places. She had to understand the risk she was taking. Sucks for her but it is what it is
I said basically the same thing in another thread and got lambasted for it. She broke the law.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18934
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:31 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:31 pm
She was incredibly dumb to break the law especially in Russia of all places. She had to understand the risk she was taking. Sucks for her but it is what it is
I said basically the same thing in another thread and got lambasted for it. She broke the law.
wpmiller42 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:56 am
This probably belongs more in the politics thread, but Griner "breaking the law" in Russia has nothing to do with why she is detained. She's a black gay American celebrity; that's why she's being detained.

User avatar
Wally_West
Posts: 5256
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:12 pm

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Wally_West »

I also don’t believe shit what Russia says.

User avatar
The Bobster
Posts: 5804
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:04 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by The Bobster »

The thing is this - they're a sovereign country. So if you're uncomfortable with the situation there you probably try to avoid going there, or at the very least don't give then any reason to detain you.

"My doctor prescribed it" or "It's legal where I'm from" doesn't cut it. The Russian government is just looking for anything to use for bargaining for the release of Russians held prisoner here, and she gave them a high profile one.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 8582
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:21 pm
The Russian government is just looking for anything to use for bargaining for the release of Russians held prisoner here, and she gave them a high profile one.
This is the key point. I refuse to believe the local people around Griner in Russia didn't know about her cannabis usage. They would have never arrested her because it would've discouraged other international players form joining their league.

The fact that it happened right when Russia invaded Ukraine made it plainly obvious she's a political pawn, and it's a joke to think she's a criminal on the same level as Viktor Bout.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18934
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Indy »

Exactly. And as miller pointed out, her being a person in multiple marginalized communities lets them do this with most Americans not caring.

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 8582
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't think her identity and background have a whole lot to do with the greater public opinion about her in the USA in this situation. Bigots would've ignored or trashed her regardless.

I think it's likely that most Americans care about her but feel helpless because Vladimir Putin is ultimately deciding her fate.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 5957
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by specialsauce »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:21 pm
The thing is this - they're a sovereign country. So if you're uncomfortable with the situation there you probably try to avoid going there, or at the very least don't give then any reason to detain you.

"My doctor prescribed it" or "It's legal where I'm from" doesn't cut it. The Russian government is just looking for anything to use for bargaining for the release of Russians held prisoner here, and she gave them a high profile one.
I agree.

You know what kind of a country you’re in. Don’t give them any reason to be unreasonable. Don’t speed. Don’t carry illegal drugs. If you can’t tread lightly, probably shouldn’t be there. Russia sucks, but shes foolish

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 15951
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it's easy to underestimate how easily an oppressive country can imprison people for the most minor of offenses if it really wants to. Almost everyone is guilty of some sort of minor offense, anything from jaywalking to filing their taxes improperly to speeding to minor possession of a recreational drug to being gay (illegal in some countries), on and on. If they want you, they can probably find a reason to grab you and throw you in a prison on a questionable charge. Overly harsh laws with selective enforcement make it so that almost everyone has committed SOME crime, so if the government wants to, they can grab them and prosecute them.

Should Griner have brought a vape pen or weed gummy or whatever to Russia? Maybe not. But if she hadn't done that, they likely would have found some other reason to grab her. "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time" is bullshit in this context.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 6511
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Nodack »

Well she did bring a pot vape pen into Russia and was busted. Put me in the group that thinks that was a very foolish move. Of course Russia is going to milk it for all it’s worth. It sucks to be her. Now she is a pawn in a much larger political game.

Drewsprocket
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:44 pm

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Drewsprocket »

Fairly obvious take: I won’t believe much until Griner is home and able to give her version. And of course the reason she is being held is for leverage. That she is an American celebrity, Black, and LGBTQ only increases the target on her back.

User avatar
Furlanfufi
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:09 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Furlanfufi »

Guys, let me tell you a story related to this. A brazilian man, Robson Oliveira, was arrested because on Russia because he was carrying 2 boxes of Mytedom, a legal drug here in Brazil, but illegal on Russia.
He was working for a soccer player named Fernando, and the drug was intendend for Fernando's father. Fernando soon left Russia to play for a chinese team, and Robson left in jail for more than 2 years.

Robson was a nobody, who can't move an inch in the political scale, and he was only realeased after Bolsonaro's intervention with Putin after 2 years.
Just to clarify, Bolsonaro and Putin relations are good.

Griner's case will last longer than that because she's an american celebrity, US relations with Russia are what they are, and she was carrying pot.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 5957
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by specialsauce »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:20 pm
Guys, let me tell you a story related to this. A brazilian man, Robson Oliveira, was arrested because on Russia because he was carrying 2 boxes of Mytedom, a legal drug here in Brazil, but illegal on Russia.
He was working for a soccer player named Fernando, and the drug was intendend for Fernando's father. Fernando soon left Russia to play for a chinese team, and Robson left in jail for more than 2 years.

Robson was a nobody, who can't move an inch in the political scale, and he was only realeased after Bolsonaro's intervention with Putin after 2 years.
Just to clarify, Bolsonaro and Putin relations are good.

Griner's case will last longer than that because she's an american celebrity, US relations with Russia are what they are, and she was carrying pot.
Mytedome is methadone, an opioid. Again, better be careful taking drugs to a foreign country.

User avatar
Furlanfufi
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:09 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Furlanfufi »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:52 pm
Furlanfufi wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:20 pm
Guys, let me tell you a story related to this. A brazilian man, Robson Oliveira, was arrested because on Russia because he was carrying 2 boxes of Mytedom, a legal drug here in Brazil, but illegal on Russia.
He was working for a soccer player named Fernando, and the drug was intendend for Fernando's father. Fernando soon left Russia to play for a chinese team, and Robson left in jail for more than 2 years.

Robson was a nobody, who can't move an inch in the political scale, and he was only realeased after Bolsonaro's intervention with Putin after 2 years.
Just to clarify, Bolsonaro and Putin relations are good.

Griner's case will last longer than that because she's an american celebrity, US relations with Russia are what they are, and she was carrying pot.
Mytedome is methadone, an opioid. Again, better be careful taking drugs to a foreign country.
Yes, but the guy was just an employee (a kind of do it all for Fernando's family) and barely knew what methadone was. Here we got very upset with the way Fernando and his family just left him there like they had nothing to do with it.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 5957
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by specialsauce »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:08 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:52 pm
Furlanfufi wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:20 pm
Guys, let me tell you a story related to this. A brazilian man, Robson Oliveira, was arrested because on Russia because he was carrying 2 boxes of Mytedom, a legal drug here in Brazil, but illegal on Russia.
He was working for a soccer player named Fernando, and the drug was intendend for Fernando's father. Fernando soon left Russia to play for a chinese team, and Robson left in jail for more than 2 years.

Robson was a nobody, who can't move an inch in the political scale, and he was only realeased after Bolsonaro's intervention with Putin after 2 years.
Just to clarify, Bolsonaro and Putin relations are good.

Griner's case will last longer than that because she's an american celebrity, US relations with Russia are what they are, and she was carrying pot.
Mytedome is methadone, an opioid. Again, better be careful taking drugs to a foreign country.
Yes, but the guy was just an employee (a kind of do it all for Fernando's family) and barely knew what methadone was. Here we got very upset with the way Fernando and his family just left him there like they had nothing to do with it.
I mean it sounds like Fernando left him high and dry.

But it’s like if I carry around cocaine and then tell the police “but it’s my friend’s cocaine!” You’re still in trouble because you’re in possession of an illegal substance. Russias laws may be ridiculous, but it’s not surprising.

Post Reply