Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Split T »

Sounds like Rowley needs to go too

Split T

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Split T »

Sharpton is calling out all the sponsors to step up

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I've still got the worst case scenario stuck in my mind. Obstinate Sarver refuses to sell even with Sponsors leaving. Revenue is down so we make Kurt Thomas-trade level financial trades. Franchise value continues to climb and Sarver wins while everyone else loses.

(Can you tell I'm a traumatized Suns fan?)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:09 pm
I've still got the worst case scenario stuck in my mind. Obstinate Sarver refuses to sell even with Sponsors leaving. Revenue is down so we make Kurt Thomas-trade level financial trades. Franchise value continues to climb and Sarver wins while everyone else loses.

I think that might actually get me to put my fandom on hiatus.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Shabazz wrote:

That’s the risk people wishing for players sitting out and sponsorship dropping the team are willing to take, the “burn to the ground the house to make the rat flee” aproach.

It’s a flashy approach but you can bet a Big rat is willing to fight for the cheese. Sarver would have stepped down a long ago if public opinion were important to him. He obviously fought this behind the scenes, and that Kia statement reassuring it’s NBA ties just as the PayPal one severing it, is pretty telling of how much pull he still has.

Those wishing to corner Sarver and make him sell, neglects the scenery you just mentioned, but also the one where he can put sell the team to some group looking for a way into Las Vegas, Seattle or some other location using the Phoenix franchise. Out of spite, a manchild can break his toys.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:33 pm
Shabazz wrote:

Until the next life?
What’s weird is how when times are bad my fandom justifies stupid moves the team makes. I think I lost faith in the 2010s but then found myself believing whatever Ryan McD was saying.
I wonder what led Sarver to hire JJ and trust his philosophy? Clearly Sarver was all over the place prior to it.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:37 pm
Shabazz wrote:

That’s the risk people wishing for players sitting out and sponsorship dropping the team are willing to take, the “burn to the ground the house to make the rat flee” aproach.

It’s a flashy approach but you can bet a Big rat is willing to fight for the cheese. Sarver would have stepped down a long ago if public opinion were important to him. He obviously fought this behind the scenes, and that Kia statement reassuring it’s NBA ties just as the PayPal one severing it, is pretty telling of how much pull he still has.

Those wishing to corner Sarver and make him sell, neglects the scenery you just mentioned, but also the one where he can put sell the team to some group looking for a way into Las Vegas, Seattle or some other location using the Phoenix franchise. Out of spite, a manchild can break his toys.
Yup. He seems like a stubborn asshole. I don't think moving the team is on the table, but if you try to take the team from him he'll welcome a protracted legal fight, collateral damage be damned.

Just look at how long Redskins fans have had to suffer. Dan Snyder is even worse than Sarver. He's like Sarver on coke. He refuses to change or adapt and the NFL is powerless to do anything about it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:40 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:33 pm
Shabazz wrote:

Until the next life?
What’s weird is how when times are bad my fandom justifies stupid moves the team makes. I think I lost faith in the 2010s but then found myself believing whatever Ryan McD was saying.
I wonder what led Sarver to hire JJ and trust his philosophy? Clearly Sarver was all over the place prior to it.
Until Sarver is gone…not sure I could actually do it, but I’d try

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:41 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

Yup. He seems like a stubborn asshole. I don't think moving the team is on the table, but if you try to take the team from him he'll welcome a protracted legal fight, collateral damage be damned.

Just look at how long Redskins fans have had to suffer. Dan Snyder is even worse than Sarver. He's like Sarver on coke. He refuses to change or adapt and the NFL is powerless to do anything about it.
Sarver on coke!!!

That tought made me cold sweat...

So sad this is the subject leading to training camp, instead of arguing over Ayton… and Joe Johnson!!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

If the players sit out, Sarver will be gone within days. No way the league just lets a team forfeit games all season. It would make the league look terrible.

And the league won't allow him to sell to someone who wants to move the team.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:46 pm
YES! Thank you, Tamika, for stating that so clearly! We Suns fans appreciate it more than you could know. And it would be great for the entire league.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

The lease that the Suns signed with the city when they agreed to make improvements to the arena include a fine of up to $200 million if the team tries to break their lease and leave the Valley. So why would you pay an additional $200 million to leave one of the biggest markets in the country?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:01 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

If the players sit out, Sarver will be gone within days. No way the league just lets a team forfeit games all season. It would make the league look terrible.

And the league won't allow him to sell to someone who wants to move the team.
Yeah, ask to the Seattle Supersonics fans how well that worked. Naive to think that an new ownership group will open their buying pitch with a Las Vegas Suns logo. Deep pockets can pay fines for arena’s leasing unfulfilled after a couple years and wait a couple years in Phoenix as a new arena rise on their desired relocation.

Or what about if the the League preferred a relocation over a legal battle with Sarver?

You are not at that table, your guessing is a good as mine, including how far the players truly take to heart this accusations, last year they keep playing and even looked galvanized for this adversity, playing for the city ant the fans, no for Sarver (they clearly didn’t support him either, just pretended it didn’t existed IN THE COURT)

How they feel about boycotting and breaching their contracts upon it is not that clear, and usually the sports concept of being a Pro goes through keep playing no matter what, kind of like we saw last year, I wouldn’t blame them if they talk among themselves and decide AGAIN, that it includes this.

Although a big difference is that now there is verdict, but unlike Lebron, they are not looking for business vendettas, neither are looking for a Hot take to drag people and clicks to their media venues.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The league took a ton of crap for letting the Sonics leave and won’t do that again. They even blocked a sale of the Kings that would’ve moved the team to Seattle if I recall.

Also I’d much rather root for the Las Vegas Suns with no Sarver than the Phoenix Suns with Sarver…of course Vegas is also closer to me than Phoenix. I honestly don’t care too much about where they play now that I don’t live in Phoenix.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:50 pm
The league took a ton of crap for letting the Sonics leave and won’t do that again. They even blocked a sale of the Kings that would’ve moved the team to Seattle if I recall.

Also I’d much rather root for the Las Vegas Suns with no Sarver than the Phoenix Suns with Sarver…of course Vegas is also closer to me than Phoenix. I honestly don’t care too much about where they play now that I don’t live in Phoenix.
Also, they couldn't get a new facility built in Seattle, and that was a big part of the problem.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

This feels like it’s so close to finally actually happening. We just need one more huge sponsor (maybe Fry’s?) to copy PayPal and then the rest will look bad if they don’t follow also...and the momentum will keep rolling.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Keep your pants on. Everyone is jumping on the free PR goodwill right now. Lets see what the mood is like in 8 months.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:52 pm
Keep your pants on. Everyone is jumping on the free PR goodwill right now. Lets see what the mood is like in 8 months.
8 months?! I sure hope it doesn’t take that long to play out. I was watching CNN tonight and even they were talking about it. The woman they interviewed thinks he’ll be gone soon after PayPal, Chris Paul, LeBron James, and the PA spoke out already.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:05 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:52 pm
8 months?! I sure hope it doesn’t take that long to play out. I was watching CNN tonight and even they were talking about it. The woman they interviewed thinks he’ll be gone soon after PayPal, Chris Paul, LeBron James, and the PA spoke out already.
What does Sarver have to lose by waiting out the worst part of the storm?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.