Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I usually don't pay much mind to this kind of stuff because I don't care about who's gay or anyone's lifestyle that doesn't affect other people.

But this story and the recent hire of Morgan Cato smells funny to me. Maybe I'm just jaded by Robert Sarver.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by TOO »

Really feels like Sarver is trying to get some positive publicity.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Now they have someone pretending to be gay to save Sarver face huh lol

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

So he’s not gay? He just announced to the world he’s gay to help Sarver? I know very few straight males who would be willing to do that.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:23 am
So he’s not gay? He just announced to the world he’s gay to help Sarver? I know very few straight males who would be willing to do that.
No, he just spontaneously decided to call ESPN and report this at this exact moment in time he had an epiphany to come out and get publicity for it. It’s just a complete coincidence that his owner had a longstanding investigation against him about a toxic culture, and just a coincidence that this was released right after that other woman resigned and cited a toxic culture, followed by a completely coincidental hire of a black woman at a lead position from the league office.

So many crazy quinky dinks! Robby is just misunderstood. This is all clearly a build up to a statement being released by the league saying they found nothing, or a slap on the wrist. Operation Cover Up

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:21 am
I usually don't pay much mind to this kind of stuff because I don't care about who's gay or anyone's lifestyle that doesn't affect other people.

But this story and the recent hire of Morgan Cato smells funny to me. Maybe I'm just jaded by Robert Sarver.
Does this have something to do with it?
A number of Suns employees have alleged racist and misogynistic behavior by Suns owner Robert Sarver and others in the organization, and the NBA is currently investigating the Suns. Have you had any interaction with Sarver since you came out?

I hadn't seen him or had a chance to talk to him in person for a few months after I came [out] to James and the rest of the organization. My then-boyfriend had been coming to games during that period. When I told Robert a couple of weeks ago, he was amazing. He told me, "I'm so happy you feel comfortable enough to live as who you are, and bring someone special to you to a game." We spoke about Rick Welts. The best part of the conversation was our discussion about how it's the quality of the work that will determine my trajectory professionally in the franchise. It's about merit.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

'Bone, that paragraph does seem to be meticulously crafted. Seems a little fishy, or maybe I'm just super cynical these days.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I certainly don’t think he’s making up being gay, but yes, the timing is suspicious.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:13 am
I certainly don’t think he’s making up being gay, but yes, the timing is suspicious.
Well, yeah. That's just silly.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Without a doubt there is more than one gay person working within the Suns' organization (after all, Rick Welts, probably the most noteworthy gay man connected with the NBA began his career with the Suns). And just based on the numbers (3.5% of society) there have probably been gay players on the Suns. Jason Collins and John Amaechi are the only two NBA players who have come forward about being homosexual, but one would have to be pretty naïve to think it ended there.

But why do we really need to know? I think the only viable reason to make this public is to let everyone know that it's okay to be gay and that you can fit into society seamlessly. But I also think that most of the attention it ends up getting is outrage from people who don't want to address the possibility that homosexuality is part of their sports world, just like in the real world.

The timing of the article here does seem very suspicious - but I would doubt anyone approached Resch and said "Hey we need a good "gay article" can you help us out?" unless it was already well known with in the organization. In that case, I guess I wouldn't put it past Sarver and the NBA's PR machine.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:24 am
Without a doubt there is more than one gay person working within the Suns' organization (after all, Rick Welts, probably the most noteworthy gay man connected with the NBA began his career with the Suns). And just based on the numbers (3.5% of society) there have probably been gay players on the Suns. Jason Collins and John Amaechi are the only two NBA players who have come forward about being homosexual, but one would have to be pretty naïve to think it ended there.

But why do we really need to know? I think the only viable reason to make this public is to let everyone know that it's okay to be gay and that you can fit into society seamlessly. But I also think that most of the attention it ends up getting is outrage from people who don't want to address the possibility that homosexuality is part of their sports world, just like in the real world.

The timing of the article here does seem very suspicious - but I would doubt anyone approached Resch and said "Hey we need a good "gay article" can you help us out?" unless it was already well known with in the organization. In that case, I guess I wouldn't put it past Sarver and the NBA's PR machine.
Bingo

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

"Listen, um, Reschy, you've always been a team player. And Bob is in a bit of a pickle here with this investigation. We were wondering if, how can we put this... you could take one for the team? And by 'one,' we mean a dick."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:03 pm
"Listen, um, Reschy, you've always been a team player. And Bob is in a bit of a pickle here with this investigation. We were wondering if, how can we put this... you could take one for the team? And by 'one,' we mean a dick."
It reminds me of the episode of The Office where Oscar winds up getting the paid vacation from the company after Michael's antics out him....
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

TOO

Post by TOO »

That was a long ass investigation.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think they aren't going to do anything.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think we know the findings, Adam. That's not the part anyone's all that interested in hearing.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:04 pm
That was a long ass investigation.
It’s not over yet. Who knows how long the “last stage” will last.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Al Sharpton pressures NBA to end Sarver investigation, bring home Griner
https://arizonasports.com/story/3227012 ... me-griner/
“Enough is enough. I was patient when the NBA told me the Sarver investigation would be wrapped up by April; but April came and went. Then they told me in June to wait a few more weeks; but June came and went. It is now (almost) August, and not only is there no end in sight on the Sarver investigation, but the league has also failed to step up to help bring Brittney home. My patience has run out. I am calling on the NBA to help us bring Brittney home, wrap this investigation up and send a message that Robert Sarver and his hateful behavior have no place in this organization.”
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:31 pm
Al Sharpton pressures NBA to end Sarver investigation, bring home Griner
https://arizonasports.com/story/3227012 ... me-griner/
“Enough is enough. I was patient when the NBA told me the Sarver investigation would be wrapped up by April; but April came and went. Then they told me in June to wait a few more weeks; but June came and went. It is now (almost) August, and not only is there no end in sight on the Sarver investigation, but the league has also failed to step up to help bring Brittney home. My patience has run out. I am calling on the NBA to help us bring Brittney home, wrap this investigation up and send a message that Robert Sarver and his hateful behavior have no place in this organization.”
What’s the league supposed to do about Griner? Send a team of commandos to bust her out? What kind of leverage over Putin does Sharpton think they have?