Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Nodack

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:47 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:40 am
Nodack wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:32 am
I read the first part and started getting bored.

Sarver was pissed off after a game where they lost to the Warriors and wondered why Greene was allowed to yell out the N word on the court and that was fine. He used the N word to describe Greene using the N word and that makes him a raging racist but Greene using the N word isn’t. I myself have a problem with that. Blacks are real sensitive to that word and for good reasons I understand. What I don’t get is why and how they use the N word a lot to talk about fellow Blacks and that’s perfectly acceptable.
Yes, it does. And it isn't complicated.
'Dack, there is plenty of info out there about this topic. Why not respect your fellow human's wishes?
I don’t think anyone should be using the word. That’s my point.

Flagrant Fowl

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The NBA isn't going to touch Sarver without having possession of hard evidence. The legal battle without it would be futile.

This is possibly the most important part of the article, and of course its crammed in at the end.

Within the first decade of Sarver's tenure, a few members of the approximately 20-person ownership group explored having Sarver removed, according to people with knowledge of the inquiry. The operating agreement that sealed Sarver's position as the team's "governor" was quietly reviewed by outside legal counsel. But outside counsel soon relayed that Sarver's contract effectively prevented him from being removed absent serious criminal behavior or similarly egregious conduct.

One high-level former executive recalled being told that the language in the agreement was "bulletproof" and granted Sarver enough power that it would be very difficult to unseat him.

Not to minimize the people who've been harmed while working for the Suns under Sarver's ownership, but even I'm feeling depressed about all of this. No one picks a team to support because of the owner, but we have to endure their mistakes and shortcomings to celebrate the achievements of the players and staff. I'm sure everyone across the league already talks about Sarver in the way he's portrayed by this article, but they could always lean on their personal interactions to justify working for the Suns, assuming those interactions are appropriate, like James Jones has. I'm afraid all this has just made Jones' job a lot harder.

I can't help but feel like this is going to tank the franchise as long as Sarver remains at the top. He's a black cloud and we're all Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. I can't shake the feeling that the current upward trajectory of this franchise on the court is short-lived. It's only a matter of time before the people who've contributed to this current team decide they've had enough.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

I wouldn’t be surprised if ESPN has a bunch of follow-up articles planned over the next few days. Regardless, this is going to be hanging over the team for some time.
NbA investigating is interesting. I’m sure they’ll get a lot of willing participants in that investigation if they can remain publicly not identified.
Last edited by Gladiator on Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/325 ... ism-claims

So they're hiring a law firm to do the investigation. What do we make of that? Does that mean they're trying to explore this from a legalistic angle of covering their ass rather than holding people accountable? Or are law firms the ones who do these kinds of investigations regularly?

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

This just reeks of Klutch and Lebron. They’ll pull every dirty trick to make Lebrons path to another championship easier.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Same law firm they used for Donaghy and Sterling I believe. The NBA can't not investigate at this point but I'd be surprised if they didn't know about this already and haven't talked to Sarver/the Suns. I don't think Sarver goes unless enough people inside and outside the org want it to happen.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:58 pm
PHNX Suns podcast discusses the allegations and article.
Can I just say that I hate the PHNX abbreviation?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:46 pm
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/325 ... ism-claims

So they're hiring a law firm to do the investigation. What do we make of that? Does that mean they're trying to explore this from a legalistic angle of covering their ass rather than holding people accountable? Or are law firms the ones who do these kinds of investigations regularly?
You usually hire a law firm for this.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:26 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:09 pm
I almost wonder if espn did try to squash the story(why it didn’t come out when originally planned) only to have someone(probably earl watson or Klutch) leak that the story existed to get it published. I really don’t know what to think here, Sarver certainly has been a jerk, no question. I don’t know that there’s been any public stuff that would make me think he’s been racist. But that kind of behavior often stays private. He’s got quite a few people who spent a lot of time with him in the organization who are supporting him. This seems to largely be coming from Earl Watson who clearly has a personal issue with Sarver and because of that I’m not sure how credible he is. I hope they do investigate it and the truth comes out. Let’s get Sarver out of there or get Watson what he deserves for making stuff up.
I don't understand why everyone is focusing on Watson's accusations, just because he is the biggest name on record. The Watson stuff is nowhere near as damning as the former executive's allegations, in which Sarver actually used the N-word on his own:
Sarver once used the N-word when trying to explain to a staffer why he preferred hiring Lindsey Hunter over Dan Majerle as head coach in 2013, according to a high-level executive who heard the remark. Hunter was a first-year Suns player development coordinator while Majerle was in his fifth year as a Suns associate head coach.

"These [N-words] need a [N-word]," Sarver told the staffer of his largely Black team, according to the executive.
Now we know why Dan Majerle was not hired when he deserved to be the head coach. Because the owner was a racist.
Well I’d say it’s equally damning. I think it’s easier to focus on Watson because he’s actually named. Nobody knows who this executive is.
That isn't true. The reporters do. They are not just made up people.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

There are a lot of ways this can go. Unfortunately, one of the worst is one of the most likely outcomes. Sarver remains in position and he is hated even more around the league than previously. My best outcome is that Sarver is replaced with somebody in the ownership group that is a decent human being.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

My hot take is he will be gone by Xmas. Something else will come out or more details that will cause Players and Coaching staff and JJ to align against him. Best for the league is to have Sarver gone at this point. He’s been nothing but obnoxious to fans and now that details of his bullshit are coming out he’s delivering a black eye to the League now that we’re on the national stage.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Confirmation? Crawford didn't officially make a comment, but he liked this tweet.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Apparently the ownership agreement is pretty airtight about Sarver remaining the head of their group unless he is convicted of a serious crime. So I see the possible outcomes as -

A - Sarver is censured by the NBA
B - Sarver is fined by the NBA
C - Sarver is suspended by the NBA
D - Sarver steps down as Managing Partner
E - Sarver sells the franchise

I think the most likely outcome is B or C. A would be a weak response and D and E are pretty unlikely unless Sarver is tired of being the owner (but we know he revels in the attention). The league has always been loathe to suspend owners, even Mark Cuban, Ted Stepien, Donald Sterling, George Shinn and James Dolan have avoided it, so I think a fine is the most likely outcome, but I wouldn't rule out a suspension completely.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:26 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:09 pm
I almost wonder if espn did try to squash the story(why it didn’t come out when originally planned) only to have someone(probably earl watson or Klutch) leak that the story existed to get it published. I really don’t know what to think here, Sarver certainly has been a jerk, no question. I don’t know that there’s been any public stuff that would make me think he’s been racist. But that kind of behavior often stays private. He’s got quite a few people who spent a lot of time with him in the organization who are supporting him. This seems to largely be coming from Earl Watson who clearly has a personal issue with Sarver and because of that I’m not sure how credible he is. I hope they do investigate it and the truth comes out. Let’s get Sarver out of there or get Watson what he deserves for making stuff up.
I don't understand why everyone is focusing on Watson's accusations, just because he is the biggest name on record. The Watson stuff is nowhere near as damning as the former executive's allegations, in which Sarver actually used the N-word on his own:
Sarver once used the N-word when trying to explain to a staffer why he preferred hiring Lindsey Hunter over Dan Majerle as head coach in 2013, according to a high-level executive who heard the remark. Hunter was a first-year Suns player development coordinator while Majerle was in his fifth year as a Suns associate head coach.

"These [N-words] need a [N-word]," Sarver told the staffer of his largely Black team, according to the executive.
Now we know why Dan Majerle was not hired when he deserved to be the head coach. Because the owner was a racist.
Well I’d say it’s equally damning. I think it’s easier to focus on Watson because he’s actually named. Nobody knows who this executive is.
That isn't true. The reporters do. They are not just made up people.
Well yes, I wasn’t implying they were made up. Just that is common folk don’t know who it is. Whether it’s fair or not, words from a named source stand out more.

Indy

Post by Indy »

You don't have to suffer through that video. All he says is he supports the team/players/people and trusts Adam Silver to do a great investigation.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Superbone wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:58 pm
PHNX Suns podcast discusses the allegations and article.
Can I just say that I hate the PHNX abbreviation?
Finks, yeah it’s awful

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Apparently if you’re the owner of an NBA team you can depants a 25 year old employee in front of 60+ employees and everyone will just act like it was all in good fun.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:27 pm
Apparently if you’re the owner of an NBA team you can depants a 25 year old employee in front of 60+ employees and everyone will just act like it was all in good fun.
Can you imagine if a lower management-level employee did that instead of Sarver? They would have been fired immediately.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.