Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by specialsauce »

So they’re okay with everything he did. Roll.

Split T

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Split T »

Obviously they’re not ok with everything he did, they suspended him a year and fined him $10 million. I wish they forced him to sell as well, but I think we have to realize that it’s up to more than just the nba. It’s up to the 29 other owners. We can talk about them forcing Sterling to sell, but Sarver’s misdeeds did not reach the level of Sterlings. I wish we(and the suns employees specifically) didn’t have to put up with someone casually making racist/sexist comments, but it’s hard to get rid of someone who owns something. Maybe he’ll decide to sell anyways, or if not, hopefully this was a major wake up call and he makes some serious changes to his behavior.

Split T

Post by Split T »

And here’s to a year without Sarver making decisions! Does that mean Jahm Najafi makes the financial decisions? Spend all the money now, haha

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Forcing him to sell would have to be a decision by the Board of Governors, and how many of them would want their conduct examined under a microscope?

The $10 million fine is significant because it's the maximum the league is allowed to levy against an owner.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:27 am
Forcing him to sell would have to be a decision by the Board of Governors, and how many of them would want their conduct examined under a microscope?

The $10 million fine is significant because it's the maximum the league is allowed to levy against an owner.
Ya I never expected them to force a sell. They did with Sterling, but he was well beyond Sarver from a misconduct standpoint. The unfortunate truth is there’s probably some comments or misdeeds in a few of the owners histories that are similar to what Sarver did. They can’t vote Sarver out and set a precedent in case their misdeeds come to light. Sucks, but it’s the reality

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:14 am
So they’re okay with everything he did. Roll.
They're OK with it? Did you read the three page report?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks for posting, Split. That seems to be about what was expected. Sarver is a rich asshole without boundaries. We knew that. The guy needs some serious introspection and behavior correction. And on top of that, he let his attitudes filter down throughout the company. That's bad leadership but what you would expect from an immature asshole.

A 10 million dollar fine is not insignificant even to Sarver. I'm glad the NBA is now involved in changing the culture of the organization. Let's hope that it effective. I am proud of my company and our leadership. It makes a big difference. I hope the Suns organization can learn how to talk to and respect one another. Sarver is being watched and he knows it and will have to be on his best behavior going forward. Let's hope it's not short lived.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:40 am
The alcoholic can't admit that he's an alcoholic. That bothers me.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

NBA is getting a lot of crap for the punishment, that crap should be directed at the other 29 owners, not Adam Silver, he’s just their pawn. He doled out a maximum fine and suspended him for a year.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

A lot of what he did probably takes place in a lot of work places, it's just that the NBA, and other large corporations aren't going to tolerate that kind of behavior.

He's overbearing, insensitive and unprofessional, but not on the Donald Sterling level (although that's a pretty low bar). A year-long suspension from running a multi-billion company is pretty significant, hopefully he learns something from this.

I don't think any of us are going to miss him.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:41 am
NBA is getting a lot of crap for the punishment, that crap should be directed at the other 29 owners, not Adam Silver, he’s just their pawn. He doled out a maximum fine and suspended him for a year.
I'm guessing that all the owner's are all part of a good ol' boys club that can't/won't point fingers as they engage in some of the same behavior.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:44 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:41 am
I'm guessing that all the owner's are all part of a good ol' boys club that can't/won't point fingers as they engage in some of the same behavior.
They certainly don't want the lawsuit that would be sure to follow and would include an investigation into their own behavior.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

No new thread?

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:43 am
A lot of what he did probably takes place in a lot of work places, it's just that the NBA, and other large corporations aren't going to tolerate that kind of behavior.

He's overbearing, insensitive and unprofessional, but not on the Donald Sterling level (although that's a pretty low bar). A year-long suspension from running a multi-billion company is pretty significant, hopefully he learns something from this.

I don’t get this. How? Can someone explain to why Donald Sterling is worst??? Other then saying he was caught in 4K saying fucked up shit for all to hear? Yeah, recording is damning but the NBA investigation interviewed 320 people and 80k documents and their takeaway was he 100% said the N-Word multiple times, committed sexual harassment, inappropriate touching employees and extremely toxic work environment. I don’t see the major difference here to be honest.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

My money is on that he will attempt to break his 18 year old new toy the second he is permitted to and will be made worse after the one year. People with these type of personality problems don’t just get better. Diversity training is a joke. You don’t mistreat women or people of color without motivation of bias against them. It’s more than just being insensitive. I believe in restorative justice but not for people of this sort of wealth and power. Watch, he will over react after his narcissistic injury and suspension are over.
Last edited by Drewsprocket on Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

This +1000000000

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

So does this mean that James Jones could sign Cam Johnson to a max contract extension and Sarver would have to pay him? :lol:
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:00 am
The Bobster wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:43 am

I don’t get this. How? Can someone explain to why Donald Sterling is worst??? Other then saying he was caught in 4K saying fucked up shit for all to hear? Yeah, recording is damning but the NBA investigation interviewed 320 people and 80k documents and their takeaway was he 100% said the N-Word multiple times, committed sexual harassment, inappropriate touching employees and extremely toxic work environment. I don’t see the major difference here to be honest.
The difference is the live recording people were able to stream. We have little Sarver audio or video clips that can make the rounds. The eulogy was I think it and apparently not enough to gross anyone out.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Sterling had a history of being a slum lord, along with a long list of sexual harassment and discriminations lawsuits filed against him. He was also caught on video making much worse comments about African-Americans than the comments that Sarver was apparently quoting.

Hey, Sarver's an idiot, but I'm sure this is about as strong a punishment as the NBA Board of Governors is willing to put out because I'm sure some of them have similar behavior in their past.