Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Split T »

Obviously nothing wrong with wanting to protect her children…I’m just failing to see what she’s protecting them from. I don’t see how they’re in any sort of danger.

Indy

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:27 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:23 am
If your dad is a racist/misogynist than you must be too? Seems like a weird thing to be worried about. It sounds like she is looking out for herself, not her kids.
I’m just curious. Do you make it a point to disagree with everything I say? Even something a simple as a basic instinct from a mother to protect her children?
Nope and didn't mean it to come off that way. No offense intended, SRI.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:44 am
Obviously nothing wrong with wanting to protect her children…I’m just failing to see what she’s protecting them from. I don’t see how they’re in any sort of danger.
that was my point. you made it better.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

SunsRIt wrote:
Indy wrote:
If your dad is a racist/misogynist than you must be too? Seems like a weird thing to be worried about. It sounds like she is looking out for herself, not her kids.
I’m just curious. Do you make it a point to disagree with everything I say? Even something a simple as a basic instinct from a mother to protect her children?
It’s not a pointed attack. He’s pointing out what should be obvious to everyone. Basic instinct would be if her children were being accused of misogyny or racism. And even then, you’d be advised to not tamper with witnesses or do things that draw more attention to make you look like a villain. Spelling this stuff out feels silly. You either get it or you don’t.
Acting like a victim is a poor defense and a primitive one at that.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:49 am
SunsRIt wrote:
Indy wrote:
It’s not a pointed attack. He’s pointing out what should be obvious to everyone. Basic instinct would be if her children were being accused of misogyny or racism. And even then, you’d be advised to not tamper with witnesses or do things that draw more attention to make you look like a villain. Spelling this stuff out feels silly. You either get it or you don’t.
Here is my thought process behind wanting to protect her children. I'm not sure how old their kids are, but I thought they still had some that were school age. I might be wrong.

I know children who have taken their own lives or attempted to do so due to bullying, not in person, but online. These kids weren't misfits or outcasts, but good kids with solid, loving homelives. The bullying came from their "friends" and people they knew at school. Allegations or stories would be made about them or their families and spread on social media and the internet. Imagine that not on a school level, but coming from trolls statewide or even nationwide. The anxiety rate among teenagers in this country has gone from 1 in 25 when we were kids(I know, a long time ago) to 1 in 4 due to social media, the internet and even COVID isolation and restrictions. Any and every mother should worry about these things.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:31 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
Indy wrote:
Here is my thought process behind wanting to protect her children. I'm not sure how old their kids are, but I thought they still had some that were school age. I might be wrong.

I know children who have taken their own lives or attempted to do so due to bullying, not in person, but online. These kids weren't misfits or outcasts, but good kids with solid, loving homelives. The bullying came from their "friends" and people they knew at school. Allegations or stories would be made about them or their families and spread on social media and the internet. Imagine that not on a school level, but coming from trolls statewide or even nationwide. The anxiety rate among teenagers in this country has gone from 1 in 25 when we were kids(I know, a long time ago) to 1 in 4 due to social media, the internet and even COVID isolation and restrictions. Any and every mother should worry about these things.
I think their youngest is 20 years old. I do agree with some of what you are saying in that you are impacted, as a child, by how your parents are portrayed, especially in the limelight. That being said, if Sarver is a racist blowhard, you can't sugarcoat it to make it easier for his kids. He made his bed over many years by being who he is.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:14 am
Nodack wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:11 am
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:02 pm
NEW STORY from Baxter Holmes:

Penny Sarver, wife of Robert Sarver, sent messages to three former Phoenix Suns employees
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/325 ... -employees
"This is Penny Sarver," one message began. "I know a lot of bridges were burned between you and Robert and you are very bitter. I want to remind you that real lives are at stake here."

Later, the message added, "Please put your hatred aside and realize the hurt you are causing by spreading lies and fabrications. Is your time in the spotlight that important? If something happens to one of my children, I will hold you and Earl Watson personally responsible. Think about your own child for a second and imagine the tables turned."
And yet she claims: "Any suggestion that I tried to 'intimidate' anyone is as silly as it is wrong and outrageous."

LOL.
From her perspective they are lying and fabricating these stories to hurt her husband, which hurts her family too. She doesn’t say I will hunt you down and kill you. She says she will hold them responsible. GM has had my car in their dealer parking lot for two months waiting for repairs. I hold them responsible. That doesn’t mean I am threatening them or intimidating them. Not a smart move by her I guess but, from her email she clearly doesn’t believe they are telling the truth. She would only get the perspective her husband gives her since she probably has no first hand knowledge and therefore doesn’t really tell us anything. If he was guilty he probably didn’t tell her the truth and if he is innocent and told her that, it is still just hearsay. She has lived with him for many years and she probably knows him better than anyone else on earth.
The perceived threat is in this statement:

“Think about your own child for a second and imagine the tables turned."

As in, if anything happens to my family, I will come after yours.
I object your honor. Leading the witness.

Or as in, think about what this would be doing to your family if this was happening to you and would you want that? Why are you lying and fabricating this stuff. It’s hurting our family. Stop it.

I don’t like Sarver. I would be happy with a new owner. I believe in real courts, not the court of public opinion where you are guilty until proven innocent.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
Indy wrote:

Those are fair concerns and she should do everything she can to care for her kids. But people have been talking openly about Sarver being an asshole for his entire tenure. And if she was really worrying about her kids, sending a text to a guy she openly says is (regardless of truth):

1) Talking to the media
2) Had a big fight with your husband
3) Is very bitter
4) Cares a lot about being in the spotlight

You don't send that person a text and NOT think it will get out. Maybe it is just her intelligence on display, but the best things you can do for your kids if you want to protect them is make sure they have the support they need at home, at school, and in therapy. It isn't sending texts to the guy your husband pissed off.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:21 am
SunsRIt wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
Indy wrote:

Those are fair concerns and she should do everything she can to care for her kids. But people have been talking openly about Sarver being an asshole for his entire tenure. And if she was really worrying about her kids, sending a text to a guy she openly says is (regardless of truth):

1) Talking to the media
2) Had a big fight with your husband
3) Is very bitter
4) Cares a lot about being in the spotlight

You don't send that person a text and NOT think it will get out. Maybe it is just her intelligence on display, but the best things you can do for your kids if you want to protect them is make sure they have the support they need at home, at school, and in therapy. It isn't sending texts to the guy your husband pissed off.
I don't disagree. You never know what a mom will do to try to protect her kids.

Sorry about the previous question Indy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:53 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:14 am

Or as in, think about what this would be doing to your family if this was happening to you and would you want that? Why are you lying and fabricating this stuff. It’s hurting our family. Stop it.

I don’t like Sarver. I would be happy with a new owner. I believe in real courts, not the court of public opinion where you are guilty until proven innocent.
;) I'm just interpreting the potential threat. Not saying it was definitely meant that way. For her sake and her family's sake, I hope they were lies. But yeah, probably not the best way to go about protecting her family.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

SunsRIt wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
Indy wrote:

I’m a psychotherapist. These concerns are bullsh!t. It’s our lack of concern and accountability over misogyny, toxic work environments, and racism that underly suicidality. This isn’t a case of cyberbullying. These arguments are just pathetic attempts at playing the victim or tone policing.
As a fan I’m stoked to see accountability for our team as one there will be a better mgt for our roster and two a small amount of justice where it’s due.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:10 am
SunsRIt wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
Indy wrote:

I’m a psychotherapist. These concerns are bullsh!t. It’s our lack of concern and accountability over misogyny, toxic work environments, and racism that underly suicidality. This isn’t a case of cyberbullying. These arguments are just pathetic attempts at playing the victim or tone policing.
As a fan I’m stoked to see accountability for our team as one there will be a better mgt for our roster and two a small amount of justice where it’s due.
So your saying cyber bullying doesn’t exist in teenagers?

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:05 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:10 am
SunsRIt wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

So your saying cyber bullying doesn’t exist in teenagers?
I’m saying this has nothing to do with cyberbullying. Pivoting to being some sort of victim is what it is. That people accept this sort of defense mechanism is part of the problem- and what makes it so hard for people to speak up for themselves in a toxic work environment.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It may not fit in this case, but of course bullying can lead to suicidality in teenagers (and young adults).

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm glad that was cleared up! Thanks, 'Bazz. Wow, really bad form on Jalen's part. I'm frankly relieved.
"Be Legendary."

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:02 pm

Smartest thing would of course have been to not write this email.
But I imagine she's just afraid for her children (bullying like some mentionned)
The way I understand it she basically said "Imagine you're in my situation, how would you feel, won't you be afraid for your children? so please stop with your lies".

I really see no threat there and am a bit amaze someone can.
Everybody's free to have an opinion, but the Sarver hate seems so high with some that every sentence is taken the worst way possible.

Let's not go the witch hunt way. I'll wait for the NBA investigation.
A proverb says "When anyone replies to a matter before he hears the facts, It is foolish and humiliating."
Actually, I'm feeling very uncomfortable with the way some are jumping on articles as proofs. To me "someone said that" is not a proof.
For example, Bickley said himself his informations were second hand and maybe his source was citing the same person who told Jalen Rose. So maybe there's only one person, and we still have to discover if it's not made up.

Here in Belgium, we had a huge criminal case, the "Dutroux case". Dutroux was a child abuser who murdered several of them and the entire country became paranoid. For years. Accusations were thrown without proofs. Because one hated their neighbour, because one was seeking for attention, because one wanted to be part of it, even just for the joke. And people believed it without any real proofs. And lifes were destroyed.

So yeah, I'm not confortable with this thread. I read it, because I fear this situation impacts the play of the team (and Ayton's situation), and didn't want to respond, but I felt I finally had to. This kind of reminds me of this dark era (all the kept proportions).
Again, you're free to disagree.

PS: and I don't like the opportunism of this Najafi guy.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Where do I collect my payout?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I couldn't write any better.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

"Jalen is out of the country"....where there's no internet or social media access that he can make this statement himself? Is this one of those "scheduled vacations" broadcasters sometimes take when they say things they shouldn't?

Never been a fan of Jalen. Glad that was cleared up and hope he's "out of country" with no pay.