Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Split T »

I feel like they won’t ever announce anything. At some point someone will ask about it and they will say that internal changes were made and Sarver agreed to oversight and has cooperated and no further actions were deemed necessary.

JeremyG

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by JeremyG »

I’m starting to be on Al Sharpton’s side now. Almost year into this is absolutely ridiculous.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:23 am
I feel like they won’t ever announce anything. At some point someone will ask about it and they will say that internal changes were made and Sarver agreed to oversight and has cooperated and no further actions were deemed necessary.
There's no way they can sweep what's been a national news story under the rug. Speaking of Sharpton, I'm surprised we haven't heard from him again on the issue. This is taking way longer than it should. Commissioner Silver said it was ending "soon" a month ago.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:33 am
Split T wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:23 am
There's no way they can sweep what's been a national news story under the rug. Speaking of Sharpton, I'm surprised we haven't heard from him again on the issue. This is taking way longer than it should. Commissioner Silver said it was ending "soon" a month ago.
I feel like they already have…nobody cares anymore. Nobody seems to be asking. It’s been buried.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well I said that and then opened Twitter and saw this:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Is it possible Sharpton is a closet Suns fan? ;)

Well, I'd think his ask to PayPal to end their partnership with the Suns would be based on the findings from the investigation. And either way, I'd think the relationship would probably stay. Either Sarver is exonerated and stays or he is forced out. I suppose there could be an in-between result where Sarver is admonished for some of his behavior and given a warning to do better or else and is allowed to stay on.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:33 pm
Is it possible Sharpton is a closet Suns fan? ;)

Well, I'd think his ask to PayPal to end their partnership with the Suns would be based on the findings from the investigation. And either way, I'd think the relationship would probably stay. Either Sarver is exonerated and stays or he is forced out. I suppose there could be an in-between result where Sarver is admonished for some of his behavior and given a warning to do better or else and is allowed to stay on.
This seems right to me. PayPal can wait until the investigation is done. If Sarver is found guilty, they can abandon him, or if he is forced to sell the team, they can remain a sponsor with the new owners. If he's found not guilty, arguably there is no merit to their abandoning him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

If nothing happens, you know that several of the people will go public. And the results will come out, and the NBA will look awful again.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It would make sense for PayPal to wait until the investigation ends to make a decision. In Russia they call you a pedophile if they want you gone. It doesn’t have to be proved. The accusations are enough. Server has been tried and convicted in the court of public opinion long ago. He probably is all those things they say he is. I prefer they go through the motions of proving he is guilty of all those things before taking his businesses away from him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:20 pm
It would make sense for PayPal to wait until the investigation ends to make a decision. In Russia they call you a pedophile if they want you gone. It doesn’t have to be proved. The accusations are enough. Server has been tried and convicted in the court of public opinion long ago. He probably is all those things they say he is. I prefer they go through the motions of proving he is guilty of all those things before taking his businesses away from him.
In Russia? It's happening in the USA, dude.

And Sarver already lost his business.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Prepping to buy the Suns?

Arte Moreno Exploring Possible Sale Of Angels
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/ ... ngels.html

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Does he have a suns/Arizona connection?

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Split T wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:25 pm
Does he have a suns/Arizona connection?
Born in Tucson, UofA graduate and last reported to have a house in Phoenix. And tried to buy the Diamondbacks before buying the Angels. Pretty good AZ connection.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

He's been an utterly shitty baseball owner. Lucked into a historically great player in Mike Trout who wants to stay with the organization, and then also got Shohei Ohtani, and has wasted MVP-caliber years from both of those guys because he has no conception of the importance of developing an entire team; spends money to make a splash, not to put a winning framework in place.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BKinSJC wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:52 pm
He's been an utterly shitty baseball owner. Lucked into a historically great player in Mike Trout who wants to stay with the organization, and then also got Shohei Ohtani, and has wasted MVP-caliber years from both of those guys because he has no conception of the importance of developing an entire team; spends money to make a splash, not to put a winning framework in place.
Just bring the money and let James Jones take care of the rest.

"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:02 pm
BKinSJC wrote:
The article also claims that he never paid the luxury tax, so…

Riding a couple stars into playoffs appearances, but unwilling to develop an entire team, most precisely homegrown talent, all this while avoiding the luxury tax and getting the team into management scandals… I’m pretty sure I have seen this movie before…

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:06 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:02 pm
BKinSJC wrote:
The article also claims that he never paid the luxury tax, so…

Riding a couple stars into playoffs appearances, but unwilling to develop an entire team, most precisely homegrown talent, all this while avoiding the luxury tax and getting the team into management scandals… I’m pretty sure I have seen this movie before…
I had just heard people clamoring for him in the past. I didn’t know he had run the Angels so shoddily. Maybe we’re better off as is. We’ll see how this investigation turns out. Maybe we just keep the current ownership group but with a new face leading the way.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:20 pm
It would make sense for PayPal to wait until the investigation ends to make a decision.
Pretty sure the company that gave the world Elon Musk and Peter Thiel isn't going to be worried about a racist and sexist basketball team owner.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here it is

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Just a suspension? Fuck these fools