Around the League: Week 4 (11/7 - 11/13)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Around the League: Week 4 (11/7 - 11/13)

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:38 am

Oubre with some special sauce tonight…
The brilliance here is that statement sounds like something Oubre would say so the double meaning is well played :lol:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Oubre breaks the Hornets' scoring record off the bench the same night Frank breaks the Suns' scoring record off the bench...

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:06 am
Split T wrote:

Oubre with some special sauce tonight…
The brilliance here is that statement sounds like something Oubre would say so the double meaning is well played :lol:
Fools!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:14 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:02 pm
Picking a side between Luke Walton and Marvin Bagley is like eating soup with a fork.
Walton is worse. I’m not a huge Bagley guy, but the fact that they’re not playing him is bogus. Why is he even on the team? He’s had his struggles but he’s an insanely talented player. Cut him loose and let him play somewhere. I’m not a fan of players demanding trades, but I think teams holding players hostage is worse. He’s in a contract year, if you’re not going to play him, let him go play for his next deal.
I read that the on/off numbers for Bagley were pretty brutal, that he was hurting them a lot when he was out on the floor. I admit that I haven't watched him or the Kings closely so I don't really know for sure. But that's a team that desperately needs talented bigs, so if he were bringing that to the floor with him, you'd think he would be playing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:42 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:14 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:02 pm
Picking a side between Luke Walton and Marvin Bagley is like eating soup with a fork.
Walton is worse. I’m not a huge Bagley guy, but the fact that they’re not playing him is bogus. Why is he even on the team? He’s had his struggles but he’s an insanely talented player. Cut him loose and let him play somewhere. I’m not a fan of players demanding trades, but I think teams holding players hostage is worse. He’s in a contract year, if you’re not going to play him, let him go play for his next deal.
I read that the on/off numbers for Bagley were pretty brutal, that he was hurting them a lot when he was out on the floor. I admit that I haven't watched him or the Kings closely so I don't really know for sure. But that's a team that desperately needs talented bigs, so if he were bringing that to the floor with him, you'd think he would be playing.
He was actually a positive last year for them.

And my point though is get rid of him if you’re not going to play him. They’ve tried Alex Len, Tristan Thompson, Chimeze Metu, Damian Jones, Mo Harkless…like the kings aren’t good, none of those guys offer you anything really. Give Bagley those minutes and see what he can do. Or get rid of him, why is he on the roster if you’re going to play all those guys in front of him.

He’s not Jalen Smith, he’s 6’11 235, athletic, skilled and put up 14/7 every year of his career. Someone could find a use for him.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

Split T wrote:
More important : did he break the push-up record?

pickle

Post by pickle »

I really don't understand why you love Bagley so much Split. He hasn't really helped them win, and if I'm a Kings fan, I'd applaud Walton for making the tough decision to sit the 2nd overall pick in favor of a 5 mil a year backup (now a 55 million dollar man) who plays harder, shows up on defense, and brings more to the table overall.

I really haven't followed the advanced stats on Bagley much, but a quick look on bb-reference just now shows that other than his rookie year he's been a fairly negative impact on the court by all the advanced metrics. Add on top of it his pouting, and I'm not surprised at all that he's sitting.

I read that they looked into trading him but didn't... assuming that they didn't get anything worth pulling the trigger for.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

If Indiana's lead over Utah holds up the Suns will have the second best record in the West and the fourth best record in the NBA.

So a pretty quick recovery from that 1-3 start.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:14 pm
If Indiana's lead over Utah holds up the Suns will have the second best record in the West and the fourth best record in the NBA.

So a pretty quick recovery from that 1-3 start.
Indeed.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Gobert and Myles Turner just had a wrestling match and both got ejected, along with Ingles and Mitchell. Pacers lead by 13 but Brogdon misses the technical free throw.

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:33 pm
I really don't understand why you love Bagley so much Split. He hasn't really helped them win, and if I'm a Kings fan, I'd applaud Walton for making the tough decision to sit the 2nd overall pick in favor of a 5 mil a year backup (now a 55 million dollar man) who plays harder, shows up on defense, and brings more to the table overall.

I really haven't followed the advanced stats on Bagley much, but a quick look on bb-reference just now shows that other than his rookie year he's been a fairly negative impact on the court by all the advanced metrics. Add on top of it his pouting, and I'm not surprised at all that he's sitting.

I read that they looked into trading him but didn't... assuming that they didn't get anything worth pulling the trigger for.
I don’t really love him all that much, just think it’s crazy they aren’t playing him or that they didn’t trade him. They’ve essentially admitted he’s worthless, clearly they won’t bring him back next year and now he has zero trade value. Major mismanagement there after making a colossal mistake drafting him 2nd in a loaded draft.

And I’d be pissed if I was him. I have no problems with Holmes taking his spot, Holmes is clearly better, I love Holmes, but Mo Harkless? Tristan Thompson? Alex Len? Are those guys really helping you? Would you take Bagley’s minutes away to play them? Not me

pickle

Post by pickle »

The Clippers Heat game is also coming down to the wire. Lowry has scored 22 points in the 4th.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:48 pm
pickle wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:33 pm

I don’t really love him all that much, just think it’s crazy they aren’t playing him or that they didn’t trade him. They’ve essentially admitted he’s worthless, clearly they won’t bring him back next year and now he has zero trade value. Major mismanagement there after making a colossal mistake drafting him 2nd in a loaded draft.

And I’d be pissed if I was him. I have no problems with Holmes taking his spot, Holmes is clearly better, I love Holmes, but Mo Harkless? Tristan Thompson? Alex Len? Are those guys really helping you? Would you take Bagley’s minutes away to play them? Not me
I understand your points, but those are the very reasons why I don't want to touch him for the Suns. One would assume that teams are rational and don't want to waste an asset willy nilly. So I assume that while Bagley might have put up numbers, he might have done things on the court that were not conducive to winning, to the point where the team would rather play Harkless (better defender who doesn't demand touches) or Len (better rim protector who doesn't demand touches) over developing him. It could be that the organization was pushing very hard for the playoffs and they sacrificed his development over one or two shorter term wins, but he did pout pretty heavily and the noise spilled outside the locker room, which as a casual follow of the Kings raises an alarm for me. I'd rather not touch someone who has limited upside but has a very realistic chance to derail the chemistry of our team.

I could be wrong and the Kings locker room could be totally toxic and Bagley could be a victim, but I'd rather not take that chance given what I've seen/read. Of course in the end it's all moot, we aren't making personnel decisions for the team.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You may be right, I don’t really know the circumstances. And I wouldn’t trade for him. Sure I guess if they wanted to move him for Jalen straight up I would entertain it, but not sure he has a role here either. At this point how do you take Frank out?

pickle

Post by pickle »

I still don't get why we don't give Stix more of a chance. He plays hard, he has a nose for the basketball, and he shoots the 3. Mikal wasn't so great with the 3 in his 1st year either. We are definitely going to err on the side of winning vs. youth development, but ... I'm just speechless.

carey

Post by carey »

The only thing I can think of is he is really lousy in practice. There was a situation where he had the ball in the paint a few games ago and it was just one of the most awkward things I’ve seen from a player in a while. You could tell he had no idea what to do and if you’ve been here a year and still don’t understand our offense it’s a problem.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

The NBA has a quicker pace, in general, than college ball.
And he's facing a much higher caliber of competition.
Some guys adjust, others are a bit intimidated.
It's like going from high school freshman ball to varsity the same season...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I honestly didn't read the story on Oshley so clueless but something went down or is going down.....

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:00 pm
I honestly didn't read the story on Oshley so clueless but something went down or is going down.....

Wait until you google the new guy.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Anyone here still willing to take Zion over Ayton? I remember having this argument last year. Telling folks how he'll always be injury prone due to his dimensions and athleticism. Many were convinced he was destined for greatness.

Still waiting for it. Still nowhere close to being healthy or in shape.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton