Around the League: Week 5 (11/14 - 11/20)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League: Week 5 (11/14 - 11/20)

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:33 pm
You guys are crazy. Kerr is a phenomenal coach.
Meh

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:25 pm
WTF did I just watch? I've liked what I've seen from Stewart so far in his career, but that was a completely unnecessary reaction.
Yeah, that was crazy. He was playing possum, acting like it was all good with his coaches and then took off again back into the fray. I’ve never even heard of this guy before. Figures that he’s on the Pistons.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Stewart is a young and promising center, a bit undersized but full of energy, though he's still learning the nuances of the game and hasn't been fully unleashed -- which is the right way to develop a younger player I'd say. Solid rebounder and defender, apparently can occasionally shoot the 3.

Speaking of which, I think Holmes used to shoot a couple of threes when he played for the 6ers, not sure why he doesn't do that anymore.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:38 pm
Yeah, LeBron deserves some blame for that. He clocked him pretty good, but to his credit, he seemed to try to calm Stewart's reaction. Not sure that's worth much though.
I once took a chair from another table on a college party, and a guy fell down trying to sit, unaware of my action. No matter how much I tried to reach out to him, he wanted to punch me. He went for me, but I managed to avoid the punch and he hit once again the ground, he was even more upset and nobody was able to calm him down, they had to carry him out Stewart style. Lebron did right trying to apologize, but he did threw an elbow out there, and unintended or not, he make contact with Stewart. Sometimes, “I’m sorry” just won’t cut it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It wasn't an inadvertent elbow. He intentionally punched him in the face.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:13 pm
It wasn't an inadvertent elbow. He intentionally punched him in the face.
Yeah, they had good angles on NBA TV. LeBron back handed him across the face and eye with some force.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

His intent was probably not to bloody him, but that swing clearly was meant to do harm. I'll be interested to see how the league hands out fines and suspensions after this.

A buddy of mine, a known LeBron supporter, said that this was a borderline unintentional act because Stewart leaned in, but I told him there's no borderline in this type of scenario. Either you intended to cheap shot him or you didn't. No grey zone I can think of.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:08 pm
Stewart is a young and promising center, a bit undersized but full of energy, though he's still learning the nuances of the game and hasn't been fully unleashed -- which is the right way to develop a younger player I'd say. Solid rebounder and defender, apparently can occasionally shoot the 3.

Speaking of which, I think Holmes used to shoot a couple of threes when he played for the 6ers, not sure why he doesn't do that anymore.
Apparently they call him Beef Stew.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Yikes.

pickle

Post by pickle »

The couple of games I watched of him this year, he definitely didn't look right. Hard to describe what, but this would explain a lot.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:55 am

Yikes.
And if what I saw from David Kevin on twitter is correct, they don't have any injury clauses in his contract like Philly did with Embiid. Double yikes.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:33 pm
His intent was probably not to bloody him, but that swing clearly was meant to do harm. I'll be interested to see how the league hands out fines and suspensions after this.

A buddy of mine, a known LeBron supporter, said that this was a borderline unintentional act because Stewart leaned in, but I told him there's no borderline in this type of scenario. Either you intended to cheap shot him or you didn't. No grey zone I can think of.
If it were the other way around and Stewart did that to Lebron, I would expect a 10 game suspension. This way, I would be surprised if it is more than 1, and I bet Stewart gets the worst of it for just *trying* to retaliate even though he didn't get to.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

I totally agree that was intentional. Lebron totally punched him.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:47 am
Shabazz wrote:

Yikes.
And if what I saw from David Kevin on twitter is correct, they don't have any injury clauses in his contract like Philly did with Embiid. Double yikes.
Big surprise he is hurt again. That’s why he fell so far in the draft.

pickle

Post by pickle »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Looked like they were battling at the line, Stewart gave 'Bron a little more than 'Bron liked and 'Bron took a swipe to send a message. The intent was there with the swipe. Stewart lost his mind tho afterwards...not sure what was said to set him off because he didn't go after 'Bron right away when he could've. Also, wasn't watching the game so not sure if it was getting chippy a few plays before and maybe there was some previous pushing and shoving. Guys like LeBron don't like lesser talented, harder working young guys trying to show them up.

If i were Stewart I'd claim a concussion and say I don't remember anything after lining up for the FT attempt.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Lot of interesting "Around the League" news right now. Wow, that Stewart vs Lebron scuffle from last night was crazy. I'm relieved that he didn't reach Lebron or Westbrook and wasn't able to turn it into a full-on fistfight. That could have easily turned into another Malice at the Palace situation. That dude was completely enraged. Not saying he had no right to be, but still, scary. And despite being held back several times, and then appearing to become calm, he'd repeatedly wiggle free and charge at the Lakers again. He even ran into the locker room, possibly trying to go around and come out the other side. Really scary situation. I bet the league hands down a HEFTY punishment to him. Suspended for mucho games or something like that.

RE: Walton firing. I don't think Walton is a great coach. But is this Kings roster really capable of much more? And is there really a better coach in the waiting for them? Meh. Blame the GMs who have brutally mismanaged their roster, drafts, and other assets. Bagley, Bogdanovic, all the various crappy bigs they've drafted, ... they made their own bed.

RE: Porter Jr. Oof. I feel bad for the Nuggets. First they lose Murray for a long time, now this. They have a reigning MVP and should be one of the very best teams in the league, but without those guys, it's going to be tough. Couple of lost seasons for them. That stinks. This should be their time. The West is kind of wide open. Scary to think that they're on the hook for a max for that guy for 4-5 years with all his injury history.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:31 am
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

Yikes.
Yeah, but they got a steal!
"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:56 am
SunsRIt wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:31 am
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

Yikes.
Yeah, but they got a steal!
They did, on his rookie contract, but bad extensions can be damning for a franchise for years. I was entirely surprised they gave the max to him and for that many years. Even entirely healthy, he didn’t strike me as a full max guy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That MPJ max was a killer towards any hopes the suns had at getting Ayton for anything less than the max. Ayton is better, I’m really not sure why Denver gave MPJ that big of a contract. It’s not fully guaranteed though.