Garnett on why he didn't win a title with the Suns (Hint: Sarver)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Garnett on why he didn't win a title with the Suns (Hint: Sarver)

Post by JeremyG »

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen this article posted here: https://www.gq.com/story/kevin-garnett-profile
The Celtics, Lakers, and Phoenix Suns were all on Garnett’s list. He remembers Steve Nash making a regretful phone call on behalf of Suns owner Robert Sarver, saying that Garnett would not only have to take a pay cut if he came to Phoenix, but that “they wasn't keeping all the pieces that I was asking for or requesting,” he says. “Steve Nash came to me and was very disappointed. He also apologized on behalf of Phoenix and ownership, and he was very, very, very deliberate about how much he wanted to play with me.”
It sounds like he wasn't sold on Boston and he couldn't get in touch with Kobe. Suns could have had him.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

BlaCkAdDa

Re: Garnett on why he didn't win a title with the Suns (Hint: Sarver)

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Interesting to know.. Surely it's not si ole though as it probably meant losing Amare or others at the time or bringing in others that we were questionable on.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

"I would love to play there if you could trade for me without giving anything up."

Well, no shit.

Also, once your contract is signed you can't take a pay cut in order to facilitate a trade. You can waive a trade kicker, but that's about it. So I doubt the truth of that part unless they were referring to a future contract. Garnett had two years, $48.5 million remaining on his contract, and then after that contract ended he took a $8 million pay cut with Boston anyway. Huh?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

... if Phoenix would have won the coin flip ... :lol: :lol:
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I remember hearing at the time that he wanted to play with Nash and Amare’, but minny wanted Amaré, maybe?

Pips

Post by Pips »

Minny wanted Amare but deal fall off after Marion rejected move to Boston and Boston then made direct deal for KG and Ainge got title of genius.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Amare for Garnett in retrospect would have been a good deal for us. I think we would have won at least one title if we'd had Garnett's nasty defense and competitiveness in our starting lineup.