Suns News: Week 7(11/29 - 12/5)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: Week 7(11/29 - 12/5)

Post by Indy »

Shawn's 16 year career is obviously more impressive than Mikal's 3 year career.

But the trajectory Mikal is on is already up there with anything Shawn did.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:03 pm
Matrix is undeniably better than Bridges, though. I love me some Mikal Bridges, maybe my favorite current Sun, but Marion was a way better overall player. Marion would not only guard the other team's best player, but he'd also end up with 20 points and 8-10 rebounds, he'd run the floor like a gazelle, fly through the sky for alley-oops and dunks, and had a really nice game around the rim with a variety of little flip shots, hooks, floaters, and putbacks. He did a great job in "garbage" plays where he'd jump up for an offensive rebound, grab it, land, and jump again to lay it back in before the other players had even finished jumping. Got a ton of points on little shots like that.

I do agree with the tweeters that Bridges probably has better dribbling handles than Marion, and that Bridges has a smoother overall shooting form. If Marion had become able to create his own shots and dribble a bit more smoothly, he would have been almost unstoppable. As he was, he was an extremely valuable player and arguably more important to the SSOL Suns than Amare Stoudemire, second only to Steve Nash. And he's been criminally underrated, both in his own era and still today.
I mean, overall, for their careers, sure. But if the Mikal we've been seeing lately is the Mikal we can expect regularly, he's a menace. One of the best defensive players in the NBA and he has a much better stroke than Marion. Yeah, the Matrix could rebound. But Bridges is a more versatile defender with better handles, a better stroke and a better IQ. Marion was an athletic freak but I don't think he's got the basketball IQ Bridges has.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oh didn't know the Book socks story
That's kinda kool
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Now I want to know what is so special about NBA socks.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't know who was manufacturing the socks when Booker was in high school, but anyone can buy essentially the same socks the players use from Nike. They're just missing the NBA logo.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:40 pm
Now I want to know what is so special about NBA socks.
I've worn them. They're nice. I have at least one pair, maybe two.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:15 pm
Gotta love Shawn responding on Twitter about a discussion of him vs Mikal

I'm not even convinced that this was Shawn actually tweeting this. It didn't have, "ya know" or "ya know what I'm saying". Just "you don't know..."
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:46 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:15 pm
Gotta love Shawn responding on Twitter about a discussion of him vs Mikal

I'm not even convinced that this was Shawn actually tweeting this. It didn't have, "ya know" or "ya know what I'm saying". Just "you don't know..."
He didn't talk about cartoons either.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Watching Kaminsky shoot without getting off the floor, I wonder if that's a blessing or a curse. For a guy like him, not particularly athletic and not the focal point of any offense, I guess it helps prolong his career and he's able to pull that off. Other bigs also don't seem to jump that much, guys like Jokic, LMA, also don't think Towns/Embiid get any lift on their shots.

Hate watched the Laker/Kings 3 OT game last night, and Haliburton's standing set shot definitely hurts his ability to get his shot off when tightly guarded. Any other modern wing/guard that shoots without jumping?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Love Mikal, it’s simply way too early to try and compare him to Shawn. Marion was a legit #2 on playoff teams and an overqualified #3. Mikal has not made it to Shawns level yet. As good as Mikal is on D, Shawn was just as good, if not better. More versatile for sure. Shawn was better on offense too, a 20/10 lock.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Even if Bridges increases his scoring, it doesn't seem that he'll ever get close to Marion's level of rebounding. Rebounding seems to be undervalued these days. It's disappointing that none of our forwards (especially Johnson and Bridges) seem to care to even be decent rebounders.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shawn had to cover for a lot of bad defenders, but I don't remember him as a lock down defender. Maybe because the team had so many bad defenders, he couldn't concentrate on locking down his matchup. His rebounding was next level though.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I’d argue that Marion defended Dirk Nowitzki better than any other defender he faced in his prime.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:18 pm
I’d argue that Marion defended Dirk Nowitzki better than any other defender he faced in his prime.
That's why Dallas had to acquire Marion in order to win a championship. :)
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:06 pm
Watching Kaminsky shoot without getting off the floor, I wonder if that's a blessing or a curse. For a guy like him, not particularly athletic and not the focal point of any offense, I guess it helps prolong his career and he's able to pull that off. Other bigs also don't seem to jump that much, guys like Jokic, LMA, also don't think Towns/Embiid get any lift on their shots.

Hate watched the Laker/Kings 3 OT game last night, and Haliburton's standing set shot definitely hurts his ability to get his shot off when tightly guarded. Any other modern wing/guard that shoots without jumping?
Bledsoe had a set shot right? I don’t jump when I take catch and shoot 3s, but I do jump off the dribble.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:32 pm
Even if Bridges increases his scoring, it doesn't seem that he'll ever get close to Marion's level of rebounding. Rebounding seems to be undervalued these days. It's disappointing that none of our forwards (especially Johnson and Bridges) seem to care to even be decent rebounders.
I think it’s more by design…we want Bridges leaking out in transition. We kinda let Ayton/McGee do all the rebounding. Team rebounding is important, but I think individual rebounding numbers are misleading.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:18 pm
You could be right. I just don't remember it. Maybe it's long covid fog, haha.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He was also the primary defender on Lebron when dallas beat Miami in the finals and LeBron had an awful series.

We put Marion on everyone from Tony Parker to KG and Dirk. I remember him giving Dirk a lot of trouble. I remember a specific game saving block of Dirk that was just a typical Marion play.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That's true.