Game Day: Pistons (4-17) @ Suns (18-3), Thurs 02/12/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Game Day: Pistons (4-17) @ Suns (18-3), Thurs 02/12/21

Post by Mori Chu »

The Suns had a "faith and family night" for the Detroit game where they sang Christian rock songs at halftime. I am not anti-Christian or anti-religion at all, but it bothers me when people give one religion special treatment or status over others. America is majority-Christian, but we are not a solely Christian nation and the freedom for everyone to practice whatever religion (as well as being an atheist or agnostic) and all coexist together is one of our great strengths IMO. My problem with the halftime show is that you know there's no WAY they would ever do, say, Jewish night or Muslim night or whatever. Can you imagine if they announced that next week's game was Islamic faith night? The yokels would burn the arena down. So I just don't like giving one faith a special status over others, even if it is the majority faith in this country. I suspect I'm veering close to the threshold where it ought to go in the Politics folder, so I'll stop there.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:37 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:38 pm
Yeah I always skip HT. What was it?
It apparently was “faith and family” night at the arena and they had some awful Christian Rock band performing.

Just clarifying, in case anyone is sensitive, that the music itself was awful. I had it on in the background and noticed how bad it was. The lyrics were pretty aggressively religious too and that may have turned some people off.
This is where I landed as well. "Faith and Family Night", whatever. That's just a marketing scheme to sell tickets to a game against the Pistons.

It was only when I heard the lyrics from the band that I started to get annoyed. The literal definition of too preachy.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

How big is footprint center? 16k attendance is full house now or people didn’t come out for the potential franchise record 18th straight win?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:35 pm
The Suns had a "faith and family night" for the Detroit game where they sang Christian rock songs at halftime. I am not anti-Christian or anti-religion at all, but it bothers me when people give one religion special treatment or status over others. America is majority-Christian, but we are not a solely Christian nation and the freedom for everyone to practice whatever religion (as well as being an atheist or agnostic) and all coexist together is one of our great strengths IMO. My problem with the halftime show is that you know there's no WAY they would ever do, say, Jewish night or Muslim night or whatever. Can you imagine if they announced that next week's game was Islamic faith night? The yokels would burn the arena down. So I just don't like giving one faith a special status over others, even if it is the majority faith in this country. I suspect I'm veering close to the threshold where it ought to go in the Politics folder, so I'll stop there.
The Suns are a private organization, not a government entity, so if they want to give special treatment if they decide that it's in their best interest or that it's what they want to do, then that is up to them.

This may have been a James Jones decision, since he is an outspoken Christian.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I can’t imagine James Jones having anything to do with planning halftime shows..he’s got way more important things to worry about

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
In fairness to them, they do have a Jewish Heritage night and a Pride Night. And while I couldn't find a Suns' example of Islamic heritage night, I did see other teams have them.

I don't really mind it. It's a way to connect to individual communities and to increase attendance figures by giving cheaper group rates to churches, schools, synagogues, etc. But maybe you're saying that the "faith" is automatically assumed to be Christian, which I guess is an issue.

I think people may be unwittingly reacting negatively to the shitty band. The singer braying "Jesus, your name is the one" in what sounded like a poor man's Creed song was a little off-putting. If it was a gospel choir singing the same lyrics, people probably would have dug it.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:22 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
In fairness to them, they do have a Jewish Heritage night and a Pride Night. And while I couldn't find a Suns' example of Islamic heritage night, I did see other teams have them.

I don't really mind it. It's a way to connect to individual communities and to increase attendance figures by giving cheaper group rates to churches, schools, synagogues, etc. But maybe you're saying that the "faith" is automatically assumed to be Christian, which I guess is an issue.

I think people may be unwittingly reacting negatively to the shitty band. The singer braying "Jesus, your name is the one" in what sounded like a poor man's Creed song was a little off-putting. If it was a gospel choir singing the same lyrics, people probably would have dug it.
Well, considering Creed was a bad Christian band...or just a bad band, I just can't imagine a poor man's Creed song.