Suns (23-5) @ Lakers (16-15), Tues 21/12/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
LazarusLong

Re: Suns (23-5) @ Lakers (16-15), Tues 21/12/21

Post by LazarusLong »

"If you just go with their preferred starting lineup. If you are talking real full strength as in all their useful players I’m pretty sure it’s zero since Ariza just came back (yes he’s important to them) and Nunn hasn’t seen the court in forever."

Suns could use that argument, also. No Saric yet ... he was a rotation player.
Kaminsky and Nader out for a substantial part of the season.

I guess I'm a bit tired of the Lakers melodrama and excuses. "If only ..."
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

pickle

Post by pickle »

Yeah. Nobody is shedding a tear for the Lakers. Plenty of people gave them shit for having one of the oldest rosters in recent memory, and several respected journalists such as Lowe are putting out content that clearly point towards the Lakers not being contenders this year. I was personally not ready to write them off because I didn’t want to set myself up for pain down the road but they looked gawd awful today and I was more than thrilled to see it.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I don't think the game announcers were nearly as bad as the studio coverage of the came.

That was truly annoying.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

pickle wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:12 am
Shel, you are amazing for the tweet aggregation. I get logged out every time I like a post and I figure once in a while your time and effort deserves an actual post instead of a silent thumbs up. Thank you!!!
My pleasure. I figured some folks might not be on Twitter so this keeps them in the loop on the relevant Suns related stuff. Always easier to post those after a win!

pickle

Post by pickle »

Ain’t that the truth… I still avoid all the game day threads for losing games.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:28 am
I don't think the game announcers were nearly as bad as the studio coverage of the came.

That was truly annoying.
Without Barkley, it falls on Shaq to get things rolling, and he's a die-hard Lakers fan (which I understand).
Ernie is vanilla, but is better than the guy that replaced him last night. He was the equivalent of Tom Leander.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:10 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:01 am
This is the first game I've re-watched since the win streak. I couldn't pass up an opportunity to watch a Lakers ass kicking twice.

I hope Reggie Miller got a check from the Lakers tonight, or maybe his TV analysis was payment for the cost of his young son's courtside seat next to the Lakers bench. Ridiculously one-sided, even for someone as obtuse as Reggie Miller.

This team is so damn good right now and they really embarrassed the Lakers for most of this game. I'm sure they're feeling great after that win, and I just hope they get out of LA COVID-free.
Miller commented several times that the Lakers hit the Suns multiple times and didn’t get any reviews, including that hit by THT to Crowder’s nether region. I guess I’ve been conditioned to not expect any active coverage of the Suns by the national media so I was strangely unbothered by the broadcast.
Agreed. I didn't hear anything from him that made me think he was being a lakers homer.

Lebron James (arguably the best basketball player ever) and the Lakers (17 championships to our none) are rightly going to get the press and accolades, even if their current team isn't good.

Our franchise just hasn't earned that respect--not even once in over 50 years. I hope that changes soon.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I only watched the 2nd half, but I heard Miller say something about the suns and the finals and that hopefully they’ll be back this year. Maybe he meant that we are hoping to be back, but it almost sounded like he was hoping for it. I didn’t have a problem with Reggie

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:30 am
pickle wrote:
Shel, you are amazing for the tweet aggregation. I get logged out every time I like a post and I figure once in a while your time and effort deserves an actual post instead of a silent thumbs up. Thank you!!!
My pleasure. I figured some folks might not be on Twitter so this keeps them in the loop on the relevant Suns related stuff. Always easier to post those after a win!
Word, I love the tweet storms. Thanks for posting them.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just don't think this year's Lakers team is a contender. After LeBron and AD they don't have much talent. Melo is decent and occasionally Westbrook contributes, but there's no way they can win a title with this motley crew of losers. Especially if AD is going to be injured much of the year.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it'd be absolutely glorious if the Lakers didn't even make the playoffs. I suspect they'll make the play-in game at least, but wouldn't it be great if they got eliminated there by some chump team like the Blazers or Spurs? I'd die.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

:) :twisted:

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
That's weird.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:28 am

That was truly annoying.
Yeah, that pissed my off. Lakers, Lakers, Lakers after Suns ahead at the break. Lakers, Lakers, Lakers after Suns win the game.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

LA is the media capital of the world imo. It’s where most of the tv shows and movies are made. That’s where everyone goes to get famous and hang out with other famous people. The world revolves around LA.

Last night was a great game. My two favorite teams played. My favorite team is obviously the Suns and my second favorite team is whoever’s playing the Lakers. 😎

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:45 am
pickle wrote:
That's weird.
Hmm. I googled this and found a setting I could change that is known to help some users stop getting logged off. I just made the change today. Let me know, pickle, if you see any improvement now. You may need to log out/in to see the benefit. Also don't forget to check "Remember Me" or "Keep me logged in" or whatever as you are logging in.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Two examples of Reggie Miller's bias that stood out to me were his over reaction to a couple of very pedestrian passes by Westbrook and the sequence that lead to Carmelo Anthony's second technical foul.

Neither Paul or Crowder really touched Carmelo at all, but Miller was supportive of the first foul called on Paul and then claimed Crowder hit Carmelo in the "mid-section", which we all know is a euphemism for the groin. In reality, there was no evidence of Paul making contact with Carmelo on the replay, and if Crowder touched Carmelo at all, it was somewhere around his ribs.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hated that camera cut to Reggie's kid with his court-side seats. It's like, okay, we get it, you're rich and connected and your kid gets to go to NBA games. That, combined with Reggie's Laker knob-slobbing commentary, were a really disgusting combo to me.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:22 pm
Two examples of Reggie Miller's bias that stood out to me were his over reaction to a couple of very pedestrian passes by Westbrook and the sequence that lead to Carmelo Anthony's second technical foul.

Neither Paul or Crowder really touched Carmelo at all, but Miller was supportive of the first foul called on Paul and then claimed Crowder hit Carmelo in the "mid-section", which we all know is a euphemism for the groin. In reality, there was no evidence of Paul making contact with Carmelo on the replay, and if Crowder touched Carmelo at all, it was somewhere around his ribs.
I remember the mid section reference. Maybe I just took that to mean undetermined middle part of the body because the camera angle showed nothing in particular to my eyes. I think Miller just tries to be nice. He’s quite complimentary to everyone throughout the game, and he wasn’t going to criticize the refs on that call. IIRC he did say something like “maybe Crowder got Melo in the mid section” rather than make a definitive comment like that “hip check” from JaVale on the offensive end, and that’s what stuck with me more than the term mid section. I could be wrong tho, a bit hazy on the details.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:18 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:45 am
pickle wrote:
That's weird.
Hmm. I googled this and found a setting I could change that is known to help some users stop getting logged off. I just made the change today. Let me know, pickle, if you see any improvement now. You may need to log out/in to see the benefit. Also don't forget to check "Remember Me" or "Keep me logged in" or whatever as you are logging in.
Thanks Mori, will try it out and report back!