Warriors (26-6) @ Suns (26-5), Xmas Day 2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Warriors (26-6) @ Suns (26-5), Xmas Day 2021

Post by Split T »

Ya there was a point near halftime when I saw Ayton only had 1 rebound. Not just his fault, but we gotta be better on the boards.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:26 am
Ya there was a point near halftime when I saw Ayton only had 1 rebound. Not just his fault, but we gotta be better on the boards.
Block out!!!
"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:11 am
Split T wrote:
Block out!!!
From watching the body language of the players I think the Suns are told not to crash the boards on long 3s. The ball usually comes of a lot longer so being near the hoop on 3s might be a detriment. Ayton seems to be going the other way on missed 3s. Maybe I'm wrong on this.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:23 am
Superbone wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:11 am
Split T wrote:
Block out!!!
From watching the body language of the players I think the Suns are told not to crash the boards on long 3s. The ball usually comes of a lot longer so being near the hoop on 3s might be a detriment. Ayton seems to be going the other way on missed 3s. Maybe I'm wrong on this.
All I know is that the Warriors had quite a few follow up dunks because we didn't block out.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Tough loss. It's humbling to lose to a Warriors team missing so many of their guys. Makes me feel like we just aren't where we need to be as a team. We're 100% going to have to go through these guys if we want a title, and even at basically full strength (minus our injured bigs) we couldn't stop them. The Warriors hustled and really bothered us on defense. We didn't feel comfortable and weren't getting good open looks.

Mostly everybody put up decent numbers. But Booker had a rough shooting night, 5-19 and only 1-5 on 3s despite playing 40 minutes. I got a little scared when he bonked his knee, but I guess it's okay, phew. We also just can't count on Shamet in big games; he gave us 4 points, the least of anybody who played in the game.

Disappointing that the Warriors seem to have this infinite depth, a platoon of young wings and guys who come in with great energy and hustle. Feels like we need 1-2 more guys like that at the end of our bench. Dunno if Coach had enough weapons in this game, which is messed up since we were the team that was supposedly close to full strength.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I also want to extend a hale and hearty "F U" to the fans who show up at the Suns arena only to cheer for the Warriors. Booooooooo.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Warriors were just better on this Christmas.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:12 am
Tough loss. It's humbling to lose to a Warriors team missing so many of their guys. Makes me feel like we just aren't where we need to be as a team. We're 100% going to have to go through these guys if we want a title, and even at basically full strength (minus our injured bigs) we couldn't stop them. The Warriors hustled and really bothered us on defense. We didn't feel comfortable and weren't getting good open looks.

Mostly everybody put up decent numbers. But Booker had a rough shooting night, 5-19 and only 1-5 on 3s despite playing 40 minutes. I got a little scared when he bonked his knee, but I guess it's okay, phew. We also just can't count on Shamet in big games; he gave us 4 points, the least of anybody who played in the game.

Disappointing that the Warriors seem to have this infinite depth, a platoon of young wings and guys who come in with great energy and hustle. Feels like we need 1-2 more guys like that at the end of our bench. Dunno if Coach had enough weapons in this game, which is messed up since we were the team that was supposedly close to full strength.
Good post. The larger question for me is whether that kind of team can beat us 4 times. I think our swings are more skilled, theirs more bouncy athletic and play with more energy. If/when they get Poole, Wiggins, Iguodala and Klay back, it's almost a different team altogether. I would like to see what a Frank or Dario could do in the Bjelica minutes. Maybe Nader gives us some energy to match Toscano-Anderson and Porter. GP2 seems to have that asshole/annoying PatBev type of game. Hopefully he's not a thorn in our side going forward.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I think we'll be ready next time. They just wanted it more this time.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

From the half that I saw, we couldn’t deal with playoffs level ball pressure and the physicality. There were a couple of errant passes where I felt like our player was hurrying to get trill rid of the ball to complain to the refs about a no call. Gotta cut that stuff out. I also didn’t see our offense go inside to Ayton at all in the second half.

I might be imagining things but it felt like their replacement players were allowed to play more physically on D, maybe because GPII has that reputation, whereas our secondary guys get called for a lot of stuff. Maybe we need a better lobbying department.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

pickle wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:36 pm
I also didn’t see our offense go inside to Ayton at all in the second half.
This is always a detriment, but especially against a team like Golden State, where that's our main weapon/advantage. They don't have the size to cover Ayton.

There is no legitimate reason that Booker should be 5-19 FG shooting and Ayton 8-10.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:33 pm
pickle wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:36 pm
I also didn’t see our offense go inside to Ayton at all in the second half.
This is always a detriment, but especially against a team like Golden State, where that's our main weapon/advantage. They don't have the size to cover Ayton.

There is no legitimate reason that Booker should be 5-19 FG shooting and Ayton 8-10.
Some of that is on Ayton. He still receives passes wide open 20-feet from the rim and doesn't even fake an attempt to score.

The Warriors are too smart for that. They know he's only looking to pass in those situations and it enables them to disrupt the Suns offense.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Otto Porter hit some tough shots. At the same time we do have a big man in Ayton to give the ball to in the post. I think he should have had more touches in the post.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

Split T

Post by Split T »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:26 am
Otto Porter hit some tough shots. At the same time we do have a big man in Ayton to give the ball to in the post. I think he should have had more touches in the post.
It would help if he could get himself into the post

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:47 am
Uncle_Gene wrote:
A lot of it has to do with knowing what we're running. They don't make any concentrated effort for long stretches, like late in the Golden State game, of getting him involved and asking him to get position in the post.

It takes two to tango.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think we ever run post ups as a primary part of our offense. We go to it when teams switch and Ayton establishes good position. It’s not always easy to feed the post. Teams can cheat down and take away passing opportunities. If Ayton was more capable of taking the ball from the high post and making his way down into the post, we could utilize it more. But he’s really not shown that ability.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Uncle_Gene wrote:
I lose count every game of how many times he gets himself into great position in the paint, many times visibly wanting the ball, and his teammates refuse to go to him, usually jacking up a contested jumper or passing it out for a missed three instead. It probably happens over 5 times per game.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:01 pm
Split T wrote:
Uncle_Gene wrote:
I lose count every game of how many times he gets himself into great position in the paint, many times visibly wanting the ball, and his teammates refuse to go to him, usually jacking up a contested jumper or passing it out for a missed three instead. It probably happens over 5 times per game.
Sometimes the pass isn’t a clean look. It’s a high turnover risk trying to throw it to him.