Around the League: Week 11 (12/27 - 1/2)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Around the League: Week 11 (12/27 - 1/2)

Post by ShelC »

If Rondo plays nice with everyone, he's exactly the kind of vet PG you'd want to have on the floor with bigs like Mobley and Allen.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Looks like a salary dump for the Lakers … moved Rondo for Valentine who they waived?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Valentine was just partially guaranteed I believe. Frees up a roster spot.

Split T

Post by Split T »

LeBron is kinda quietly having an incredible year…the mess that is the Lakers roster is overshadowing it

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Awe... Such a shame.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hope he ends his career like Kobe, jacking up shots for meaningless stats for teams that don't matter.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Why do you guys hate LeBron? Or is it just a Laker thing?

I just appreciate his greatness, I used to cheer against him, but now I’m just appreciative of what he was and still is. He’s 37 and dropping 28/7/7 and is posting career highs or near career high steals and blocks and he’s having his 3rd highest TS% ever. He’s scoring more per game than he has since his first stint in Cleveland.

Don’t get me wrong, I love seeing the Lakers be bad and I’m hopeful for that to continue, but LeBron is having an unprecedented season at this stage of his career.

Here’s another crazy stat I heard:

Players with 7K assists/7K rebounds:

LeBron, Kidd, Oscar, Russ.

Kidd is the only 8K/8K guy. LeBron will hit 10K/10K this year and probably ends up as a 12K/12K guy…oh and add 40K points as well.

There’s obviously an argument for saying Jordan at his best was better than LeBron at his best, but I think it’s getting to the point where LeBron has clearly had the best individual career of any nba player ever.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:36 pm

I just appreciate his greatness, I used to cheer against him, but now I’m just appreciative of what he was and still is. He’s 37 and dropping 28/7/7 and is posting career highs or near career high steals and blocks and he’s having his 3rd highest TS% ever. He’s scoring more per game than he has since his first stint in Cleveland.

Don’t get me wrong, I love seeing the Lakers be bad and I’m hopeful for that to continue, but LeBron is having an unprecedented season at this stage of his career.

Kidd is the only 8K/8K guy. LeBron will hit 10K/10K this year and probably ends up as a 12K/12K guy…oh and add 40K points as well.

There’s obviously an argument for saying Jordan at his best was better than LeBron at his best, but I think it’s getting to the point where LeBron has clearly had the best individual career of any nba player ever.
Lebron is a complete phony. His entire persona is calculated and disingenuous. He preaches social justice on one end in the US then bites his tongue when asked about international injustices because they could effect his $$$ and take a hit to his brand.

He acts tough and then makes excuse after excuse when he turns an ankle ever so gently.

He pretends like he has no say on roster decisions when everybody and their mama knows he controls the coach, the GM and the entire organization.

His recent anti-science remarks about Covid don’t help. Then in classic Lebron fashion he backtracked when confronted about it, because he’s actually not as smart as he tries to front for a HS graduate.

I hated Kobe too, but I respected him. I don’t respect Lebron, regardless of how great he is at basketball.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:39 pm
Split T wrote:

Lebron is a complete phony. His entire persona is calculated and disingenuous. He preaches social justice on one end in the US then bites his tongue when asked about international injustices because they could effect his $$$ and take a hit to his brand.

He acts tough and then makes excuse after excuse when he turns an ankle ever so gently.

He pretends like he has no say on roster decisions when everybody and their mama knows he controls the coach, the GM and the entire organization.

His recent anti-science remarks about Covid don’t help. Then in classic Lebron fashion he backtracked when confronted about it, because he’s actually not as smart as he tries to front for a HS graduate.

I hated Kobe too, but I respected him. I don’t respect Lebron, regardless of how great he is at basketball.
Meh, he’s not perfect but I for sure respect LeBron the person over Kobe the person. It does seem like Kobe later became a good dad and husband, but he likely raped that girl in Colorado.

Is it better to always be silent than to pick and choose when you’re silent? I know it comes across hypocritical when Lebron won’t speak up on China, but Jordan wouldn’t speak up on anything. I give props to LeBron for speaking out about local injustices. I also think the criticism on his China comments is over the top. He didn’t say anything, just like 99% of people in the public spotlight don’t.

But my comments had nothing to do with him off the court. It was all about him on the court.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Hard to forgive LeBron for Klutch.

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:31 pm
Hard to forgive LeBron for Klutch.
In what way?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:

A guy who has won 4 titles has had the best individual NBA career ever? I do not agree. The overall career and longevity stats are quite impressive, but to me the 4-for-10 in the Finals is an immediate deal-breaker. If you got to the Finals and choked 6 different times, you can't be the GOAT.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:47 pm
Split T wrote:

A guy who has won 4 titles has had the best individual NBA career ever? I do not agree. The overall career and longevity stats are quite impressive, but to me the 4-for-10 in the Finals is an immediate deal-breaker. If you got to the Finals and choked 6 different times, you can't be the GOAT.
Huh? This is one of the worst arguments…LeBron gets penalized for making the finals but losing? How about all those times Jordan couldn’t win a playoff round until Pippen showed up?

Should we just call Russell the GOAT? 11 titles is way better than 6…How about Kareem? He matches Jordan’s 6 titles adds an extra MVP and has better longevity and counting stats.

I said best individual career for a reason. Team success complicates things as not all situations are created equal.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:46 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:39 pm
Split T wrote:

Meh, he’s not perfect but I for sure respect LeBron the person over Kobe the person. It does seem like Kobe later became a good dad and husband, but he likely raped that girl in Colorado.

Is it better to always be silent than to pick and choose when you’re silent? I know it comes across hypocritical when Lebron won’t speak up on China, but Jordan wouldn’t speak up on anything. I give props to LeBron for speaking out about local injustices. I also think the criticism on his China comments is over the top. He didn’t say anything, just like 99% of people in the public spotlight don’t.

But my comments had nothing to do with him off the court. It was all about him on the court.
I think it’s lame that he only speaks up on injustices of his “own” people. If he truly gave a shit about social equality, he would speak up universally. He’s just another person that only gives a shit about his own and is happy to exploit everyone else.

I agree with what he says about the social injustices here. It’s not his message. It’s his hypocrisy and selective activism. Again why I think it’s more about his brand than what he actually gives a shit about . A phony.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The thing is, Lebron has been to 10 Finals primarily for two reasons:

1. He's abandoned his team literally 3 different times to jump to a better team. (2010 CLE -> MIA; 2014 MIA -> CLE; 2018 CLE -> LAL) This artificially raises the number of times he could get to the Finals.

2. He lives in an era where much more is known about sports medicine and fitness. In MJ's day he literally didn't start lifting weights until after his first three-peat, that's how ignorant the conventional wisdom was back then.

If you can just jump to any team you want every few years, of course you'll have more overall trips to the Finals. And if you have a bunch of medical science helping you stay healthy, of course you'll mass impressive longevity stats like total points, rebounds, assists, and so on.

Despite stacking the deck in his favor with all the team-hopping and amateur-GMing and superteam-forming, dude could only manage to win 4 out of 10 title chances. I frankly think that's pretty bad. He let Dirk Nowitzki teabag him with a really mediocre Mavs 2011 team. He lost to Curry and the Warriors multiple times. He lost to Duncan and the Spurs multiple times. Who exactly did this guy dominate? I grant that the 2010-2013 Heat were really a scary superteam, but even they only went 2/4 on titles despite being completely stacked to an almost unfair degree.

If MJ could have jumped to the late-80s Pistons? Then won on the early '90s Bulls or Suns? Then jumped to the late-90s Lakers? He'd have 8-9 titles easily. Maybe more. As it was, he won every single title once he hit his prime and had a good contending team around him. Not one single opponent beat him in the Finals, and he got 100% of the Finals MVPs for those series. 6 for 6. GOAT.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’m with you, Split.

Best career ever. 2nd best player ever and he looks like he’s got 5 more productive years in him. I don’t care about all the other stuff.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Derozan just hit his 2nd straight game-winning, buzzer beating 3 while down. Both ridiculous shots.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That's the Holiday Spirit!
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:48 pm
The thing is, Lebron has been to 10 Finals primarily for two reasons:

1. He's abandoned his team literally 3 different times to jump to a better team. (2010 CLE -> MIA; 2014 MIA -> CLE; 2018 CLE -> LAL) This artificially raises the number of times he could get to the Finals.

2. He lives in an era where much more is known about sports medicine and fitness. In MJ's day he literally didn't start lifting weights until after his first three-peat, that's how ignorant the conventional wisdom was back then.

If you can just jump to any team you want every few years, of course you'll have more overall trips to the Finals. And if you have a bunch of medical science helping you stay healthy, of course you'll mass impressive longevity stats like total points, rebounds, assists, and so on.

Despite stacking the deck in his favor with all the team-hopping and amateur-GMing and superteam-forming, dude could only manage to win 4 out of 10 title chances. I frankly think that's pretty bad. He let Dirk Nowitzki teabag him with a really mediocre Mavs 2011 team. He lost to Curry and the Warriors multiple times. He lost to Duncan and the Spurs multiple times. Who exactly did this guy dominate? I grant that the 2010-2013 Heat were really a scary superteam, but even they only went 2/4 on titles despite being completely stacked to an almost unfair degree.

If MJ could have jumped to the late-80s Pistons? Then won on the early '90s Bulls or Suns? Then jumped to the late-90s Lakers? He'd have 8-9 titles easily. Maybe more. As it was, he won every single title once he hit his prime and had a good contending team around him. Not one single opponent beat him in the Finals, and he got 100% of the Finals MVPs for those series. 6 for 6. GOAT.
I don't think he needed to jump teams. If he just didn't stop to play baseball and if he played the 99 season he could have 9.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Jordan=LeBron. This isn't the Olympics, we don't need to pick a winner.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.