Game Day: Suns (26-7) vs Thunder (12-21), 12/29/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
LazarusLong

Re: Game Day: Suns (26-7) vs Thunder (12-21), 12/29/21

Post by LazarusLong »

Stix showed that he can be a decent NBA player. But face it, OKC was weak in the post ...

I was happy when the Suns signed Shamet, but he's been a major disappointment -- 35% from the field and 28% from the arc in the last 10 games.

Nice game by Jerome for OKC. Displayed much more brio than he did in his Suns stint.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I feel like Torrey Craig gave us more than Shamet.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

There was a stat I heard recently, Lu Dort had the second longest streak of hitting at least 1 3 pointer(Curry is 1st of course). I’m not sure if he had hit 1 in every game since then, but if so, we ended his streak tonight.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

You heard right, and the streak did end tonight. I don't know what his exact number was going into this game, but it was in the low 40's around the time Steph broke the all-time record.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:20 pm
It’s the Ty Jerome game.
That it was. Career high.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Solid win, tho they were able to keep it closer than I would've liked for most of the game. Book carried us offensively which we may need to see more if other guys aren't stepping up with their own offense. We still look a little flat and the defense hasn't been great on the perimeter lately.

Really nice game for Stix as this was a better matchup for him against a younger big like Roby. Thunder didn't have a lot of size which helped us out. CamJ had a solid 2nd half after being in foul trouble. I like what he's done as a starter, especially his effort going for rebounds. He had a few nice drives to the basket too, which we need more of in general. Paul had 10-5-5 but it feels like he's off a bit or maybe just laying back pacing himself. Payne with 16 and 7 and some nice pop in his game. He's a guy, moreso than last year, who I think needs to focus more on scoring off the bench than playmaking. He should be trying to average 20 every night.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Last edited by ShelC on Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

pickle

Post by pickle »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:33 am
Solid win, tho they were able to keep it closer than I would've liked for most of the game. Book carried us offensively which we may need to see more if other guys aren't stepping up with their own offense. We still look a little flat and the defense hasn't been great on the perimeter lately.

Really nice game for Stix as this was a better matchup for him against a younger big like Roby. Thunder didn't have a lot of size which helped us out. CamJ had a solid 2nd half after being in foul trouble. I like what he's done as a starter, especially his effort going for rebounds. He had a few nice drives to the basket too, which we need more of in general. Paul had 10-5-5 but it feels like he's off a bit or maybe just laying back pacing himself. Payne with 16 and 7 and some nice pop in his game. He's a guy, moreso than last year, who I think needs to focus more on scoring off the bench than playmaking. He should be trying to average 20 every night.
I feel like several players have been in a bit of a funk lately in addition to CP3. Mikal hasn’t been aggressive with his scoring, Crowder hasn’t seemed in rhythm much, no 0-9 games but also no 6 three pointer games, and obviously Shamet has seemed more nervous than confident. Maybe this COVID episode can help the team hit the reset button of sorts.

I’m most worried about Paul. His shooting has been off, both from 3 and from the line. I hope he can find his touch again.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Nice effort by Payne with seven assists and just one TO.
Also shot well, including 2-4 from deep.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

pickle wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:00 am
I feel like several players have been in a bit of a funk lately in addition to CP3. Mikal hasn’t been aggressive with his scoring, Crowder hasn’t seemed in rhythm much, no 0-9 games but also no 6 three pointer games, and obviously Shamet has seemed more nervous than confident. Maybe this COVID episode can help the team hit the reset button of sorts.

I’m most worried about Paul. His shooting has been off, both from 3 and from the line. I hope he can find his touch again.
I've been feeling the same way. Most worried about CP3 and Bridges. Mikal has had several games lately where he's scored 5-6 points. I wish he would look to score just a bit more. And CP3 is okay but his stats seem a bit subdued in recent games. I'm okay with that if he's pacing himself for the playoffs, or maybe recovering from a minor unannounced injury or something like that. But it is noticeable.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:46 am
You heard right, and the streak did end tonight. I don't know what his exact number was going into this game, but it was in the low 40's around the time Steph broke the all-time record.
I went back and checked and Dort made it to 46 before losing his streak last night.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:57 pm
Should have been the game before, but...travels aren't called in the NBA on last second shots against the Suns.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm still having trouble understanding the reasoning why the Suns decided to turn down the 3rd yr of Stix's rookie contract. Anyone know the reason that I may have missed?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:35 am
I'm still having trouble understanding the reasoning why the Suns decided to turn down the 3rd yr of Stix's rookie contract. Anyone know the reason that I may have missed?
The speculation is that we tried to trade him and no one was interested. He had more trade value as an expiring contract than a prospect.

Other options would be that Sarver knows we’re paying the tax next year and he wants to limit how much. Paying a guy we don’t expect to be a contributor over $5 million might be a hard pill to swallow.

Or maybe a bit of both. Maybe Jones has been given a number of how much he can spend and he doesn’t want to spend it on Jalen. He’d rather either trade him for someone else or let him walk and use the money on a free agent.

Jalen is showing he has some skills, my guess is we do find a way to move him by the deadline. I’m still looking at Thaddeus Young. I don’t want to go 1st, but Jalen/Saric/2 2nds for Thad is a deal I’d make.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:48 am
In2ition wrote:
The speculation is that we tried to trade him and no one was interested. He had more trade value as an expiring contract than a prospect.

Other options would be that Sarver knows we’re paying the tax next year and he wants to limit how much. Paying a guy we don’t expect to be a contributor over $5 million might be a hard pill to swallow.

Or maybe a bit of both. Maybe Jones has been given a number of how much he can spend and he doesn’t want to spend it on Jalen. He’d rather either trade him for someone else or let him walk and use the money on a free agent.

Jalen is showing he has some skills, my guess is we do find a way to move him by the deadline. I’m still looking at Thaddeus Young. I don’t want to go 1st, but Jalen/Saric/2 2nds for Thad is a deal I’d make.
I still want to know whose minutes a guy like Young is going to take? Johnson? Crowder? McGee? Just insurance off the bench?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

For a team that desperately needs help on the boards from a position other than Center, it make sense to get a guy like Thad Young. I actually would hate to lose a guy like Saric, who I know can play both Center and PF next to a true Center. Thad though does provide a boost with his passing and defense. Stix is a better rebounder, shot blocker, and 12 yrs younger, but doesn't provide everything else that Thad does.

Split T

Post by Split T »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:53 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:48 am
In2ition wrote:

I still want to know whose minutes a guy like Young is going to take? Johnson? Crowder? McGee? Just insurance off the bench?
We’ve only played 13 of our 34 games this year with all 9 of our top rotation guys(Paul, Book, Ayton, Bridges, Crowder, Cam, Cam, Shamet, McGee). Even in those games where we had all 9, we usually found time for another rotation spot(Nader, Payton, and Frank all had moments). It was only about 10 minutes, but I think that’s fine. Ultimately his role is to be a small ball 5. An alternate to McGee come playoff time when we need to play something other than a drop D.

Although I’m actually not as high on Thad as I was in the off-season. I mostly envisioned McGee as a spot player, with Thad being the primary backup to Ayton. McGee has that backup 5 spot locked down, so it would be a little tricky to find time for Thad. His playmaking in the 2nd unit would be nice to have, but spacing would become an issue as neither he nor McGee are shooters. A big wing is probably a better fit, someone who can play small ball 5, but also play next to McGee/Ayton. I’m not sure Thad could.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:19 am
For a team that desperately needs help on the boards from a position other than Center, it make sense to get a guy like Thad Young. I actually would hate to lose a guy like Saric, who I know can play both Center and PF next to a true Center. Thad though does provide a boost with his passing and defense. Stix is a better rebounder, shot blocker, and 12 yrs younger, but doesn't provide everything else that Thad does.
I just don’t really see Saric playing this year. Even if he does come back, I think it’ll take some time to get him into game shape. If I knew Saric was coming back and would be healthy by playoff time, I wouldn’t bother trading for Thad

pickle

Post by pickle »

The assumption being that Saric would not lose any of his already limited athleticism if we expect him to play the 4 next to Ayton or McGee tho.

I salivate at Barnes (potentially gettable?), Slomo (can’t see Memphis breaking up a good thing), and like the idea of Olynyk (no mention of him in rumors but Detroit has to be willing to move him right?). I’d love to get Grant but he’s out of our price range and throws a monkey wrench into our rotations. Cooled off significantly on Wood. Still have some interest in Theis but dunno how he holds up guarding 4s.