2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:51 pm
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:47 pm
that 'internal development' is code for 'Stix trade fell through' ... and low and behold he gets some minutes today.
also because Javale was out.
AND Ayton. He’s the only back up center left.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

yeah I meant what was different from last game.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I would love Barnes, but I don’t think he’s gettable for those 3…espn trade machine says that’s not enough salary

Split T

Post by Split T »

A name I haven’t heard mentioned in trade discussion but could maybe be interesting: Norman Powell.

If Portland decides to blow it up would they make him available? He’s signed for 5 years, but his contract is reasonable. 15m this year, then 16, 18, 19, 20. It is a lot of total money committed to a guy that would come off the bench, but the yearly salaries are reasonable and he’s only 28. Should be good still through most that deal, if not all, and would remain a tradable contract. He can shoot 3s and can defend a bit. He’d be an upgrade on the Shamet spot.

But probably a reason he’s not being mentioned, Portland probably likes him and he’s in that sweet spot where he’s in his prime but young enough to hang around if they choose to retool.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Always a good read.

One nugget I learned from here. Ish Wainright on his 2-way contract can’t play in the postseason. We really need another wing. Don’t think we can count on Nader to be healthy.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:49 pm
But probably a reason he’s not being mentioned, Portland probably likes him and he’s in that sweet spot where he’s in his prime but young enough to hang around if they choose to retool.
I like Powell a lot but I think adding him would come at the expense of Crowder either in the deal or the off season. It would be the right move for the roster, but I get a sense that James Jones isn't willing to shake up the team chemistry like that right now.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Harrison Barnes would be perfect for the Suns right now. He's an excellent veteran who can be trusted in a playoff game and his contract isn't ridiculous. Unfortunately, I think the Suns would probably have to give up a more valuable piece than Jalen Smith to get it done.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That's a steal for any contender, but Gordon's salary is unfortunately a likely obstacle for Robert Sarver. I also think Brendon Kleen is wrong in his evaluation and projection of Gordon.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:15 pm
That's a steal for any contender, but Gordon's salary is unfortunately a likely obstacle for Robert Sarver. I also think Brendon Kleen is wrong in his evaluation and projection of Gordon.

He is probably wrong, even assuming everyone is healthy. But it is stupid to assume everyone will be healthy for an entire playoff run if you are going to the Finals.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:59 pm
Harrison Barnes would be perfect for the Suns right now. He's an excellent veteran who can be trusted in a playoff game and his contract isn't ridiculous. Unfortunately, I think the Suns would probably have to give up a more valuable piece than Jalen Smith to get it done.
Barnes would be awesome, just not sure how we get it done without giving up one of our bigger contracts. Crowder and Cam would be a no go for me, but I’d move Shamet or Payne. Of course you’d have to find a replacement for Payne if you move him so unless that is lined up, I’d be out.

Saric/Smith/Shamet would do it. Or a 4 player trade, but then Sacramento has to waive 3 guys.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:10 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

He is probably wrong, even assuming everyone is healthy. But it is stupid to assume everyone will be healthy for an entire playoff run if you are going to the Finals.
Right. Even with a completely healthy roster, Gordon would be the 3rd best guard on the Suns.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:17 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:10 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Right. Even with a completely healthy roster, Gordon would be the 3rd best guard on the Suns.
And 3rd best scorer.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Ya I think he’s way off on Gordon. Think he’s looking at him more as a Payne replacement instead of a Shamet replacement. In reality he’s probably partially both, but I don’t think we’d ever need him to be the primary ball handler. Especially not in the playoffs unless an injury happens to Paul or Book and we’ve got bigger issues then.

Paul will play 36 minutes a game in the playoffs and Book will push 40. That leaves only 20ish minutes of guard rotation minutes we need to fill. Every single one of them would be alongside Book or Paul.

In my dream scenario:

Paul/Payne
Booker/Gordon
Bridges/Johnson
Crowder/Batum
Ayton/McGee

Guard:
Booker - 40
Paul - 35
Gordon - 16
Johnson - 5
Payne - Spot minutes if we need a ball handler

Wing:
Bridges - 32
Crowder - 28
Johnson - 25
Batum - 11

Center:
Ayton - 36
Batum/McGee - 12(Matchup would dictate who I play)

If matchup says play Batum at the 5, I’d probably cut out most of his minutes at the 4, slide all of Johnsons minutes to the wing and that opens up more minutes for Gordon or Payne.

Where we stand now, Payne is getting those 16 Gordon minutes, Shamet is getting the few extra guard minutes, our 3 wings will split all of the wing minutes, and McGee will get all the backup 5 minutes.

So a different look at backup 5(also someone who could play the wing if need be) and a better bench guard is what I’m most interested in.

Indy

Post by Indy »

if we did that trade, I would expect them to play some time with all 3 on the court together like we have done with CP3/15 and Book.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:38 pm
if we did that trade, I would expect them to play some time with all 3 on the court together like we have done with CP3/15 and Book.
Ya that’s quite likely too. I’d guess if we trade for Gordon that we probably don’t trade for Batum, so the Batum wing minutes would also be up for grabs and go to a guy like Gordon.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Does anybody have any good info about a list of guys who will be / might be available after the deadline? Guys who are likely to be cut or waived and could be buyout targets?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I did a little digging on buy-out candidate UFA's who're playing on non-playoff teams.

Detroit: Josh Jackson, Rodney McGruder
Indiana: Jeremey Lamb
New Orleans: Tomas Satoransky
Oklahoma City: Derick Favors (2022-23 PO for $9.7M, seems unlikely he'd ask for a buyout)
Orlando: Garry Harris, Robin Lopez
Portland: Robert Covington, Ben McLemore, Tony Snell
Sacramento: Tristan Thompson
San Antonio: Thaddeus Young

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jeremy Lamb, Gary Harris, Robert Covington, and Thad Young would all be interesting to me.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:23 pm
Jeremy Lamb, Gary Harris, Robert Covington, and Thad Young would all be interesting to me.
I think you have to kick the tires on Covington, Harris, Young, and Satoransky. The last might just need a change of venue. Remember, a few seasons ago he was a 45% 3-point shooter.

Trade-wise, Barnes, Gordon, Wood, and Williams are all intriguing. All of them would be significant contributors off the bench. Better than Shamet, Bader, and Wainright.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Any reason not to do this? Only way I wouldn’t is if someone better was available.

Dario/Smith/2 2nd’s for Holiday and Craig.

Paul/Payne/Payton
Booker/Holiday/Shamet
Bridges/Johnson/Nader
Crowder/Craig/Kaminsky
Ayton/McGee/Biyombo

It would be nice to add a bigger difference maker(Gordon or Barnes)to the bench to give us an elite top 7, but this still keeps our great top 6 and gives me 9 guys I feel confident about in the playoffs in all situations and up to 11 in most. The other 4 guys are not bad emergency use players either(Payton, Shamet, Nader, Kaminsky).