2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by Split T »

Had some trade thoughts but I don’t want to hijack news threads…my current top trade:

Smith, Saric, Nader, and a 1st to Houston for Eric Gordon and Jae’Sean Tate

Does Houston do it? Not sure, I really don’t know how they feel about Tate. I’d still do it without Tate and removing the 1st. I really think Gordon could be a nice piece for us.

Smith for Kenrich Williams. If you read the David Nash newsletter, you’ll know this one.

Saric/Smith/1st for Larry Nance Jr(Or Covington, but I drop the 1st)

Who else you guys interested in?

Is wing or another guard a bigger need?

Drewsprocket

Re: 2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:06 pm
Had some trade thoughts but I don’t want to hijack news threads…my current top trade:

Smith, Saric, Nader, and a 1st to Houston for Eric Gordon and Jae’Sean Tate

Does Houston do it? Not sure, I really don’t know how they feel about Tate. I’d still do it without Tate and removing the 1st. I really think Gordon could be a nice piece for us.

Smith for Kenrich Williams. If you read the David Nash newsletter, you’ll know this one.

Saric/Smith/1st for Larry Nance Jr(Or Covington, but I drop the 1st)

Who else you guys interested in?

Is wing or another guard a bigger need?
Yeah I think Suns need an Eric Gordon type off the bench in the playoffs. Payne, McGee, Cam J are great but we’re still down a real player when things aren’t going well. I don’t think at this rate Shamet is gonna cut it for us - at least he hasn’t shown it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Shamet dilemma is, we need a better player than him in his spot, but nobody is going to want to take Shamet back in a trade. So we'll have to have him still on the roster, but now he'll be stuck in the rotation behind Gordon or whomever we would acquire for that spot. $10m/yr wasted. We gave him that 4-year deal, too (oof), though I think the last 2 years are not guaranteed, so it's more of a 2-year deal.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Shamet deal is super tradable after this year, so I’m not too worried about it.

And I think Shamet would be fine if Payne were playing like last year. The problem is they’re both having struggles and I’d like at least 1 more reliable bench ball handler. We know Payton isn’t the answer.

Also, Gordon is big enough to handle minutes at the 3, so it doesn’t mean you can’t play Shamet.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Gordon would be an excellent addition, but he has a substantial contract ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:21 am
Ya, gotta get Sarver to sign on. Gordon is a $20 million a year guy for another 2.5 years

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:08 am
LazarusLong wrote:
Ya, gotta get Sarver to sign on. Gordon is a $20 million a year guy for another 2.5 years
wouldn't that mean we have to be fully over the tax threshold to resign Cam Johnson (then his salary is basically twice what we give him)?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:12 am
Split T wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:
wouldn't that mean we have to be fully over the tax threshold to resign Cam Johnson (then his salary is basically twice what we give him)?
Probably, unless we let Ayton go or S&T him for someone a bit cheaper.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:16 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:
Pass on Gordon if it means giving up Ayton. He needs to be here long term. So glad we extended Shamet (who never played a minute for us before being extended) instead of tying up Ayton. Note the sarcasm.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:32 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:16 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:
Pass on Gordon if it means giving up Ayton. He needs to be here long term. So glad we extended Shamet (who never played a minute for us before being extended) instead of tying up Ayton. Note the sarcasm.
I am sure that if Sarver could have tied up Ayton for <20M over 2 years he would have. :P

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Speaking of Sarver, he has done a good job of disappearing.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:49 am
Speaking of Sarver, he has done a good job of disappearing.
This has been very important to the success over the last two years. People still want to blame him for every misstep (like not extending Smith), but I think he's less involved in the day-to-day decisions than he was.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

I know many on here will be upset for me suggesting it, but the fact that we’ve been able to plug and play so many centers into the lineup without really missing a beat is making me think about what we could get for Ayton again.

Ultimately I wouldn’t do it until the offseason(depending on how these playoffs go), but sometimes it’s interesting to think about. I mainly wouldn’t do it because I think the playoffs are a different beast and while our backup centers are doing very good Ayton impressions, the things they can’t do will stand out in the post season.

Like playing defense without fouling(McGee)
Touch around the basket on non-dunks(Biyombo)
Rim protection(Frank and Dario)
Defending bigger post players(Jalen)

Ayton is a little bit of all of them rolled into one and we’d miss him in the playoffs…so while he’s cheap I think you have to keep him, but here are just some interesting thoughts:

Ayton/Saric/Smith for KAT

Ayton/Saric/Smith for Wood/Gordon

Ayton/Saric/Crowder for Siakam

Ayton for Washington/Bridges

Then a crazy 3 team deal:

Ayton/Saric/Nader to Portland
McCollum/Smith to Philly
Simmons to Phoenix

Portland probably needs to give a pick or 2 here.

Mostly just for fun, but if the suns still have reservations about paying Ayton…moving him has to be on the table. Do any of these make sense?

I like Siakam the best, but his contract makes it the trickiest. But he’s the kind of guy you want if you’re moving Ayton. A legit PF, who can play small ball 5, defends, and is a proven 3rd scorer that can create for himself and others.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:14 pm
I know many on here will be upset for me suggesting it, but the fact that we’ve been able to plug and play so many centers into the lineup without really missing a beat is making me think about what we could get for Ayton again.

Ultimately I wouldn’t do it until the offseason(depending on how these playoffs go), but sometimes it’s interesting to think about. I mainly wouldn’t do it because I think the playoffs are a different beast and while our backup centers are doing very good Ayton impressions, the things they can’t do will stand out in the post season.

Ayton is a little bit of all of them rolled into one and we’d miss him in the playoffs…so while he’s cheap I think you have to keep him, but here are just some interesting thoughts:

McCollum/Smith to Philly
Simmons to Phoenix

Mostly just for fun, but if the suns still have reservations about paying Ayton…moving him has to be on the table. Do any of these make sense?

I like Siakam the best, but his contract makes it the trickiest. But he’s the kind of guy you want if you’re moving Ayton. A legit PF, who can play small ball 5, defends, and is a proven 3rd scorer that can create for himself and others.
Ugh.

You could combine 5 players strengths to replace LeBron too. Or Steph. Or Nader.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:

McCollum/Smith to Philly
Simmons to Phoenix

Yeah, no.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
I know many on here will be upset for me suggesting it
looks like you were right! :P

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:58 pm
Split T wrote:

McCollum/Smith to Philly
Simmons to Phoenix

Ugh.

You could combine 5 players strengths to replace LeBron too. Or Steph. Or Nader.
I mean that was kinda my point on why I wouldn’t do it

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:19 pm
Split T wrote:
I know many on here will be upset for me suggesting it
looks like you were right! :P
lol

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't want to trade Ayton. A surface level analysis would say that we can kind of replace Ayton with other guys like JaVale (D, rebounding, shotblocking) or Biyombo (pick-and-roll, finishing at the rim). But when I think back to last year's playoffs, Ayton was a real force for us. He could switch onto smaller guards and stay with them; he was an exceptionally efficient scorer; he was invaluable to our reaching the Finals. Plus, he had the Valley-oop. I just don't think those other guys could come close to that kind of performance. Even in our loss to the Warriors recently, the one huge advantage we had was when we'd feed the ball inside to Ayton. They couldn't stop him. They wouldn't be afraid of Bismack Biyombo or JaVale McGee in the same way at all.

The guy I find most intriguing if you insist on moving Ayton is KAT, but I actually think Ayton is better for this roster. KAT isn't nearly the defender Ayton is, and KAT has already developed some questionable tendencies and effort levels. And I worry that KAT would need the ball too much or would gum up our beautiful offense in ways that the easygoing Ayton does not. Ayton is much more of the type of player I'd want at center.