2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by Superbone »

In Jones I trust not to mess up our chemistry.
"Be Legendary."

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I'm not as big of a Holiday fan as some. I think his attitude on vaccines could disrupt locker room chemistry potentially and he also could be out longer than some if he gets it again. I also think being in a losing culture so long in Indiana can make a player become "comfortable" and not have that drive to care all that much about winning.

"When asked if he plans to get vaccinated in the future, the nine-year NBA veteran — whose younger brother, Bucks guard Jrue Holiday, is vaccinated and was a part of an NBA COVID-19 PSA — said he doesn't.

"Right now I don't," Holiday said. "I mean, yeah, right now I don't. I don't see how me getting (COVID-19) changes that."

Not taking a political stance on vaccines here. Just my opinion that Holiday could disrupt chemistry potentially.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hmm, didn’t know he was unvaccinated…he’s not at the top of my list anyways. Did see this though:

Split T

Post by Split T »

Saw Alec Burks mentioned as a target…Saric and a 2nd works…he’s basically got the same contract as Saric(slightly more and has a team option for 2023-2024)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:43 am
Saw Alec Burks mentioned as a target…Saric and a 2nd works…he’s basically got the same contract as Saric(slightly more and has a team option for 2023-2024)
Burks has been struuuuuuuggling
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Bummed about the antivax stuff, but otherwise Holiday would be a great acquisition, especially at that price.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:39 pm
Bummed about the antivax stuff, but otherwise Holiday would be a great acquisition, especially at that price.
Explains that price.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

pickle

Post by pickle »

Holiday is an extremely streaky shooter and not a massive difference maker. If he’s traded for a first I would be shocked. I like him but I think he’s too slight and I’d prefer to add a bulky wing who can bring a different look off the bench than Bridges.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think we’ll make a big move, but I do think we make a small one…probably someone from this level of player.

1. Ben Mclemore
2. Grant Williams
3. KCP
4. Jordan Nwora
5. Mike Muscala
6. Torrey Craig
7. Terrence Ross

pickle

Post by pickle »

I would consider Grant Williams KCP and Nwora to all be major moves…

Split T

Post by Split T »

Talking about the suns here, Nekias knows

Earlier tweets for context

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My only fear about the Suns in terms of a deep playoff run is guard depth. Payne has been inconsistent and now is hurt. Shamet has been mostly a dud despite some encouraging signs lately. Payton is not a guy you can trust in a big playoff game. I feel like we just need one more solid veteran guard off the bench who can shoot. Basically we need a guy to be what Shamet was supposed to be for us. Eric Gordon would fill such a role very nicely, but I don't know what the price would be.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:40 am
My only fear about the Suns in terms of a deep playoff run is guard depth. Payne has been inconsistent and now is hurt. Shamet has been mostly a dud despite some encouraging signs lately. Payton is not a guy you can trust in a big playoff game. I feel like we just need one more solid veteran guard off the bench who can shoot. Basically we need a guy to be what Shamet was supposed to be for us. Eric Gordon would fill such a role very nicely, but I don't know what the price would be.
This is where I’m at…I also think it would be nice to have a more reliable player in the Ish Wainright role(he’s not even elegible for the playoffs). Just need someone we can throw out there as a small ball 5 if we have to.

As for Gordon, I’m not sure what it would take either. Definitely at least a 1st and 3 players to match salary.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:44 am
Mori Chu wrote:
This is where I’m at…I also think it would be nice to have a more reliable player in the Ish Wainright role(he’s not even elegible for the playoffs). Just need someone we can throw out there as a small ball 5 if we have to.

As for Gordon, I’m not sure what it would take either. Definitely at least a 1st and 3 players to match salary.
Wainright can still be made eligible, right?
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:45 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:44 am
Mori Chu wrote:

Wainright can still be made eligible, right?
He’d have to be added to the 15-man roster. Currently we have 15 guaranteed contracts, so we’d have to just cut someone loose or make like a 2 for 1 trade to clear the spot.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Trade idea:

Phoenix receives: Robert Covington and Ben McLemore
Portland recieves: Dario Saric, Jalen Smith(or Nader), and a 2nd

Why we do it: Gives us a big wing that is more reliable than Ish and can play some small ball 5 for us. He’s pretty strictly just a catch and shoot guy on offense, but we wouldn’t be asking him to do much. McLemore gives us another shooter, he’s shooting 41% from 3 on 5 attempts a game.

Why Portland does it: They are going nowhere this year and are paying the luxury tax. This cuts just under 2 million off their books and gives them a look at Jalen. If they would rather just have the savings, switch Jalen for Nader and they cut about 4.5 million in salary, which is like an additional 6-7 million in luxury tax savings. The 2nd rounder gives them an asset in return. May need another 2nd as Saric is the only player under contract next year and adds salary. But maybe they see him as a useful player next season.

Side note: switching Covington for Nance saves Portland even more money, but we’d probably have to give up a 1st as Nance is better, but

Saric/Smith/1st for Nance/McLemore works too.

Edit: wait I got that wrong, trading Covington saves them more money this year, but Nance is under contract next year too and we could make that trade with Smith/Nader and keep Saric, but we’d have to throw in Payton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Heard on a podcast today that Eric Gordon has the highest offensive rating on isolations this year(for players with at least 100 isos) He scores 1.2 points per iso. He is just so perfect for us. If we get him, I’d have us as huge favorites to win the title.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I feel like if nothing else materializes, then we should absolutely fall back on a Stix for Schroder trade. Schroder can play either guard spot and can create offense. He’s not my first choice but he’s certainly preferable to any Elfrid minutes in the playoffs.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:11 am
Trade idea:

Phoenix receives: Robert Covington and Ben McLemore
Portland recieves: Dario Saric, Jalen Smith(or Nader), and a 2nd

Why we do it: Gives us a big wing that is more reliable than Ish and can play some small ball 5 for us. He’s pretty strictly just a catch and shoot guy on offense, but we wouldn’t be asking him to do much. McLemore gives us another shooter, he’s shooting 41% from 3 on 5 attempts a game.

Why Portland does it: They are going nowhere this year and are paying the luxury tax. This cuts just under 2 million off their books and gives them a look at Jalen. If they would rather just have the savings, switch Jalen for Nader and they cut about 4.5 million in salary, which is like an additional 6-7 million in luxury tax savings. The 2nd rounder gives them an asset in return. May need another 2nd as Saric is the only player under contract next year and adds salary. But maybe they see him as a useful player next season.

Side note: switching Covington for Nance saves Portland even more money, but we’d probably have to give up a 1st as Nance is better, but

Saric/Smith/1st for Nance/McLemore works too.

Edit: wait I got that wrong, trading Covington saves them more money this year, but Nance is under contract next year too and we could make that trade with Smith/Nader and keep Saric, but we’d have to throw in Payton
I don’t see what this does for us.

We need a guard in a bad way IMO.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I agree, we do. I’d much rather get a guy like Gordon who can play with the ball in his hands. McLemore and Covington are just catch and shoot guys on offense. Covington gives us wing depth and a guy that can play small ball 5. I don’t think he’s a huge difference maker, but he can have a similar impact to what Craig did last year.

McLemore is just an alternative to Shamet. He’s not someone who’s going to create any offense, but he’s also someone who’ll knock down 40%+ of his catch and shoot 3s. Admittedly I’m not sure how he’d hold up defensively, but the shooting is real. He doesn’t really help if Book or Paul get hurt, but that’s much harder to find.

Ultimately they’re just a better allocation of resources. Not a huge upgrade, but Saric is doing nothing for us and Smith is our 5th string C. There’s zero chance he gets rotation minutes in the playoffs unless we’ve got 3 big men injured.

But please don’t go check what they did tonight against the Lakers 😬