2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
pickle

Re: 2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by pickle »

I am not opposed to getting Gordon if we don’t move Payne or Shamet. But I’d be a little surprised if he’s willing to come off the bench behind Payne and I think Payne’s chemistry with McGee and his sheer energy makes me prefer to have him play before Gordon at the backup 1. Gordon might be able to replace Shamet in the rotation and I’d be ok with that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:14 am
I am not opposed to getting Gordon if we don’t move Payne or Shamet. But I’d be a little surprised if he’s willing to come off the bench behind Payne and I think Payne’s chemistry with McGee and his sheer energy makes me prefer to have him play before Gordon at the backup 1. Gordon might be able to replace Shamet in the rotation and I’d be ok with that.
I would think we'd use Gordon more as a backup 2. So yeah, Shamet's minutes would be the ones to suffer.
"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:30 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:56 pm
The Magic might be just as incompetent. The sheer amount of assets Orlando has squandered over the last ~ 10 years is pretty staggering.
They’re close, but they did have the Dwight Howard era, they've made the playoffs 8 times since Sacramento last made it. Even taking out the Howard era, they've made it twice. I thought they did well in both the Gordon and Vucevic trades last year. They’re draft history isn’t terrible, but for as high as they’ve picked you’d like it to be better. Just never found a star.

2013 Victor Oladipo - broke out after leaving
2014 Aaron Gordon - solid starter, not a star
2015 Mario Hezonja - Bust
2016 Domantas Sabonis - traded on draft night for Ibaka
2017 Jonathan Isaac - Really good, just always hurt
2018 Mo Bamba - not good
2019 Chuma Okeke - verdict still out
2020 Cole Anthony - Having a real nice sophomore year
2021 Jalen Suggs and Franz Wagner - I like this draft, TBD
Bamba must have heard you. 32 points last night, including 7-8 from behind the arc ... yeah, where the hell did that come from ...?
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

pickle

Post by pickle »

I think the draft record might not be as bad as their player development and general quality of the franchise. For a few years I’d say our draft record was far worse.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
I think he would get the most back court minutes off the bench. You don't pay someone 20M a year to play 12 minutes a game. Both Payne and Shamet play in nearly every game, and get 20mpg. If we had Gordon and kept those two, I think he would get the majority of both of their minutes to keep him in the 25 mpg range.

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:30 am
I think the draft record might not be as bad as their player development and general quality of the franchise. For a few years I’d say our draft record was far worse.
Ours was far worse, I think you’d struggle to find a team with a worse draft record from like 2003 through 2017

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:26 am
pickle wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:30 am
Ours was far worse, I think you’d struggle to find a team with a worse draft record from like 2003 through 2017
I was going to say, us and the Kings were banded together for a while. Remember Game of Zones?

"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:45 am
pickle wrote:
I think he would get the most back court minutes off the bench. You don't pay someone 20M a year to play 12 minutes a game. Both Payne and Shamet play in nearly every game, and get 20mpg. If we had Gordon and kept those two, I think he would get the majority of both of their minutes to keep him in the 25 mpg range.
Shamet wont be getting many minutes in the playoffs at this point. Payne can hype up the crowd from the bench for all I care. Suns need to crush it in the playoffs. I’d take Gordon over both players.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Gordon would be our clear 3rd guard. He’s much better than Payne or Shamet

pickle

Post by pickle »

He may be. But it doesn’t mean that integrating him mid season won’t impact our chemistry. I really like Payne’s fearlessness and his chemistry with McGee. I almost want us to start Biyombo and keep McGee in the backup role to overlap with Payne.

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:05 pm
He may be. But it doesn’t mean that integrating him mid season won’t impact our chemistry. I really like Payne’s fearlessness and his chemistry with McGee. I almost want us to start Biyombo and keep McGee in the backup role to overlap with Payne.
Sure, always a risk. I’d start by just giving him the Shamet minutes. Let him play with Payne. The playoff rotation will work itself out.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

If (and still a mighty big "if") Gordon is available to the Suns, the deciding factor probably will be CP3.
Paul and Gordon played together in Houston for two years.
I think Chris would have a good feel for if Gordon would fit in with the current Suns ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

LazarusLong wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:27 pm
If (and still a mighty big "if") Gordon is available to the Suns, the deciding factor probably will be CP3.
Paul and Gordon played together in Houston for two years.
I think Chris would have a good feel for if Gordon would fit in with the current Suns ...
For sure, Monty also coached him in New Orleans

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:28 pm
that is exactly what you say to drive value in any trade.

pickle

Post by pickle »

That honestly sounds like we are waiting for the buy out market.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:54 pm
That honestly sounds like we are waiting for the buy out market.
that is supposedly why they didn't use the BAE and only half the MLE so they could offer more than a vet min. Not sure I believe that, though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm fine with that. I don't know if I would want us to make a splashy trade for Eric Gordon or some other player on a big money contract. Too much potential to disrupt the team or mess up our salary cap.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

that 'internal development' is code for 'Stix trade fell through' ... and low and behold he gets some minutes today.

Indy

Post by Indy »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:47 pm
that 'internal development' is code for 'Stix trade fell through' ... and low and behold he gets some minutes today.
also because Javale was out.