Game Day: Heat (24-15) @ Suns (30-8), Sat 1/8/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Heat (24-15) @ Suns (30-8), Sat 1/8/21

Post by ShelC »

Another one to throw away. We definitely didn't match their energy but they were also just unconscious from 3. This was a statement game for the Heat, while sometimes we play a little "too cool" and didn't seem to get up for them. DA, Jae and JaVale are still working themselves back and we couldn't take advantage of our size. It might have been a matchup thing anyway, because we played better with Stix at the 5 - more energy, more speed, more hustle plays. I think he (and possibly Biyombo) might've impacted the game a lot more than DA or JaVale last night.

CP does seem off a bit. He shows good burst when he needs to, but he's been looking a little flat lately and the jumper hasn't been there. I'm worried a bit about burnout with him. Mikal showed a lot offensively, he's just not consistent game to game. Book had a rough shooting night but got to the line 13 times. I had a feeling we'd make a late run and we got their lead down to 13-14 in the 4th, but they pushed it right back to 20 and didn't look back. 60 points off the bench from Herro and Robinson - just can't happen. We let them get into a rhythm and by the time we adjusted it was too late. If we backed off shooters, they made their shots, If we stayed out on them, they drove past us. I don't think we were looking past this game ahead to the road trip, but it would've been nice to get this one at home before going on the road for the next 10 days. Hopefully we can get DA, Jae and JaVale back on track.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Tyler Herro is a legit talent with a solid all around game so I could understand being in two minds if to close out hard and give up drives but.....
Yea the frustrating part was who we gave up 3s to. I mentioned Strus as someone I would figure we would have on the scouting report with his recent production but as for Duncan Robinson there surely couldn't be any surprise factor with him.
The fact we let those two along with Tucker, guys that as EJ repeatedly said don't really wanna put the ball on the floor and drive just comfortably get spot ups was frustrating.
Robinson coming off DHOs and we a step too far off like what else is he gonna do, giving him five first half 3pters and 71 to the Heat was head scratching stuff
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I think Justin Jackson is doing quite fine in his minutes but I'm a lil bias to length on the wing if I'm being honest
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I want Jackson to play well enough to stick around but he's only seen about 8-9 minutes a game so far.

Some quick highlights here. He made a deep 3 at the end of the 3rd that looked good. The last dribble drive was a little awkward and he might have shuffled his feet but he at least he made it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It is hard to win when your opponent hits almost every shot and you miss almost every shot. Bummer of a loss. I guess it is not surprising that our team was a little "off" given how many rotation players are just coming back. But I was hoping for better effort and defense.

I'm a bit worried about Chris Paul. He doesn't quite look like himself. Maybe he is nursing a minor injury or needs a break.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ouch!

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:30 am
It is hard to win when your opponent hits almost every shot and you miss almost every shot. Bummer of a loss. I guess it is not surprising that our team was a little "off" given how many rotation players are just coming back. But I was hoping for better effort and defense.

I'm a bit worried about Chris Paul. He doesn't quite look like himself. Maybe he is nursing a minor injury or needs a break.
He may be fatigued.

He's 36, has played 1,129 games, all of which (I believe) he has started. He's averaged 35 minutes per game.
Monty needs to work with him to limit his minutes in some games so CP3 isn't toast when it's time for the playoffs...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Chris Paul is old. It was unrealistic to expect him to be as good this season as he was last season. Last year was probably our best chance at winning a championship that we will have in a long time.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:44 am
Chris Paul is old. It was unrealistic to expect him to be as good this season as he was last season. Last year was probably our best chance at winning a championship that we will have in a long time.
Stop it. He's had a couple of subpar games but he's been great at 36 year of age. Don't give up after a bad loss.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm pretty sure Billy Kennedy had money on a Heat upset last night.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

CP3 just had a triple double on Thursday. I think he’s fine. I think he’s actually taking it easier in games this year. He’s been less aggressive looking for his own shot. I’m not too worried

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’d feel much more comfortable resting CP here and there if i had any confidence in the PGs behind him. It’s probably the right move either way.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And the Suns get to stew in this loss until Tuesday in Toronto. Speaking of which, I wonder if we’ll be taking our full complement across the border.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:44 pm
And the Suns get to stew in this loss until Tuesday in Toronto. Speaking of which, I wonder if we’ll be taking our full complement across the border.
Saw a tweet with Monty saying everyone that played Saturday is going