Around the League: Week 15 (1/24 to 1/30)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Around the League: Week 15 (1/24 to 1/30)

Post by JeremyG »

We beat the Lakers two first rounds in a row in 2006 and 2007, why not do it again?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:14 pm

One of the challenges is that there are teams that are really trying to win and just don't have the players (or they are injured) and just can't. This inverted method might encourage teams to tank out of the game in a season they know they won't be better than .500, then make a trade at the deadline to win games in the 2nd half to increase their draft odds and drum up support from their base (which usually doesn't pick up until after the superbowl anyway).

Yeah, but that still leads to intentional winning during that span, instead of the embarrassing intentional losing we have to endure currently.

And as I said, the transactions market would be altered as well, with new suitors trying what you mentioned, as well as changing the incentives to buy out veterans to allow them join for peanuts to contenders. The current landscape on transactions at the trade deadline, buyouts and summer fire sales is really far from optimal, so this change it's worth it as a byproduct as well.

It's good to drum up fan support, but this way, it's by winning, not by draft odds increasing with every intentional lost as silver lining. Fan bases rooting for it’s team to lose, what a twisted outcome.

Now, if a team it's intentionally preparing to tank all year long, it's harder to stop them this way, but at least the fence is higher, because as you said, they would eventually be forced to make moves on the direction of winning, and that clearly cost more and require mixed transactions on precise moments, so teams will find it harder to pull it off.
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pickle

Post by pickle »

The Jazz are in a free fall and might have lost Ingles for a significant period. This might turn them into a deadline buyer.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Thought this was funny. In reality they’ve been hurt and they can’t play without their big 2.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I watched the video of the Ingles injury. Looked pretty bad. That sucks for them. They have a really good team and I'm sure they just want a chance to go for a title run.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:34 am
I watched the video of the Ingles injury. Looked pretty bad. That sucks for them. They have a really good team and I'm sure they just want a chance to go for a title run.
when you see his tibia pop forward and his knee cap snap sideways, it isn't good. I would be surprised if he didn't completely tear his ACL and MCL and probably damage to the meniscus.

Split T

Post by Split T »

With the way he and the team are talking about it, it feels like Ingles knows that was probably career ending. He’s 34 and was already fading. An ACL will put him out a year with rehab and he just might not be able to get enough back to play again.

Indy

Post by Indy »

who pays millions of dollars for a 35 year old coming back from an ACL tear? I mean at least his game didn't depend on athleticism, but still.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya…like maybe some team gives him a 10-day contract late next season? And by team, I feel like it would only be the Jazz. We’ll see

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I will be honest
We are cruising along so well that I haven't really been checking what the others have been doing. Kinda hard to miss the Grizz updates as Ja the talk of the town, knew Joker been still ballin but didn't realize Nuggets playing well now

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:31 am
who pays millions of dollars for a 35 year old coming back from an ACL tear? I mean at least his game didn't depend on athleticism, but still.
Yeah, he likely will never be the same, and maybe even won't really ever come back from this injury. Ingles isn't super athletic, but despite his lack of speed he does actually do a lot of dribbling and can drive to the basket and either lay it up or find an open teammate. So it'll be hard for him to get back to that level. I think this really hurts the Jazz. Ingles was lowkey really deadly for them. It's a big loss.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He was very good last year, had taken a step back this year. Jazz were looking to move his expiring contract, honestly this probably makes it easier to move him.