Around the League: Week 15 (1/24 to 1/30)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: Week 15 (1/24 to 1/30)

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:25 am
I would not count out a healthy Lebron, AD and Russ. If they get hot at the right time, they can beat anyone.
They're especially scary because they have 3 refs and half the Phoenix crowd on their side.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Wonderful stat line by Russ, followed by an absolute amateur move at the end of the game. Always wants to be the hero rather than just win the game.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Lakers 3-7 in their last 10.

It's not in their DNA to stay healthy, why does anyone expect that to change?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wouldn’t expect it to change, but it could happen. We’d obviously trounce them if the current team is what makes the playoffs, but LeBron and AD healthy and playing at their best at the same time is still tough…regardless of the other 3. I still think we win, but there’s a world where we have a cold shooting night or two, they sneak out a couple wins, Westbrook has his one 35/10/10 game of the series and all of a sudden we’re in a game 7 against LeBron. I’d rather not deal with that in round 1 and get Minnesota or a depleted Clippers team instead.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

MightyMoog wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:52 am
Wonderful stat line by Russ, followed by an absolute amateur move at the end of the game. Always wants to be the hero rather than just win the game.
What'd he do?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:12 am
Lakers 3-7 in their last 10.

It's not in their DNA to stay healthy, why does anyone expect that to change?
Like split said, nobody is expecting them to all be healthy for an entire season. Almost no team does that. But if they are healthy for 2 months, that is enough to win a ring. I am not saying it is likely, but I would rather play any team in the West besides a fully healthy and focused Lakers team. But I don't expect it to come to that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Just like last year, we'll take whomever we get and take care of business. Would I like an easier path? Sure. But we can only control ourselves and can't worry about the rest. Lakers currently seem destined for that 8th seed. Let the chips fall where they may.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:20 pm
Just like last year, we'll take whomever we get and take care of business. Would I like an easier path? Sure. But we can only control ourselves and can't worry about the rest. Lakers currently seem destined for that 8th seed. Let the chips fall where they may.
Yeah, I expect to see them in the first round. But I don't expect them to be healthy, and Lakers fans will continue to whine about it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:29 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:20 pm
Yeah, I expect to see them in the first round. But I don't expect them to be healthy, and Lakers fans will continue to whine about it.
If your first sentence happens, I hope every word of the second sentence happens but without the scare of falling behind this time. That would be fun.

My timing was horrible last year. I was in Vegas betting Suns when they lost games 2 & 3. It wasn't until I left that they won the rest.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I hope Lakers snag that 7 seed. Let the Warriors and Lakers battle it out in round 1.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oh boy
Shai again.....

Last year with it being another lost season they sat him forever post All Star break. Gonna see how this one plays out

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s probably done for the year, OKC will just pull the plug on the season again. I really hope this amounts to nothing for them. I hope they piss off SGA and he asks out and they struggle to figure out what to do with all those picks. I just think it’s bad for the game/league to have a team do what they are doing.

I’m in favor of removing the strong tie-in of record and draft position. Make it more random.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:02 pm
I’m in favor of removing the strong tie-in of record and draft position. Make it more random.
Yeah, I would do a loose tie-in to record.

4 tiers

PICKS 1-4:
Bottom 8 teams by record: All names go into a hat, first 4 teams pulled from hat are the sports 4, 3, 2, 1. Remaining for teams get kicked into next bucket. If you have a bottom 8 record, you have a 12.5% chance of getting the #1 pick, but a 50% chance of getting kicked into next tier (and could even fall to ~15th).

PICKS 5-15ish:
4 losers from PICKS 1-4 + any other team with a losing record: Same thing as before. All names go into a hat (regardless of how many teams had losing records). Draw for each pick 5 through whatever the last pick would be.

PICKS 16-26:
Rest of league (.500 or better) except 4 conference finalists: Same thing. All names, draw from hat...

PICKS 27-30:
4 Conference finalist round out remaining 4 picks in 1st round, in reverse order of Champion, runner up, conference runners ups based on record.

2ND ROUND
2nd round picks are completely random with every team having an equal chance at each position.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:50 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:02 pm
Yeah, I would do a loose tie-in to record.

4 tiers

PICKS 1-4:
Bottom 8 teams by record: All names go into a hat, first 4 teams pulled from hat are the sports 4, 3, 2, 1. Remaining for teams get kicked into next bucket. If you have a bottom 8 record, you have a 12.5% chance of getting the #1 pick, but a 50% chance of getting kicked into next tier (and could even fall to ~15th).

PICKS 5-15ish:
4 losers from PICKS 1-4 + any other team with a losing record: Same thing as before. All names go into a hat (regardless of how many teams had losing records). Draw for each pick 5 through whatever the last pick would be.

PICKS 16-26:
Rest of league (.500 or better) except 4 conference finalists: Same thing. All names, draw from hat...

PICKS 27-30:
4 Conference finalist round out remaining 4 picks in 1st round, in reverse order of Champion, runner up, conference runners ups based on record.

2ND ROUND
2nd round picks are completely random with every team having an equal chance at each position.
I like it, I might switch your first group to the bottom 10 and just say the 10 teams who don’t make the play-in are in it. Then draw for 1-5. There’s a small chance in the bottom 8 method that those 9th or 10th worst teams tank to get into the group. Of course you still have a chance they’d tank in the bottom 10 method, but I think it’s smaller as getting into the play-in would be a nice incentive.

I’m also not opposed to the wheel method that was talked about a few years back. Completely breaks the link between draft position and record. Of course you’d have to essentially commit to it for 30 years for it to be fair. And that’s assuming you add no teams, which would mess it up.

One thought I’ve had is a combination of the wheel and current method(or combine with your method). Basically you make 6 draft zones of 5 slots(1-5, 6-10, etc.) The divisions just rotate through which zone they get, so each division would draft in each zone every 6 years. You’d then use some sort of lottery to pick the order within the division, but I like your method.

For example, let’s say the Atlantic division had the 1st zone this year. All the teams from the Atlantic that fail to qualify for the playoffs or play-in would go into a hat and draw for 1st. Currently just the Knicks, so they’d get 1st. Then you’d draw for teams that made the play-in but lost and failed to make the playoffs(potentially Toronto and Boston), then you’d draw for playoff teams that didn’t make the conference finals(potentially Toronto, Boston, Philly, and Brooklyn), then teams that made the conference finals.

I will admit that with 6 divisions and only 5 teams per division it’s a little problematic as you’d get a scenario like this year where a team like the Knicks would have huge incentive to tank out of the play-in and just guarantee the 1st pick. Or even worse, if the Pacific had the top zone, a team like the Lakers or Clippers could throw in the towel due to injuries and get the 1st pick. But if we expand to 32 and switch to 4 divisions of 8. You’d on average have 3 teams per division in the bottom tier. Less likely to be able to guarantee the top pick.

I liked the idea more a few years back though. I think you run the risk of teams just planning to tank once every 4 or 6 years. I think I like your idea more.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

I would deliver ping pongs balls on two different sets:

First set goes based on the first 50 or so games, on the traditional way, worst teams during the first 50 games gets more balls.

But then, for the last 32 games, all the non- playoffs teams get a second set of balls based on their records during that span, the better you close, the more balls you get. Bad teams have now something play for, as every win means more balls, not the opposite like nowadays.

Of course this year’s Clippers or Denver could be set by getting back their long year injured players, but still would encourage the overall lower field to actually try to win, and probably would prevent some fire sales and buyouts, as they will need a competitive roster to close the season. The league can tweak how many balls include each set in order to equalize it, and perhaps deliver a third set on a mini tournament.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Looks like Raptors v Heat was a good game, went triple OT but still this is a crazy box score #starterminutes :shock: :o

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:40 pm
MightyMoog wrote:
What'd he do?
Dribble, dribble, dribble contested 3 which clanked. Thing is they were only down 2 with momentum on their side. Should’ve driven in for a layup.

You never want to do what the other team is hoping you’ll do.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:41 am

First set goes based on the first 50 or so games, on the traditional way, worst teams during the first 50 games gets more balls.

But then, for the last 32 games, all the non- playoffs teams get a second set of balls based on their records during that span, the better you close, the more balls you get. Bad teams have now something play for, as every win means more balls, not the opposite like nowadays.
That's an interesting idea. Avoids encouraging tanking at the end of the season while still giving bad teams a bit of a leg up to help them get better.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

MightyMoog wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:14 am
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:40 pm
MightyMoog wrote:
What'd he do?
Dribble, dribble, dribble contested 3 which clanked. Thing is they were only down 2 with momentum on their side. Should’ve driven in for a layup.

You never want to do what the other team is hoping you’ll do.
Right. Especially Westbrook with his horrible 3 point shooting. His strength is driving to the hoop.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:41 am

Of course this year’s Clippers or Denver could be set by getting back their long year injured players, but still would encourage the overall lower field to actually try to win, and probably would prevent some fire sales and buyouts, as they will need a competitive roster to close the season. The league can tweak how many balls include each set in order to equalize it, and perhaps deliver a third set on a mini tournament.
One of the challenges is that there are teams that are really trying to win and just don't have the players (or they are injured) and just can't. This inverted method might encourage teams to tank out of the game in a season they know they won't be better than .500, then make a trade at the deadline to win games in the 2nd half to increase their draft odds and drum up support from their base (which usually doesn't pick up until after the superbowl anyway).