Suns News: Week 17 (2/7 - 2/13)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
wpmiller42

Suns News: Week 17 (2/7 - 2/13)

Post by wpmiller42 »

Last Week's Games

Tuesday, February 1st vs. Brooklyn Nets Win! 121-111
Thursday, February 3rd @ Atlanta Hawks Loss. 115-124
Saturday, February 5th @ Washington Wizards Win! 95-80

This Week's Games

Monday, February 7th @ Chicago Bulls 6:00 P.M. MST
Tuesday, February 8th @ Philadelphia 76ers 5:00 P.M. MST
Thursday, February 10th vs Milwaukee Bucks 8:00 P.M. MST
Saturday, February 12th vs Orlando Magic 7:00 P.M. MST

Suns Stories

NBA Trade Deadline Preview: Wings the Suns Should Target

Lowe's 10 Things, but a nice little blurb on the Suns

wpmiller42

Re: Suns News 2/7 - 2/13

Post by wpmiller42 »

I'll keep looking for news stories, but most things are nonsensical trade deadline clickbait things...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks for the thread WP! Appreciate it. No worries about stocking the thread with a ton of stories; I just think of the thread posting as beginning the discussion. I don't want making the threads to feel like a huge work item that the person is stuck with each week. Others can and should share stories and tweets that are interesting as the week goes on.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There are 112 players in the NBA worse than Landry Shamet? I am doubtful.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:45 pm
Have you seen some of the guys teams have been throwing out there this year? With the covid issues, we’ve seen a lot of bad nba basketball players this year.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
He's got to be worse than all of them if you see him as a "disaster", right?
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:18 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
I'd love to know how many players are playing worse than Shamet who are of comparable age / years in the league, and comparable contract amount/length. Most of the players below him are probably rookie-scale guys or guys barely in the NBA on tiny contracts to fill out rosters.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well here’s a list of guys who’ve played 400 minutes and have a lower WS/48 and BPM than Shamet:

Keldon Johnson, Lu Dort, Reggie Bullock, Nassir Little, Saddiq Bey, Spencer Dinwiddie, Anfernee Simons, Justin Holiday, Cory Joseph, Doug McDermott, Chris Duarte, Furkan Korkmaz, Buddy Hield, Georges Niang, Devonte Graham, Immanuel Quickley, Jordan Clarkson, Gary Harris, Russell Westbrook, RJ Barrett, Torrey Craig, Kevin Heurter, Eric Gordon, Malik Beasley, and De’Aaron Fox

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:00 pm
Well here’s a list of guys who’ve played 400 minutes and have a lower WS/48 and BPM than Shamet:

Keldon Johnson, Lu Dort, Reggie Bullock, Nassir Little, Saddiq Bey, Spencer Dinwiddie, Anfernee Simons, Justin Holiday, Cory Joseph, Doug McDermott, Chris Duarte, Furkan Korkmaz, Buddy Hield, Georges Niang, Devonte Graham, Immanuel Quickley, Jordan Clarkson, Gary Harris, Russell Westbrook, RJ Barrett, Torrey Craig, Kevin Heurter, Eric Gordon, Malik Beasley, and De’Aaron Fox
Uh oh. :) Super interesting data though, thank you for gathering that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Haha, Gordon’s problem with advanced stats is he doesn’t really do anything but score. We wouldn’t be asking him to do much beyond that though. He’s currently got a pretty high turnover rate which is hurting him. It’s also why Shamet fairs ok with advanced stats. He doesn’t do anything negative. His shooting has been pretty meh, but he doesn’t turn the ball over.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:27 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:18 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
I'd love to know how many players are playing worse than Shamet who are of comparable age / years in the league, and comparable contract amount/length. Most of the players below him are probably rookie-scale guys or guys barely in the NBA on tiny contracts to fill out rosters.
I am not going to bother looking up contracts dollars and I don't have RAPTOR/LEBRON/NEWFANCYNAME advanced stats that are only used by 538.

But there are 17 guys in the league that are on their Age 24 season and played in 400 minutes (the cut off in the article above). Of those 17 guys, Shamet is:

5th in Win Share
6th in Offensive Win Shares
2nd in Defensive Win Shares
8th in WS/48
6th in Box Score +/-
5th in VORP

Combine this with what Split posted (which didn't worry about similar age) and you get a good idea.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:13 pm
Haha, Gordon’s problem with advanced stats is he doesn’t really do anything but score. We wouldn’t be asking him to do much beyond that though. He’s currently got a pretty high turnover rate which is hurting him. It’s also why Shamet fairs ok with advanced stats. He doesn’t do anything negative. His shooting has been pretty meh, but he doesn’t turn the ball over.
I sometimes wonder if these public advanced stats properly measure the negative value of a turnover (and the different kinds of turnovers).

As an example, if you drive in for a shot and get called for a charge, that's a turnover, but it's a dead-ball situation and not a worse result for your team than a badly missed shot that leads to a fast break. That's a "better" type of turnover than a pass out of bounds (dead-ball, no shot attempt) and certainly better than a live-ball turnover. However, "turnover rate" treats each of these actions the same.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:36 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:13 pm
I sometimes wonder if these public advanced stats properly measure the negative value of a turnover (and the different kinds of turnovers).

As an example, if you drive in for a shot and get called for a charge, that's a turnover, but it's a dead-ball situation and not a worse result for your team than a badly missed shot that leads to a fast break. That's a "better" type of turnover than a pass out of bounds (dead-ball, no shot attempt) and certainly better than a live-ball turnover. However, "turnover rate" treats each of these actions the same.
That’s a good point, live ball turnovers are so much worse…I’m surprised that’s not a publicly available stat.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I also don’t think turnovers always capture who’s at fault. A turnover almost always goes to the passer, but sometimes it’s simply a big man that can’t catch a pass. There’s intricacies that are there that stats don’t capture. Also if you’ve got a big who catches everything, including bad passes…the big won’t get credit for that.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

This is almost shocking to me just because it's Elfrid lol
So the guy actually has a sense of humour and, actually talks... ?!?
Even jokes around with the fellas ?!?

That tweet is like the first sign of personality I've seen from him smh lol, then again maybe the Baby pics stuff during timeouts