Around the League Week 17 (2/7 - 2/13)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
LazarusLong

Re: Around the League Week 17 (2/7 - 2/13)

Post by LazarusLong »

“… but we go a little crazy over a guy that publicly demanded a trade out…usually those guys get booed when they come back. They don’t have fans wishing he’d come back to the team.”

On May 7, 2010, during game 3 of the Western Conference Semifinals, Goran Dragić led a Phoenix Suns comeback against the San Antonio Spurs, scoring 23 of his total 26 points in the fourth quarter. Dragić scored his points on 10/13 FG attempts including 5/5 three-pointers and a 4-point play, as the Suns overcame an early 18-point deficit to defeat the Spurs 110–96 and take a 3–0 lead in their best of seven series in the Western Conference Semifinals. “I think it's safe to say that may have been the best fourth-quarter performance I have ever seen in a playoff game,” said Grant Hill.

The assumption was that Dragić would be the Suns’ third guard and first guy off the bench the next season. Instead, Phoenix signed Josh Childress, Vince Carter and got Jared Dudley to drop 20 pounds so he could move to guard. Dragić’s playing time actually dropped slightly. Even when he got to play, the offense sometimes ran through the newly acquired Hedo Türkoğlu. Justifiably miffed, he asked to be traded, and was sent to Houston.

In 2012, Dragić became an unrestricted free agent. He agreed to sign a 4-year, $30 million deal with Suns, a move celebrated by Robert Sarver. The signing paid dividends, as Dragić had his best season in 2013-14, as he won the 2014 NBA Most Improved Player Award, and made the 2014 All-NBA Third Team.
The next season, the Suns signed Isaiah Thomas. Often playing together with the 5-8 Thomas and 6-1 Eric Bledsoe, Dragić was forced to guard players 3-5 inches taller. After complaints to management, Dragić was dealt to the Miami Heat.

In short, Dragić got the shaft twice by Suns management. It’s a prime exhibit (one of many) of Suns clown mismanagement during that forgettable era.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s just funny to me that he seems to be talked about at times like he’s up their with Booker, Nash, Amare, or Marion as far as recent suns favorites. I’m not saying he’s Bledsoe or Markieff, but to me he’s somewhere between Channing Frye and Leandro Barbosa with guys like Raja, Hill, Richardson, and Dudley.

He was just the one bright spot in a dark era between Nash and Booker

Split T

Post by Split T »

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Split T wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:51 pm
It’s just funny to me that he seems to be talked about at times like he’s up their with Booker, Nash, Amare, or Marion as far as recent suns favorites. I’m not saying he’s Bledsoe or Markieff, but to me he’s somewhere between Channing Frye and Leandro Barbosa with guys like Raja, Hill, Richardson, and Dudley.

In the pantheon of great Suns guards, he's somewhere in the lobby on the "honorable mention" wall ...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:14 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:51 pm

In the pantheon of great Suns guards, he's somewhere in the lobby on the "honorable mention" wall ...
Yeah, nobody is saying he's at the top or that we should bring him back at this age. Just that we don't have animosity toward him and he got the shaft from McD and Sarver.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t even necessarily mean people on here, it’s mostly on Twitter…I see a lot of people who always want to bring Dragic back.

As far as suns PG go, he’s probably just outside the top 5, depending on whether you count Westphal a pg or a sg…Nash, CP3, Kidd, and KJ are the clear top 4…he and Marbury are probably next…though maybe I’m forgetting someone pre 90’s

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:00 pm
Oh chaaa
Bummer

You did me dirty, FlagrantFowl. I’ve been hoodwinked and bamboozled.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Split T wrote:
Like Carmelo and Westbrook, Irving has been an LVP contender since way back.

You go spread your wings away from Cleveland and LeBron Kyrie, you go!!!

Lol.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Split T wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:37 pm
I don’t even necessarily mean people on here, it’s mostly on Twitter…I see a lot of people who always want to bring Dragic back.

As far as suns PG go, he’s probably just outside the top 5, depending on whether you count Westphal a pg or a sg…Nash, CP3, Kidd, and KJ are the clear top 4…he and Marbury are probably next…though maybe I’m forgetting someone pre 90’s
Charlie Scott was fairly decent.

Gail Goodrich earned his NBA spurs in the first two years of the Suns franchise.
He'd been a reserve with the Lakers, but stepped up his game as a starter in Phoenix ...

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’m still annoyed that we gave up a pick in addition to Dragic (the superior player) to get Aaron Brooks.

Lance Blanks (the worst) should never have been allowed near a phone with Darryl Morey on the other end.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:49 pm
You did me dirty, FlagrantFowl. I’ve been hoodwinked and bamboozled.
:lol: Due diligence, my guy.

I wouldn't be anywhere near the playoffs had I not traded Lillard for LaMelo Ball early in the season, and it turned out my suspicion of Lillard's injury became a reality. I definitely wouldn't have a chance to win the league if Lavine misses a bunch of games. Let's see if I'm lucky enough to get it right twice.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Can't help but laugh at this. The guy everyone wanted the Suns to draft with a no-look dime to the guy they drafted instead but couldn't figure out how to use.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Not even talking about the suns specifically, but what were teams missing on Haliburton in the draft? Sometimes I think people try too hard. I’m no expert of course, but I had Haliburton top 2. I think I might have had him 1, but I did also like Ball and thought he had the highest upside. But, what Haliburton has done in the league is pretty much exactly what I envisioned and it seemed pretty clear he’d be this. Now he doesn’t have the ceiling of Ball, which is why I might’ve had Ball 1, but no way he should’ve fallen out of the top 5 imo.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

[no fucking comment]

Split T

Post by Split T »

If the draft was redone right now, I’d guess it goes:

1. Minny - Anthony Edwards - Was scared for them, but they got it right.
2. GS - LaMelo Ball - Wow they blew this golden opportunity. Honestly could make an argument for Hali here.
3. CHA - Haliburton - Ball if GS goes Hali.
4. CHI - Bane - Their original pick(Williams) is a better fit, but Bane just feels like a significantly better player at this point.
5. CLE - Maxey - Rounds out what I think are clearly the best 5.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Maxey and Bane were the steals of the 2020 first round.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yep…I remember saying maybe we should look more at Maxey. Those Kentucky guards have a habit of being better in the nba than in college(Booker, Herro, Maxey)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:13 pm
Can't help but laugh at this. The guy everyone wanted the Suns to draft with a no-look dime to the guy they drafted instead but couldn't figure out how to use.
That clip gives me an ulcer. Too much Suns draft failure in one clip.

Split T

Post by Split T »

East gets another replacement…I’d go Siakam, but Jarrett Allen and Jaylen Brown have an argument too