Game Day: Suns (43-10) @ 76ers (32-21), Tues 2/8/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Game Day: Suns (43-10) @ 76ers (32-21), Tues 2/8/22

Post by AmareIsGod »

Just because we don't see any movement that has transpired doesn't mean that James Jones is sitting back relaxing, not fielding conversation with other teams, or seeing what he can do to address weaknesses. Who knows if he hasn't already tried moving certain pieces we are deeming him to be irresponsible to not try moving? I think it's difficult being an armchair GM and critical simply because we haven't yet seen the type of subtraction and addition to our roster we've imagined yet. The trade deadline isn't over and the buyout period hasn't begun.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:54 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:52 pm
Ya Saric is trickier, so I think there’s some leeway there if we can’t move him. But it would be irresponsible to not try. Even if it’s just for a player with a similar contract next year. We’re getting zero value out of his roster spot and salary.
the other team wouldn't either. so it seems like we would need to give more assets than he is worth.
Yes, you’d have to give up something, I don’t really see Saric as an asset. He’s just a salary filler. So you’d need to attach something to him. You’d be trading him to a team that isn’t competitive this year and doesn’t need him

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:03 pm
Just because we don't see any movement that has transpired doesn't mean that James Jones is sitting back relaxing, not fielding conversation with other teams, or seeing what he can do to address weaknesses. Who knows if he hasn't already tried moving certain pieces we are deeming him to be irresponsible to not try moving? I think it's difficult being an armchair GM and critical simply because we haven't yet seen the type of subtraction and addition to our roster we've imagined yet. The trade deadline isn't over and the buyout period hasn't begun.
I didn’t say he was irresponsible, just that it would be irresponsible. My comment wasn’t directed towards JJ, I do actually expect he’ll do something. It was more directed to you saying you didn’t think we’d be players in the trade market. I think we will because it doesn’t make sense not to.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:10 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:54 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:52 pm
Ya Saric is trickier, so I think there’s some leeway there if we can’t move him. But it would be irresponsible to not try. Even if it’s just for a player with a similar contract next year. We’re getting zero value out of his roster spot and salary.
the other team wouldn't either. so it seems like we would need to give more assets than he is worth.
Yes, you’d have to give up something, I don’t really see Saric as an asset. He’s just a salary filler. So you’d need to attach something to him. You’d be trading him to a team that isn’t competitive this year and doesn’t need him
Right. So you have to give up assets, and likely take more money back, which also cuts into Cam/Ayton for next year.

I hope they can figure something out, it just isn't easy to find a willing partner.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:11 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
I didn’t say he was irresponsible, just that it would be irresponsible. My comment wasn’t directed towards JJ, I do actually expect he’ll do something. It was more directed to you saying you didn’t think we’d be players in the trade market. I think we will because it doesn’t make sense not to.
I misspoke. The moves we'll make to add a valuable piece will likely come from a buyout. I don't foresee us making any sort of trade with the players we have that are tradeable for a valuable piece to the puzzle.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
agreed. we need to be trying to maximize our roster and there is no reason to keep Stix here (for him or us).

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:15 pm
Split T wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
I misspoke. The moves we'll make to add a valuable piece will likely come from a buyout. I don't foresee us making any sort of trade with the players we have that are tradeable for a valuable piece to the puzzle.
But we have no roster spots to use in the buy out market. So we either cut those guys and eat their contracts so we can sign a buy out player, or we do a two-for-1 type of trade now. Why eat their salary if we don't have to? And we might get a 2nd rounder out of it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:15 pm
Split T wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Gotcha, ya I think that’s possible. We may end up just moving Smith for a 2nd or a non-guaranteed deal that we can waive to clear a roster spot for a buyout guy. Think that’s certainly a realistic scenario.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I didn't think we can trade him for just a pick due to his salary value. Am I wrong there?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya only if it was to a team that had cap space or a trade exemption big enough to absorb him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:49 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:08 am
Somehow, I made it all the way to the end of the Philly broadcast. What a whiner Abdelnaby is. He went on and on about Book getting an Academy Award multiple times. The Philly players NEVER got fouled according to him.
That one offensive foul with Embiid jumping into Cam J was also called horribly by their broadcast. It’s a new rule, learn it and appreciate how the league is putting a stop to these stupid non basketball plays. 1. If the rule were still there CP3 would be getting 3 a game. 2. A big 7’2 guy like Embiid bumping into someone while at full speed and taking a tumble to goad a foul is shameful and probably shouldn’t be encouraged given how injury prone he is.
Oh, I know. I was yelling at the screen and calling Abelnaby an idiot! It was so, so obvious. Especially when seeing it on the replay.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And I didn't see much mention of it but even though Crowder was having a lousy shooting game, that strip at the end was huge! Might have been the difference in us getting out with a W.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:17 pm
And I didn't see much mention of it but even though Crowder was having a lousy shooting game, that strip at the end was huge! Might have been the difference in us getting out with a W.
0-fer on the night shooting but 14 boards, 4 assists, 2 steals and a block. Love me some BOSSMAN!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:11 pm
pickle wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Somehow, I made it all the way to the end of the Philly broadcast. What a whiner Abdelnaby is. He went on and on about Book getting an Academy Award multiple times. The Philly players NEVER got fouled according to him.
That one offensive foul with Embiid jumping into Cam J was also called horribly by their broadcast. It’s a new rule, learn it and appreciate how the league is putting a stop to these stupid non basketball plays. 1. If the rule were still there CP3 would be getting 3 a game. 2. A big 7’2 guy like Embiid bumping into someone while at full speed and taking a tumble to goad a foul is shameful and probably shouldn’t be encouraged given how injury prone he is.
Oh, I know. I was yelling at the screen and calling Abelnaby an idiot! It was so, so obvious. Especially when seeing it on the replay.
Their play by play announcer was awful.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LazarusLong wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:17 pm
Eric Gordon could be this team's version of 2004-05 Jimmy Jackson.
So, we'll trade for him, he'll play well for us for the rest of the year, and then next season he'll come back as a rotting corpse?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:31 pm
Superbone wrote:
pickle wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I'll give her a pass because a female lead pxp announcer is extremely rare. Are there any others?
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:00 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Superbone wrote:
pickle wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I'll give her a pass because a female lead pxp announcer is extremely rare. Are there any others?
Milwaukee. Also not great.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:08 pm
Superbone wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Superbone wrote:
pickle wrote:

Milwaukee. Also not great.
Gotta start somewhere. How about the G-League?
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Superbone wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

I don't want to make this political at all... having said that, I wouldn't give her a pass just because it's a she. She was awful and they both need to learn that a good joke gets bad after using it 2-3 times in a short span, let alone 8-10 times. Everybody exaggerates motions on the court to get calls, Embiid is maybe the most egregious of all 30 active players in this game. Talk about the Oscars once. Twice if you have to. Then STFU.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:41 am
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:20 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:58 am
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:52 am
But he doesn't average that on the season. Not a fair comparison.

Over that same stretch, Harden and Kyrie are over 37 mpg. Nobody is saying they need to cut back. Same with DeRozan. And a dozen other guys. It isn't ideal, and I do hope they make a move to shore up the backcourt and big wing positions. I am thinking they will wait for the buyout market, though.
They aren’t 35+ years old. With a history of soft tissue injuries at the end of the season. Apples to oranges, Indiana.
history of soft tissue injuries at the end of the season? 4 years ago he missed 2 playoffs games with a hamstring pull, and last year hurt his shoulder. That's the history you are talking about?
Sigh.
Chris Paul hamstring injury, 2019

Chris Paul missed time in the middle of the 2018-19 season due to a hamstring injury. In this time, Austin Rivers stepped up tremendously.

Chris Paul hamstring injury, Western Conference Finals 2018

Chris Paul suffered a hamstring injury in 2018 that serves as one of the greatest “what-if” moments for Houston Rockets fans. Paul missed Game 6 and Game 7 in the Western Conference Finals in 2018, two games that the Rockets lost to the Golden State Warriors by 29 and nine points, respectively.

Up 3-2 prior to him missing time, it’s clear his absence had an impact.

This injury could have cost the Rockets a title.

Chris Paul bruised knee, December 2017

Chris Paul missed 14 games near the start of 2017 due to a bruised knee.

Chris Paul torn thumb ligaments, 2017

Chris Paul missed 14 games in 2017 due to torn thumb ligaments.

Chris Paul broken hand, 2016 NBA Playoffs (opening round)

Chris Paul broke his hand in the first round of the 2016 playoffs while a member of the LA Clippers. The Clippers lost four straight games, including the final two without Paul, as the Trail Blazers waltzed onto the next round.

Chris Paul hamstring injury, 2015 Western Conference Semifinals

During the Western Conference Semifinals in 2015, Chris Paul, then a Clipper, missed the first two games against the Houston Rockets. The LA Clippers won the first game and lost the second. Paul would return in this series and averaged 21.2 points and 10.0 assists per game. His return wouldn’t be enough, though, as the Rockets won in an exciting Game 7 by 13 points.

Chris Paul separated shoulder, 2014

Chris Paul went down with a separated shoulder in 2014 and missed 18 straight games. This injury is perhaps the most comparable for Paul’s current contusion, though a contusion and a separation are much different. Paul averaged 18.6 points per game upon returning this season.

Chris Paul bruised kneecap, 2013

Chris Paul suffered a bruised kneecap in 2013. He missed a few games, came back to play in two games, and then went out for 9 more.

Chris Paul mysterious knee injury, 2010

In 2010, as a Hornet guard, Chris Paul went out “indefinitely” (at first, anyway) with a knee injury that was at first referred to as just a bruise. An MRI revealed there was underlying structural damage, but there was no tear to any ligaments, curiously. Paul came back later that season after missing 30 straight games.

Chris Paul sprained ankle, 2006-07

In Chris Paul’s sophomore season with the New Orleans Hornets, he missed a month due to a sprained ankle. As a result he did not play for the USA Team that summer.
https://valleyofthesuns.com/2021/06/24/ ... dates/amp/