Game Day: Suns (43-10) @ 76ers (32-21), Tues 2/8/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Game Day: Suns (43-10) @ 76ers (32-21), Tues 2/8/22

Post by bajanguy008 »

First time hearing the Cam news was watching the game when they brought it up to start the 2nd half. Wow man, I'm bummed plus he didn't play well tonight either smh
Shooting aside, still really gotta get better at the midrange pull ups and floaters.

Speaking of which, Mikal is playing so well man 💪👍

But yea, I'm bummed 🤦🏾‍♂️
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:32 pm
Payton had 6 pts, 3 assists .... and 0 (zero) turnovers.
He wasn't spectacular, but he was steady in tough game. Props.
Yep, got to give him props for another solid game. When he went to the FT line I just begged for him to make at least one. He made them both.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:08 pm
Paul played 42 minutes.

That’s my take away from this game.

I don’t care about the win.
How does that half empty glass taste?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Somehow, I made it all the way to the end of the Philly broadcast. What a whiner Abdelnaby is. He went on and on about Book getting an Academy Award multiple times. The Philly players NEVER got fouled according to him.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:23 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:21 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:35 pm
Y’all are way too happy about us running our guys into the ground to get a regular season trophy
You're way too scared of an injury that is impossible to predict instead of enjoying possibly the best Suns team ever.
I have bigger long-term goals for this team. Running them unnecessarily into the ground for regular season victories is ridiculous. There are no trophies for the best regular season team.
CP's minutes have ticked up the last few weeks because of injuries but it's not like he's averaging 35-37mpg on the season. And the way he paces himself and picks his spots in games, I'm not as worried about burnout/fatigue later on that way I was with a guy like Nash, who only knew how to play at 150mph. Monty mentioned the minutes in postgame, so they're all aware of the uptick. This isn't like Thibs playing guys 40minutes in blowouts and not caring. And I do think there's a benefit to winning tough games against good teams that outweighs the benefits of CP playing 3-4 fewer minutes per game. You can't just play CP 25mpg during the regular season to "save him for later".

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:15 am
specialsauce wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Y’all are way too happy about us running our guys into the ground to get a regular season trophy
You're way too scared of an injury that is impossible to predict instead of enjoying possibly the best Suns team ever.
I have bigger long-term goals for this team. Running them unnecessarily into the ground for regular season victories is ridiculous. There are no trophies for the best regular season team.
CP's minutes have ticked up the last few weeks because of injuries but it's not like he's averaging 35-37mpg on the season. And the way he paces himself and picks his spots in games, I'm not as worried about burnout/fatigue later on that way I was with a guy like Nash, who only knew how to play at 150mph. Monty mentioned the minutes in postgame, so they're all aware of the uptick. This isn't like Thibs playing guys 40minutes in blowouts and not caring. And I do think there's a benefit to winning tough games against good teams that outweighs the benefits of CP playing 3-4 fewer minutes per game. You can't just play CP 25mpg during the regular season to "save him for later".
They haven’t just “ticked up.”

He’s 8th in the entire league in minutes played.

Mikal is 3rd.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He's played a lot of minutes because he hasn't missed games like others. I know that doesn't exactly help the argument, but his averages are still in line. He was playing about 31mpg three weeks ago, now he's around 37 because we're missing Payne and Shamet. Mikal's always played heavier minutes. He's a younger player who has the legs - he's our Shawn Marion ironman.

And for me, it's about how "hard" those minutes are. CP plays at about half speed until the 4th. He's worked harder this last stretch of games, but he's not out there killing himself each night to scratch out some wins.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:08 am
Somehow, I made it all the way to the end of the Philly broadcast. What a whiner Abdelnaby is. He went on and on about Book getting an Academy Award multiple times. The Philly players NEVER got fouled according to him.
That one offensive foul with Embiid jumping into Cam J was also called horribly by their broadcast. It’s a new rule, learn it and appreciate how the league is putting a stop to these stupid non basketball plays. 1. If the rule were still there CP3 would be getting 3 a game. 2. A big 7’2 guy like Embiid bumping into someone while at full speed and taking a tumble to goad a foul is shameful and probably shouldn’t be encouraged given how injury prone he is.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I am thrilled with the win but this game felt like the 76ers lost it rather than us winning it.

CP3 had a pretty bad game by his standards, lots of uncharacteristic turnovers including several passes that got tipped back to Suns players. The lob chemistry seems missing the last couple of games and CP3 and the bigs need to work that out if we are to face defenders like AD and Giannis in meaningful playoff games. He does seem to be going to the basket more the last 10-12 games tho.

Mikal is far more aggressive the last five or so games and that’s been awesome, but it seems to coincide with poor shooting nights from Cam J which is disappointing. Cam is still a fundamentally solid player who is great on both sides of the ball and I love seeing him play D.

Payton seems to be getting a bit more confidence in his runner which is something he can hang his hat on. I legitimately thought that the Bulls played terrible defense against him but this game he played very well in his limited minutes and really gave CP3 a breather for a couple of possessions when both of them were on the court.

Thybulle is pretty special. It’s too bad his offense is still such a work in progress. Maxey has had better games and Curry was completely invisible this game.

I know that Embiid is a massive talent but I don’t enjoy watching him play. Falls down way too often for being the biggest guy on the court. Can’t imagine Shaq doing the same.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:52 am
ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:15 am
specialsauce wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
They haven’t just “ticked up.”

He’s 8th in the entire league in minutes played.

Mikal is 3rd.
The Lakers have deployed a form of load management since Lebron has been there. Brooklyn did a lot of it last year. Kawhi and the teams he's played for as well. Yet come playoffs, those squads always have a star player or two banged up or out for the playoffs. It happens with plenty of teams that rest their star players. You can't predict or prevent injury. CP3 picks his spots to exert his energy.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:16 pm
You know what absolutely blows my mind...how does Deandre play 30 minutes...and have 0 free throws...not even one...as a statistic that blows my mind...
He only took 3 shots at the rim all night.
Last edited by Indy on Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:10 am
He's played a lot of minutes because he hasn't missed games like others. I know that doesn't exactly help the argument, but his averages are still in line. He was playing about 31mpg three weeks ago, now he's around 37 because we're missing Payne and Shamet. Mikal's always played heavier minutes. He's a younger player who has the legs - he's our Shawn Marion ironman.

And for me, it's about how "hard" those minutes are. CP plays at about half speed until the 4th. He's worked harder this last stretch of games, but he's not out there killing himself each night to scratch out some wins.
He is playing with the lowest USG% of his entire career, and it isn't close. Of our main top 8 guys, Paul is 5th in Usage. He is doing a fantastic job of being in the game but just kind of being there.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:23 am
He is playing with the lowest USG% of his entire career, and it isn't close. Of our main top 8 guys, Paul is 5th in Usage. He is doing a fantastic job of being in the game but just kind of being there.
Do they have stats on that per half or quarter? I'm convinced that CP3 defers a lot more in the 1st half and then turns it on starting in the 3rd quarter.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:38 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:23 am
Do they have stats on that per half or quarter? I'm convinced that CP3 defers a lot more in the 1st half and then turns it on starting in the 3rd quarter.
Good question. I don't see it readily available. But it would match our eye test. Either way it is still less of a load than he has ever had. He has never been a guy to dominate the ball. His highest usage ever was 27.5 in NO, then came close again in LA at 27.1. Just for comparison, Curry has 9 years above 28 and 7 above 30. Book is at 32.2 this year and only has 1 season below Paul's max (his rookie year).

Paul said it best in that JJ podcast. paraphrasing here, but "Why do you expect me to change when I turned 35? Because you did?"

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:52 am
But he doesn't average that on the season. Not a fair comparison.

Over that same stretch, Harden and Kyrie are over 37 mpg. Nobody is saying they need to cut back. Same with DeRozan. And a dozen other guys. It isn't ideal, and I do hope they make a move to shore up the backcourt and big wing positions. I am thinking they will wait for the buyout market, though.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:58 am
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:52 am
But he doesn't average that on the season. Not a fair comparison.

Over that same stretch, Harden and Kyrie are over 37 mpg. Nobody is saying they need to cut back. Same with DeRozan. And a dozen other guys. It isn't ideal, and I do hope they make a move to shore up the backcourt and big wing positions. I am thinking they will wait for the buyout market, though.
They aren’t 35+ years old. With a history of soft tissue injuries at the end of the season. Apples to oranges, Indiana.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He's in better shape than Kyrie and Harden. And again, we're not playing him 37mpg the entire season. This knee jerk reaction to a 2 week stretch is kinda ridiculous.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:34 am
He's in better shape than Kyrie and Harden. And again, we're not playing him 37mpg the entire season. This knee jerk reaction to a 2 week stretch is kinda ridiculous.
thank you