Game Day: Bucks (35-21) @ Suns (44-10), Thurs 2/10/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Game Day: Bucks (35-21) @ Suns (44-10), Thurs 2/10/22

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:55 am
I’m still worried about a potential matchup. Ya we smoked them tonight, but Giannis really only forced the issue for a few minutes and we didn’t exactly stop him. When he wanted to he got to the rim and scored or drew fouls. If last night was an indication of how he’d be reffed in a finals rematch, we’ve still got work to do.
And it was their last game of a west coast road trip, their 4th game in 6 nights, and they already won their previous 3... and they beat us 4 straight to win their ring. We wanted it way more, and had more to lose.

But I am very glad we showed up the way we did.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:05 am
It was a fun game with the exception of the refs, Book playing very poorly by his standards, and the 3 pt shooting in the first half being bad. I still don't understand how Giannis can lower his shoulder, run into someone that is in good guarding position and straight up and down, then knee them and still get a foul call.

The Bucks really missed Brook Lopez and the Ibaka trade is going to help them out. It's tough for them that Connaughton broke hand though.
Yeah, those foul calls were ridiculous. That's just not fair. The later one where Giannis just rammed his elbow into a perfectly defensively positioned Ayton was absolutely ridiculous and just plain unfair. You can't even get in front of him? Are we supposed to just move out of his way and let him have a free dunk every time? Because otherwise, there is no way to defend him if those are fouls.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

iLLmatic wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:14 am
Lots of annoying Buck fans at the game last night too.
I'm sure they got pretty quiet at the end of the first half and most of the 2nd.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

iLLmatic wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:15 am
If we meet the bucks again in the finals we have the ability to match the size this time.
We went from smaller than them to bigger than them. I think they got Ibaka just to try and contend with our size.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
I’m still worried about a potential matchup. Ya we smoked them tonight, but Giannis really only forced the issue for a few minutes and we didn’t exactly stop him. When he wanted to he got to the rim and scored or drew fouls. If last night was an indication of how he’d be reffed in a finals rematch, we’ve still got work to do.
If that's the example then it is an impossible task to stop him. We're basically just not allowed to defend him.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yea agreed above
Can't get too happy on the farm about last night

We all know that wasn't the Bucks best and Re: the Giannis factor
Don't think anyone posted this but just a wild stat. I haven't watched over the Finals, don't know if or when I will but even remembering some of the calls he got seeing this tweet just now game me a headache again. 14FTs per game :? :roll:

Can't change the past but like others are saying, no evidence that he would be reffed any different going forward.

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:02 am
Split T wrote:
And it was their last game of a west coast road trip, their 4th game in 6 nights, and they already won their previous 3... and they beat us 4 straight to win their ring. We wanted it way more, and had more to lose.

I agree that to be on a championship path, it's dangerous to be too satisfied, e.g. "get happy on the farm..."

But I liked what the Suns did against Giannis.
He was frustrated, even getting a T after barking at the refs.
He had 18 points after burning All World (ha, ha) Anthony Davis for 44.
And it wasn't a back-to-back for the Bucks.
(Remember the Suns beat the Bulls and the 76ers earlier in the week on back-to-back. Not gonna shed any tears for the Bucks.)

The Suns essentially had 18 fouls to give against Giannis, with defenders of varying looks.
Ayton is quick and agile, McGee is longer than an Alaskan winter, and Biyombo active and strong.
That's solid arsenal for paint ownership.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Also was pleased with Payton's improving play.
He's not great, but he's contributing and making a bit of a difference.
...and he's cut his TOs.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

LazarusLong wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:07 pm
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:

I agree that to be on a championship path, it's dangerous to be too satisfied, e.g. "get happy on the farm..."

But I liked what the Suns did against Giannis.
He was frustrated, even getting a T after barking at the refs.
He had 18 points after burning All World (ha, ha) Anthony Davis for 44.
And it wasn't a back-to-back for the Bucks.
(Remember the Suns beat the Bulls and the 76ers earlier in the week on back-to-back. Not gonna shed any tears for the Bucks.)

The Suns essentially had 18 fouls to give against Giannis, with defenders of varying looks.
Ayton is quick and agile, McGee is longer than an Alaskan winter, and Biyombo active and strong.
That's solid arsenal for paint ownership.
I LOVE our big man rotation. Holy shit. Never in my life did I think I'd watch a Suns team with not only 1 great center but 2 exceptionally good back-ups paired up behind him.

Awesome avatar Laz!
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

LazarusLong wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:09 pm
...and he's cut his TOs.
They were intentionally fouling him at one point because his free throw shooting is atrocious for an NBA PG. I've seen improvement in his game but that was embarrassing.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

This might have been mentioned earlier and I'm forgetting but yea
They actually did a good job :oops:

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:11 pm
LazarusLong wrote:
...and he's cut his TOs.
They were intentionally fouling him at one point because his free throw shooting is atrocious for an NBA PG. I've seen improvement in his game but that was embarrassing.
That's why I qualified my faint praise ;) :lol:

As for the avatar, I figured it was a propitious time for an upgrade... 8-)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:27 am
iLLmatic wrote:
If we meet the bucks again in the finals we have the ability to match the size this time.
We went from smaller than them to bigger than them. I think they got Ibaka just to try and contend with our size.
They are playing without Brook Lopez, who was huge for them (literally & figuratively). I think Ibaka was the best they could due to try and back him up.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

LazarusLong wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:39 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:
...and he's cut his TOs.

In addition to that play being an alternate-universe version of the one that took place in the finals, there was a play where Chris Paul stripped a player on a hard trap and tossed the ball out for a fast break that looked eerily similar to the Jrue Holiday strip of Booker (which still haunts me).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:39 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:
...and he's cut his TOs.

LL dropping new words on us! Brand new for me.

giving or indicating a good chance of success; favorable.
"Be Legendary."

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:26 am
iLLmatic wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:14 am
Lots of annoying Buck fans at the game last night too.
I'm sure they got pretty quiet at the end of the first half and most of the 2nd.
A couple in front of us left midway through the 4th. I yelled as they left that I'm sure there won't be much traffic.

Son and father behind me was heckling through the first half but pretty much sat there with nothing else to say in the second half.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:

They were noticeably gassed in the 3rd quarter. Both teams started slow shooting the ball in the second half, but the Bucks couldn't keep up when the Suns found their groove.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Love those end game McCoy interviews, Shel! Keep 'em coming.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:51 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:27 am
iLLmatic wrote:
They are playing without Brook Lopez, who was huge for them (literally & figuratively). I think Ibaka was the best they could due to try and back him up.
I'm not scared of 2022 Serge Ibaka. He's averaging around 6 ppg and 4 rpg. Decent player in his day but won't be a difference-maker in a playoff series against us. I do wonder if depth will start to be an issue for them.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think it depends on if Brook can recover from that back surgery and get back to where he was last year.