Around the League: Week 19 (2/21 to 2/27)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Week 19 (2/21 to 2/27)

Post by Split T »

Do we need to change the rookie scale and restricted free agency process? I feel for New Orleans here as they really haven’t even been given a chance, but players are now showing they’ll force their way out at any point. Are we doing it wrong by giving teams 8-9 years of control? Sure there are ways out for players, but it’s very financially risky.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't have much sympathy for the owners when most of them prioritize financial growth over anything else.

Eliminating the draft altogether might be the best solution, but that's ironically not the American thing to do.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Funny enough I think the nba could take something from the nfl. Keep the 4 year rookie scale(though I’d be in favor of bumping the later years salary for reaching certain achievements), but do away with restricted free agency. Allow the team to use a franchise tag(make salary be rookie extension max for 1 year) or transition tag(maybe half the max for 1 year). Can only use the tag once and another team can steal the player away if they match the salary and offer up compensation(1st rd pick for a franchise tag or 2nd round pick for a transition tag). So teams are only guaranteed 4 years on draft picks.

I’m all for making teams have to be more competent to keep their players. I’d also look at alternatives to the draft. Maybe teams are allotted certain salary amounts to sign incoming rookies, with the worse teams getting more money.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:06 pm
Funny enough I think the nba could take something from the nfl. Keep the 4 year rookie scale(though I’d be in favor of bumping the later years salary for reaching certain achievements), but do away with restricted free agency. Allow the team to use a franchise tag(make salary be rookie extension max for 1 year) or transition tag(maybe half the max for 1 year). Can only use the tag once and another team can steal the player away if they match the salary and offer up compensation(1st rd pick for a franchise tag or 2nd round pick for a transition tag). So teams are only guaranteed 4 years on draft picks.

I’m all for making teams have to be more competent to keep their players. I’d also look at alternatives to the draft. Maybe teams are allotted certain salary amounts to sign incoming rookies, with the worse teams getting more money.
Why would the players agree to any of these limitations on their unrestricted free agency?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:42 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:06 pm

Why would the players agree to any of these limitations on their unrestricted free agency?
What limitations? It gets rid of restricted free agency. In my model, Ayton could go sign a rookie max with Detroit if they’re willing to give up a pick. Nothing would change for guys not coming off rookie deals.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Excuse me, I meant restricted FA. I'm sure the players are quite happy with the system as is - generally RFAs are being signed to big money contracts (look at the ridiculous contract Michael Porter Jr got).
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:18 pm
Excuse me, I meant restricted FA. I'm sure the players are quite happy with the system as is - generally RFAs are being signed to big money contracts (look at the ridiculous contract Michael Porter Jr got).
Well this doesn’t change anything, they are perfectly eligible to sign those contracts still. This just gives the players a viable alternative to re-signing with the team that drafted them.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:47 pm
I don't have much sympathy for the owners when most of them prioritize financial growth over anything else.

Eliminating the draft altogether might be the best solution, but that's ironically not the American thing to do.
Eliminating the draft would be a disaster. The best players would just go to the biggest markets. Namely LA. The league would fall apart and be even more large market dominant.

Split T

Post by Split T »

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:27 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Eliminating the draft would be a disaster. The best players would just go to the biggest markets. Namely LA. The league would fall apart and be even more large market dominant.
It depends on how you replace the draft…if say you just give teams money to spend based on record and LA can only spend 3 million while Detroit can spend 10 million, would a top prospect take 3 over 10? I don’t think many would. Of course the non basketball endorsement stuff would play a role as well.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:27 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Not with a proper hard salary cap, and I don't think many of the top rookies would try to join teams just to sit behind stars.

Most importantly, it would put the players on the hook for fulfilling contract obligations more than they are now. This version of "Player Empowerment" we have now lets them have their cake and eat it too.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

A Mess

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I feel like he's going to end up in NY as the the Knicks FO is trying to reunite RJ, Reddish and Zion. Not sure how they make it happen, but that'll be the next big thing that doesn't work out for the Knicks.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:08 am
I feel like he's going to end up in NY as the the Knicks FO is trying to reunite RJ, Reddish and Zion. Not sure how they make it happen, but that'll be the next big thing that doesn't work out for the Knicks.
lol. truer words have never been spoken.

Split T

Post by Split T »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:18 am
ShelC wrote:
Where is Thibs in all this lol

Indy

Post by Indy »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:15 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:18 am
ShelC wrote:
Where is Thibs in all this lol
Collecting millions to not coach the Knicks. Like every other Knicks coach for like half of their contract.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Zion Williamson ripped by former New Orleans Pelicans teammate JJ Redick for not being a better teammate
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/333 ... r-teammate

At this point, is it still even a debate around here about whether you'd rather have Zion or Ayton? I couldn't believe the argument then, when he was always hurt and fat as hell to now, with all of this coming out.

Anyone here still care to argue in favor of Zion? I remember having debates all the time about Porziņģis as well and his durability. Look how that's played out.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Shot Doc Korver. :) :twisted:

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

$80m/4yr? That's Oubre money!