Game Day: Knicks (25-37) @ Suns (50-12), Fri 3/4/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Game Day: Knicks (25-37) @ Suns (50-12), Fri 3/4/22

Post by Indy »

TOO wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:37 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:22 pm
TOO wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:46 am
Incredible win, great resilience. Shamet has been crap, never liked the acquisition, hoping he Cam Paynes his way into our hearts. Ayton, sigh, he's a goner in the off-season, no doubt in my mind, you don't need big money invested at the 5, you need wings and guards.
It's obvious now that it's others like Chris Paul who elevate Ayton's game. He's not a superstar max player like Donic and Young. He just isn't. He's a complementary player that needs to be pushed. Do you just automatically max a guy like that just because he went first in the draft and has elevated skills for his size?
A smart basketball guy will not max him based on draft position, i feel like Jones is a smart basketball guy, so we will see. Having said that, he's also the same guy who passed on a Haliburton for Stix who got moved for a back up wing, soooo...

I just really think Ayton is gone if its strictly a basketball decision, but IDK if it will be. The guys seem to love him.
The more and more that comes out, we didn't pass on him. He passed on us.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Perhaps, but Haliburton said specifically he only asked two teams not to draft him: Atlanta and Washington. I know Monty said we couldn’t get him in the draft, but that seems a little vague.

I could see a scenario where Tyrese told his agent, definitely no on Washington and Atlanta and had some iffy locations(including us) we got wind that he would let us draft him but wasn’t thrilled about it(he’d have Booker and Paul ahead of him) and said no thanks, we want players that are fully committed to being here.

I’d be curious if Bane was close to being the pick.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:36 am
Perhaps, but Haliburton said specifically he only asked two teams not to draft him: Atlanta and Washington. I know Monty said we couldn’t get him in the draft, but that seems a little vague.

I could see a scenario where Tyrese told his agent, definitely no on Washington and Atlanta and had some iffy locations(including us) we got wind that he would let us draft him but wasn’t thrilled about it(he’d have Booker and Paul ahead of him) and said no thanks, we want players that are fully committed to being here.

I’d be curious if Bane was close to being the pick.
There was also some talk on twitter recently where he liked a tweet that said he could have gone to a team like Phoenix that would have been perfect but he specifically worked to get to Sacramento and they shipped him out.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya it’s clear he pulled some shenanigans…just unsure whether he specifically told us no or we just saw the shenanigans and said we’re not gonna get involved in this…feel like the latter seems very on brand for James Jones

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think it’s fair to say we blew that draft even if Haliburton threatened to hold out. There were plenty of other guys who would have been better options than Stix - like Vassel, Bey, Bane or Maxey.

Even this past draft, would you rather have Herb Jones/Ayo Dosunmu on rookie-contracts or Landry at his current deal? In fairness to JJ, I think Monty pushed that transaction.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

And for those who ask “we’re in first, why complain about anything?” It’s because we’re facing some potentially rough choices this summer and next and having productive players on rookie contracts would make those choices a lot more palatable.

I’m thrilled about where we are this year. I’m also going to be a Suns fan in 2024 and want the best possible team that year too.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Of course, we always want perfection at all times and no team achieves that. But on the other hand, many of those guys were .net favorites, so it hurts that they got past Jones for whatever reasons.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:48 pm
I think it’s fair to say we blew that draft even if Haliburton threatened to hold out. There were plenty of other guys who would have been better options than Stix - like Vassel, Bey, Bane or Maxey.

Even this past draft, would you rather have Herb Jones/Ayo Dosunmu on rookie-contracts or Landry at his current deal? In fairness to JJ, I think Monty pushed that transaction.
Yeah, I agree we blew it. I wasn't trying to say we didn't. It just likely isn't because we chose to pass on Haliburton.

But you also have to wonder why the Kings traded him... I know there is always the completely relevant answer of "kInGs GoNnA bE kInGs!" but there might be more smoke there.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think they traded him because they had to pick Fox or Haliburton and Fox was untradeable because of the contract.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:16 pm
I think they traded him because they had to pick Fox or Haliburton and Fox was untradeable because of the contract.
Nobody is untradeable. But I get what you are saying.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:52 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:16 pm
Nobody is untradeable. But I get what you are saying.
I think they wanted Sabonis and Indy said no way for Fox…they may have had offers for Fox, but it would have been garbage deals like the guys in that KP for Dinwiddie/Bertans swap. They needed to break the two up and Haliburton actually got them something they wanted. Fox wouldn’t have.