Game Day: Suns (52-13) @ Heat (44-22), Wed 3/9/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Game Day: Suns (52-13) @ Heat (44-22), Wed 3/9/22

Post by carey »

Didn't get to see the game. Our Cs only drew two fouls?

I love beating the Heat. Their fanbase are among the most cocky and annoying imho. The whole "Heat culture" thing aggravates me. I think they believe they can turn anyone into a serviceable player.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:32 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:26 pm
Wish this game wasn't a SEGABABA. I want to see how we would fare against Miami at closer to full strength. They'll be extremely tough, even with Booker back. I may eat these words, but having him back may or may not really help us, given that his high usage rate and being rusty might actually make it more beneficial to have the ball in the hands of Payne or others. But of course I'm delighted to have him back. Go Suns!
You just loooooove pulling that out, don't you?

And I hope you eat your words!
Glad you’re eating your words, Marty, and that we won in spite of the SEGABABA against the best in the East.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That was such a big blowout that Elfrid even got to play. Holiday was pretty solid. He’s starting to cut down on his passing turnovers and has clearly surpassed Payton as a bu. Payne has been doing a wonderful job in Pauls absence. Having to watch the Suns without Paul or Payne was a little difficult to watch. Getting Payne back really showed his value.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

carey wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:52 pm

I love beating the Heat. Their fanbase are among the most cocky and annoying imho. The whole "Heat culture" thing aggravates me. I think they believe they can turn anyone into a serviceable player.
They kind of back that up, more than any other team, IMO. It’s super impressive.
Last edited by Shabazz on Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:32 am
carey wrote:

The kind of back that up, more than any other team, IMO. It’s super impressive.
It's overblown and NBA media loves to lean on it for content.

They do a good job of developing players and a culture that holds them responsible for being a professional athlete.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Also to give them their due, I had the Heat broadcast team on my feed and they were largely pretty even handed and were complimentary of the Suns (acknowledging the key players out etc).
I know is a different thing but I found it interesting (was expecting to find them intolerable)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I missed a lot of this one, especially the third quarter. After watching a replay, my three favorite plays in this game in any order:

Booker's block on Adebayo at the rim.
Ayton's offensive rebound and bounce pass assist.
McGee's one-legged Dirk fadeaway from the elbow.

Really just another night for some motherf*#king dawgs who're also the best basketball team in the world right now.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Really good win against a really good team on the road and some payback from earlier in the season. Felt like it took the 1st qtr to get our legs and adjust a bit defensively but once we did, the Heat were just overmatched. DA was noticeably impactful tonight on both ends. He was vocal, fighting on the boards, aggressive around the rim. He seemed to take on the leadership role tonight and backed the words up with his play. Really great to see that kind of development.

Book looked great and slipped right back into the lineup. His presence and steadiness was noticeable on the court; like night and day from the Magic game.

The Suns turned on the defense and never looked back. Our offense was rolling and we were aggressive going at defenders, but it was the defense that locked in and never let their guys get into a rhythm after that 1st qtr.

I'm hoping Payne's ankle is OK. Looked like a bad roll, thought it could've been a flagrant. He played through it but next you know, he'll miss a month.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Man, I can hardly believe that we have clinched a playoff spot on March 9. What a team.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:32 am
carey wrote:

The kind of back that up, more than any other team, IMO. It’s super impressive.
Agreed. How many 2nd round and undrafted players do they have helping them to the best record in the east? And it isn't like that is a fluke for them.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:27 pm
Have we beaten every team in the league now this season?
dragickingdom wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:30 pm
Yes, the Heat were the last one.
To expand on that a little more: The Suns are the only team in the league right now (and in fact, the only team in at least the last two seasons) to accomplish this. Golden State and Memphis are still in the running to achieve the same feat, but both have a few hurdles to get over in order to finish it off. Specifically:

Golden State: Must beat - Denver (away, 3/10), Milwaukee (home, 3/12), and Washington (one of 2, home 3/14 or away 3/27).

Memphis: Must beat - Atlanta (away 3/18), Indiana (one of 2, away 3/15 or home 3/24), Milwaukee (home 3/26), and Boston (home 4/10).

Both teams have an Eastern opponent that they have not yet played, so they only need to win one of those two games. I'd say Golden State has slightly the harder road, having to win at Denver and back home against the defending champs within the next couple of days. Memphis' hardest games, Milwaukee and Boston, are both at home.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:52 am
I missed a lot of this one, especially the third quarter. After watching a replay, my three favorite plays in this game in any order:

Really just another night for some motherf*#king dawgs who're also the best basketball team in the world right now.
Is this a dream? Remember all those long-suffering years after 2010? Wow, it was all almost worth it now.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And FF, does Holiday's step back three count? It was against the best in the East so I'd guess yeah according to your rules.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Well that was impressive by The Fellas
I stay being concerned about Book and minutes probably unnecessarily at this point lol :oops:
Dude is a machine man

I was waiting to her if he had anything to say about Herro because those two are always linked. He gave him his props but during the game he was extra physical with him and lots of chirping too which is basically respect

Lot of Jordan-Kobe vibes there, I know you look up to me and I see you doing your thing but lemme remind you "and your fans" that there's levels to this 8-)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:52 am

I almost forgot about that Booker block. It came out of nowhere. Booker, blocking their center! Amazing. His defense has been really improving.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In his last 6 games Booker has 17 steals and 7 blocks. He doesn’t get a lot of credit for his improved defense because defense doesn’t usually show up in the box score, but he’s now adding the box score defense on top of his actual improved defense. He’s obviously not going to keep up a 4.0 per game average of blocks/steals, but if he turns into a 1.5 steals per game guy and say .5 blocks, people will really start to notice. Not to mention it will boost his advanced metrics that only know how to rate defense that shows up in the box score.

One thing I’ll add, if Booker keeps playing like last night and the suns get to 62-65 wins while staying 7-8 games ahead of everyone, Booker is going to get some mvp votes and for sure be all-nba, and I don’t mean 3rd team.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

We ARE breaking our all-time regular season win record. My guess is 66.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

We needed to go 15-9 without CP3 to do it, which is 5-3 over every 8 game stretch, which is exactly what we’ve done since he’s been out. 10-6 the rest of the way will do it. I think we get it, but I think it’s more 63 or 64.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:10 pm
We needed to go 15-9 without CP3 to do it, which is 5-3 over every 8 game stretch, which is exactly what we’ve done since he’s been out. 10-6 the rest of the way will do it. I think we get it, but I think it’s more 63 or 64.
Yeah, I didn't come to my number logically by breaking it down. Just the number that popped into my head. We'd have to go 13-3 the rest of the way to get to 66 which would be tough. So, you're probably right. I hope we at least break it at 63.
"Be Legendary."