Game Day: Suns (58-14) @ Timberwolves (42-31), Wed 3/23/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Game Day: Suns (58-14) @ Timberwolves (42-31), Wed 3/23/22

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I was expecting to be more impressed with Ayton's game based on the numbers. Or I guess I was just expecting more of an outburst. All he really did was take a career high 24FGA, and I don't see why he shouldn't be averaging 20FGA. A great game from him, but he could've had 6-8 more points without some of the bunnies he missed. Really good game defensively, as usual.

The Wolves were the ones who disappeared in this game. Edwards doesn't seem right physically, and someone needs to check Russell for a pulse. I was smiling every time the Suns baited Pat Beverley into taking a 3-pointer in the second half. It's gotta be on those other guys who're way more talented and paid a lot more to better challenge the Suns defense. Maybe part of it is coaching too, but that's also what teams bargain for with Beverley.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

The win was nice, but I’m happiest about the fact Pat Bev didn’t injure any of our guys. Because god knows he tried.

Some of you are getting on Ayton about the bunnies, but my only gripe with this game was with Crowder. If you’re going to hit Pat Bev. Hit harder damnit.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

And Ayton did shoot 15/24 for the game (62.5%)

He basically kept them in the game in the first half.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

It’s interesting to see what the opponent’s hometown media writes about Suns’ games.
This is from the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

“For better or worse, the Wolves would wear their emotions on their sleeves, if their jerseys had any. They will chirp at opponents and officials, and there was plenty of that on a night that featured six technical and two flagrant fouls.
But when you dish it out, sometimes you have to take it, too, and the Western Conference champions, even without Chris Paul, taught the Wolves a lesson in what it's like to play playoff-caliber basketball…
One team was able to set aside its issues with the officiating, and Phoenix's thorough demolition of the Wolves in the fourth made it a non-issue in the final result.”

https://www.startribune.com/timberwolve ... fresh=true
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I fucking love this team. It is my favorite Suns team ever.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:22 am
Same. Living in Salt Lake City, it's fun to be a Suns fan right now. For some reason, Jazz fans are so bitter towards the Suns. And if you really want to get into an argument, just give an inkling that you think Booker is better than Mitchell. No one's ever going to be able to convince me of that!

Indy

Post by Indy »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:38 am
Indy wrote:
Same. Living in Salt Lake City, it's fun to be a Suns fan right now. For some reason, Jazz fans are so bitter towards the Suns. And if you really want to get into an argument, just give an inkling that you think Booker is better than Mitchell. No one's ever going to be able to convince me of that!
I see that all over Twitter, too.

Honestly, who cares who you think is better? Like if you like Mitchell better, great. If you think Book is better, great! Seems like a weird thing to get upset about.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:44 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
Indy wrote:

Honestly, who cares who you think is better? Like if you like Mitchell better, great. If you think Book is better, great! Seems like a weird thing to get upset about.
One player is in the same conversation with Lebron James, Kevin Durant and Kobe Bryant. That should help your argument.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Bookers better than Mitchell.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:47 am
Indy wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:
Indy wrote:

One player is in the same conversation with Lebron James, Kevin Durant and Kobe Bryant. That should help your argument.
Just based on the age, though. Mitchell averages more points per game over his career than Book.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:49 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:
Indy wrote:

Just based on the age, though. Mitchell averages more points per game over his career than Book.
One has played in the NBA Finals.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:55 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:49 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:

One has played in the NBA Finals.
OK, but he also lost twice as many games over his career. My point is, it doesn't matter, and they are a lot closer than Suns fans or Jazz fans realize. Ask really smart people around the league and they are likely both in the same tier as top non-point guards.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Great win against a surprisingly spry and cocky Wolves team. One general worry I have is that our bench didn't give us much, outside of Shamet who had a really nice game with 19 points. That will probably be better when CP3 comes back and then all of Payne's points will be bench points.

Obviously the big star here was Ayton with the career high. Happy for the big fella. He just seems to get amped up for certain matchups more than others. I guess he wanted to show KAT what he could do. I wish he were able to give that kind of effort every single night. As others have pointed out, part of it is getting him more shots. He should probably be shooting more almost every game. Once he gets within a few feet of the basket he scores almost 100% of the time with his soft touches and those great hook shots of his.

I loved the attitude Book showed. Feels like he is ready for some battles in the playoffs. I hope CP3 comes back soon and nice n' rested.

I fucking hate Patrick Beverley so much. He had to dive-bomb Book one more time, didn't he? The guy always finds a way to "accidentally" crash into some important player. I rarely wish actual ill on a player, but I think Bev legitimately deserves to suffer a bad injury or be kicked out of the league for his bullshit.

Wolves are on a nice little run here late in the season, but I am not even remotely scared of them. I still think they're an easy first-round out in the playoffs for whomever they end up matched up with.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Check out 25:25 if you want to see Bev trip up Book and 26:15 for Vanderbilt tripping Payne under the basket after Payne blocks his shot out of bounds.

https://nbafullhd.com/69093-2/

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:11 am
Check out 25:25 if you want to see Bev trip up Book and 26:15 for Vanderbilt tripping Payne under the basket after Payne blocks his shot out of bounds.

https://nbafullhd.com/69093-2/
How do the refs miss that stuff?! They should know to watch for his dirty tricks.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:
Indy wrote:

It’s one thing to think Mitchell is better, I actually have no problem with that as there is an argument there. But jazz fans act like it’s laughable suns fans think it’s close. Take any team, in any sport, I haven’t found fans that are more biased towards their own team than Jazz fans are.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:55 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:35 pm
ShadowHawke wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:33 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:25 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:21 pm
An absolute monster performance from Ayton. Hopefully we can chill the Ayton is trash/not worth the max/ let’s trade him talk after the game. ;)
Guy is still inconsistent but less so every year.
Too bad we can't pay him based on his per game performance.
I would pay him, and note that he is doing this without CP3. That little turnaround hook makes him into a go to guy.
How about that? When CP3 first went on the IL, it seemed like Ayton lost his effectiveness. But he figured it out. Proud of the big fella.
Makes it easier to throw the max at him for sure if he is not dependent on CP3

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ayton is certainly doing just about everything he can to provide max value while not being able to be a primary initiator.

Defends the rim, plays very good post defense, can switch onto the perimeter and not get torched. He rebounds, he’s got incredible touch around the rim, he destroys switches now. Last night showed he can hurt you when you trap our guards. He even flashes that top of the arc 3 point shot.

Per-36 he’s 21/12 on a .668 TS%. I think we’ll always want him to be more aggressive drawing fouls or attacking off the dribble, but he’s just so so good at what he does do. I love that he rarely hesitates anymore. When he gets the ball in position, he goes up quick and his touch is elite.

I’ll never want us to force feed him, but I think we can run more stuff with getting Ayton the ball in mind. Outside of maybe a Cam Johnson corner 3 or a wide open lay-up, I doubt there’s a more efficient shot than an Ayton paint shot in our offense.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That was some game. Ya, the refs lost control. Minny really wanted that win. They were already beaten by the Suns twice and were at home and on a major winning streak and feeling good about themselves and their chances. Once again the Suns dismantled another team in the fourth quarter and sucked the life out of them. The wolves came out ferocious and by the fourth quarter were little lost puppies.

Anyone know what happened early? The Suns had 25 points. I think it was Booker who then got fouled and went to the line. He made the first free throw and the score stayed 25. He missed the second free throw and then the score went to 24. I’m like, how does that work?

This team is so bad ass.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I have loved seeing Ayton play with aggression as of late. Feel like what is expected of him as a whole is finally clicking with him. Also love seeing the Wolves coming all hyped and jawing with the Suns players only to be pretty much blown out in the 4th quarter. Had to watch the Wolves feed. The announcers were pretty cocky as well. Also, fuck Pat Bev and also the ref who addressed him as Pat Bev to the scoreres tables when he got the T.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."