Around the League: Week 26 (4/11 - 4/17)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 26 (4/11 - 4/17)

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:11 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:51 am
Anyone who thinks Smart should be DPOY over Bridges literally does not watch enough games.
Have you watched Smart play? I’d love to be able to say this, but I’ve honestly barely watched Smart play this year. 90% of the basketball I watched this year was Suns games.
Yeah, but we just know. :P
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

There are plenty of people that watch a LOT of basketball, including people high on the Suns, that think Smart should win it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:17 am
There are plenty of people that watch a LOT of basketball, including people high on the Suns, that think Smart should win it.
Maybe they aren't as Smart as they think they are. Ever think about that?! Huh?!
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya the feeling I get is they play similar roles for both teams defensively, but smart is a little more versatile in that he is a stronger player. He can legitimately body 5s and hold his own. Boston also had a better defense than us, so can’t use that argument. He’s also the only other DPOY candidate that’s minutes weren’t dwarfed by Mikal…though he’s still 500 behind him.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Split T wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:
Anyone who thinks Smart should be DPOY over Bridges literally does not watch enough games.
Have you watched Smart play? I’d love to be able to say this, but I’ve honestly barely watched Smart play this year. 90% of the basketball I watched this year was Suns games.
I feel like I've watched a lot of Celtics games this year, and I'm not saying that Smart isn't a really good defensive player. I think he's a great defensive player who is very good at pressuring the ball and keeping his man disengaged from the offense. But he's no where near as disruptive as Mikal. I don't think Smart is nearly the help defender that Mikal is. I feel like Mikal is everywhere on the defensive end, whereas Smart is really good at taking his man out of the offensive side of things for the most part, but isn't going to get you much weak side help, like Mikal does, or play the passing lanes, like Mikal does.

Smart is a great defender, I just think Mikal is better because he's more impactful on that side of the ball.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:58 am
Split T wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:
I feel like I've watched a lot of Celtics games this year, and I'm not saying that Smart isn't a really good defensive player. I think he's a great defensive player who is very good at pressuring the ball and keeping his man disengaged from the offense. But he's no where near as disruptive as Mikal. I don't think Smart is nearly the help defender that Mikal is. I feel like Mikal is everywhere on the defensive end, whereas Smart is really good at taking his man out of the offensive side of things for the most part, but isn't going to get you much weak side help, like Mikal does, or play the passing lanes, like Mikal does.

Smart is a great defender, I just think Mikal is better because he's more impactful on that side of the ball.
Smart is a very good defender, but where his value is diminished is that the Celtics have 3 other really good individual defenders in The Timelord, Tatum and Jaylen Brown. IMO, without Williams, their defense is going to be impacted, and specifically it's going to impact Smart's defense the most, as Smart counts on that backend help of Williams to erase mistakes when he is over aggressive or gambles when he shouldn't.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

The suns other defenders may not be quite as good, but I think Crowder, Ayton, Paul, and Booker are all fantastic too.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Yeah. Not sure it’s that much of a no-brainer. Smart’s pretty incredible on that end and Boston had a better D rating than us.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:22 am
Ya the feeling I get is they play similar roles for both teams defensively, but smart is a little more versatile in that he is a stronger player. He can legitimately body 5s and hold his own. Boston also had a better defense than us, so can’t use that argument. He’s also the only other DPOY candidate that’s minutes weren’t dwarfed by Mikal…though he’s still 500 behind him.
Smart is a much more physical defender, I'll give him that. Bridges tries to defend without fouling/touching the offensive player while Smart bodies him up. But it doesn't seem like referees will give any Suns player equal treatment in that regard. Smart is allowed to get away with it while Mikal probably can't. The foul call discrepancies for us are getting ridiculous. I really don't think we foul significantly more than our opponents like the refs seem to think.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:51 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:22 am
Smart is a much more physical defender, I'll give him that. Bridges tries to defend without fouling/touching the offensive player while Smart bodies him up. But it doesn't seem like referees will give any Suns player equal treatment in that regard. Smart is allowed to get away with it while Mikal probably can't. The foul call discrepancies for us are getting ridiculous. I really don't think we foul significantly more than our opponents like the refs seem to think.
I know it doesn't feel this way to me when I watch, but for the season, the difference in fouls called on us vs our opponents is -1.0 (we get called for 19.9 PFs/game and our opponents gets called for 18.9 PFs/game).

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

😂🤣

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow, that Luka injury. On the last game of the season, too. It may end up helping the Suns, but you never root/cheer for a guy to get hurt. That may be a big enough blow to the Mavs that we end up facing the Jazz in the 2nd round. I was actually going to "zag" and pick the Jazz to win that series anyway, but now I'm picking them for sure.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Would not have gotten this trivia question right

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LeBron James would be 'very enthused' at the possibility of the Lakers hiring Mark Jackson as head coach, per @sam_amick

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

There are some Twitter threads going around that detail what a disaster Mark Jackson is. Suffice it to say, he’d be a great hire for the Lakers.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:07 am
you never root/cheer for a guy to get hurt.
I have to admit, I cheered when Jokic decked Markieff.