Playoffs Round 1: New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns, Sun 4/17/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Playoffs Round 1: New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns, Sun 4/17/22

Post by Indy »

Look, we are going to get out-rebounded by the Pelicans. And we are going to get killed on the offensive board, especially. And they are great at getting steals. But it is OK, we are still a much better team and we will figure out a way to win despite very few disadvantages.

(but if the warriors or another good team beats us like that on the glass, we are toast)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:39 am
^ Love it, Indy!
Do you? I didn't see your name as someone who hearted it. It's OK. Just trying to teach you how the site works that somebody graciously set up for us. I think it was Shel. :P
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Some notes on the game:
  • Our fans are the best. Whoever got Indy's tickets was very lucky. Our crowd was electric.
  • It's amazing that we got outrebounded by that margin and still it was never really close. However, we need to clean that up. That can't happen the whole way and us expect to win the championship.
  • I'm glad we at least got the number one, national play by play announcer Kevin Harlan. The guy brings excitement to television broadcasts.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yea DA did his thing last night for sure but this was definitely one that got away
This was a dime and a half from CP3 and for sure would have became a timeless highlight
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yup, bounced up and hit him right in the hands.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

One good thing about them crashing the offensive glass is that it leaves them vulnerable in transition, especially with a plodder like Jonas. We took advantage of that yesterday, at least in the first half.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I'd like to know how bad the rebounding differential is if you take away the "tip" putbacks that the Pelicans missed. There were times that I thought JV got like 3 or 4 rebounds on one possession just tipping it back up to the basket until he made it or he missed. I definitely agree that we need to shore up the rebounding, but I think their numbers were a little inflated by the tips that JV usually makes in less tries, or by the tips that were really contested-for rebounds that were defended.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Al interviews Ayton:

"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:16 pm
Al interviews Ayton:

Great interview. Ayton really is growing up. We forget he's 23. He also appears to have no ill effects from those shots he took during the interview cognitively or physically so I'm hopeful he'll be fine for game 2.

I took my first serious head shot from our 2 1/2 year old last night around halftime when I was putting her down. Finished singing to her, lights were out, I was looking down in the dark into her crib and saying "goodnight". She sprung up with full force and jumped in her crib. The top of her skull went straight under my left top front tooth. My tooth compressed really hard into my gum socket I got a fat lip. Once the tooth stopped bleeding, I put ice on it. I'm not looking forward to putting any force and that tooth. Worried it won't sit as still in the encased gum hole like it did previously. Long story short, I'm in worse shape today than DA is.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Valanciunas: 18 Pts, 25 Reb

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I can appreciate Cam going big for the promise to mumz but think he should have reasonably said 7-8
Either way we all know 1 isn't cutting it

I would be watching this closer than usual now because making a promise to your mum is as high as the stakes can get for most sons.... 😊
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:56 am

Yea DA did his thing last night for sure but this was definitely one that got away
This was a dime and a half from CP3 and for sure would have became a timeless highlight
Right in the middle of the CP3 takeover…was an incredible pass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

These are cool.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I re-watched the 3rd quarter since that was really the only time the Pels made the game a close contest. A few things stood out to me.

Booker had a really poor quarter defensively. He fell asleep on a baseline inbound which led to him fouling Hayes and he over pursued Marshall twice on the perimeter that resulted in two easy layups. In general, it seemed like the Suns kind of switched off mentally when someone besides CJ or Ingram had the ball.

The defensive rebounding issues stemmed from two things. One was the Suns trying to get two bodies on Valaciunas which freed up a Pels player to crash hard. The Pels were also relentlessly crashing from the perimeter. It's really hard to box out a guy who's sprinting into the paint. The Suns need to do better, but it wasn't exactly like they weren't trying to rebound.

The third quarter was the worst I can remember seeing Cam Payne play in a while, and while the Suns still had good looks with him and other bench players on the court, they were a bit to complacent with shooting from deep after the first action. I think a big part of that is entering a game when up 20 points.

Besides playing Nance, Murphy, and Marshall more than Hayes and Valanciunas, I didn't see much that the Pels can replicate from that quarter to change the outcome of the game.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »