'21-'22 NBA Playoffs Games/Series

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: '21-'22 NBA Playoffs Games/Series

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:16 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:52 pm
Watching these games just makes me more pissed about our finish. We should have rolled through the playoffs. These teams are ass and it will be a long time before the path to a championship is less competitive.
Totally. You're not going to ever have 2 seasons back-to-back in which it would be easier to win a title than these two. There just weren't dominant teams in the league these two seasons. All the supposed super-teams like the Lebron/AD Lakers and the KD/Kyrie Nets flamed out. Other teams had big injuries (Kawhi; Murray). The path is never going to be so clear to snatch one or two titles. And we couldn't get there. It is hard for me to stomach that as a fan.
I think it's conceivable that our play during our best stretch of the regular season will be the best any team plays this entire season, playoffs included. That team would have trucked through these playoffs.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sure looks like the Mavs are going fishing after tonight's game. They're losing by 19 near the end of the 1st half.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow. How about Tucker and especially Jimmy Butler keeping that series alive in Boston tonight? What a crazy series with both teams taking blows back and forth on their home courts.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I finally watched "highlights" of a Game since we been bounced, definitely wasn't interested in any of GSW v DAL. Credit to y'all cause I not sure how you guys were still watching the West.

Either way, I heard coworkers talking about how poor the offenses been in this series but seems last night game was decent. Seeing Jimmy v Tatum just made me all bummed again about Book's play to end the series. You can talk about CP3 being compromised and the Mavs being able to really scheme against Book but those Game 6 and 7 stat lines you just can't have as an "elite" player.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 3:23 am
I finally watched "highlights" of a Game since we been bounced, definitely wasn't interested in any of GSW v DAL. Credit to y'all cause I not sure how you guys were still watching the West.

Either way, I heard coworkers talking about how poor the offenses been in this series but seems last night game was decent. Seeing Jimmy v Tatum just made me all bummed again about Book's play to end the series. You can talk about CP3 being compromised and the Mavs being able to really scheme against Book but those Game 6 and 7 stat lines you just can't have as an "elite" player.
Booker in Game 6 & 7 - 75 Minutes, 9/31 FG, 0/8 3pt FG, 12/13 FT, 11 Rebounds, 5 Assists, 12 Turnovers, 30 Points, -60 +/-
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

Booker isn’t elite, he’s a great player, but he can be schemed if he’s the only creator. That’s what separates the truly elite guys(LeBron, KD, Giannis, etc)

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Last two games -

Booker - 75 Min, 9/31 FG, 0/8 3pt FG, 12/13 FT, 11 Reb, 5 Ast, 12 Trn, 30 Pts, -60 +/-
Paul - 67 Min, 8/15 FG, 4/8 3Pt, 3/4 FT, 3 Reb, 8 Ast, 5 Trn, 23 Pts, -53 +/-
Bridges - 65 Min, 5/18 FG, 1/4 3Pt, 2/2 FT, 7 Reb, 6 Ast, 2 Trn, 13 Pts, -58 +/-
Crowder - 56 Min, 4/13 FG, 2/7 3Pt, 4/4 FT, 6 Reb, 2 Ast, 3 Trn, 14 Pts, -44 +/-
Ayton - 48 Min, 12/21 FG, 0/0 3Pt, 2/8 FT, 15 Reb, 3 Ast, 4 Trn, 26 Pts, -39 +/-
Johnson - 40 Min, 4/11 FG, 3/7 3Pt, 6/6 FG, 8 Reb, 3 Ast, 0 Trn, 17 Pts, -29 +/-
Shamet - 31 Min, 4/11 FG, 3/5 3Pt, 0/0 FT, 4 Reb, 4 Ast, 3 Trn, 11 Pts, -20 +/-
Craig - 19 Min, 4/9 FG, 0/32 3Pt, 0/0 FT, 7 Reb, 0 Ast, 1 Trn,. 8 Pts, -8 +/-
Payne - 17 Min, 2/10 FG, 1/4 3P, 0/0 FT, 5 Reb, 3 Ast, 3 Trn, 5 Pts, +1 +/-
McGee - 16 Min, 3/7 FG, 0/1 3Pt, 0/0 DG, 8 Reb, 1 Ast, 1 Trn, 6 Pts, +7 +/-
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mike Breen has Covid and will miss the game tonight. Ugh.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:31 am
Mike Breen has Covid and will miss the game tonight. Ugh.
That means Mark Jones will replace him. He was doing the ESPN radio broadcast but will move up to the prime time ABC slot.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So, Celtics / Warriors it is.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The two best defensive teams in the league. I have the Warriors as a slight favorite, but it looks to be a great series.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

It’s actually kind of eerie how similar the Heat and Suns are:

Butler = Booker
Adebayo = Ayton
Lowry = Paul
Tucker = Crowder
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 12:12 am
It’s actually kind of eerie how similar the Heat and Suns are:

Butler = Booker
Adebayo = Ayton
Lowry = Paul
Tucker = Crowder
I just wish Booker had produced like Butler in the playoffs this year.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think the Warriors will win. The East games were often rock fights and low scoring. I don't know that the Celtics can score enough to hang with the Warriors. I also think that nagging injuries may catch up with the Celtics.

My prediction? Warriors in 5. What do y'all think?

Split T

Post by Split T »

It is interesting that the healthiest team(Warriors) spent the regular season not really caring about wins and focused on being healthy at the right time. Every other team has been dealing with injuries all playoffs. I do think cutting the number of games and spacing them out during the regular season is needed. If they don’t, teams will keep figuring out they need to take games off during the regular season. I hope the suns do next year.

Also if their health is ok, I’m picking Boston to win the finals. They have the defense to really give GS problems.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 8:30 am
It is interesting that the healthiest team(Warriors) spent the regular season not really caring about wins and focused on being healthy at the right time. Every other team has been dealing with injuries all playoffs. I do think cutting the number of games and spacing them out during the regular season is needed. If they don’t, teams will keep figuring out they need to take games off during the regular season. I hope the suns do next year.

Also if their health is ok, I’m picking Boston to win the finals. They have the defense to really give GS problems.
I seem to recall advocating for Monty to rest the stars more as the season dragged along, only to be told by several folks that the guys were fine and didn't need rest because they'd have a week off before the playoffs, or something like that. I feel like this year's playoffs was a huge flashing neon sign trying to teach teams to save some energy for the postseason. Lot of nagging injuries and players running out of gas.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:36 am
Split T wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 8:30 am

I seem to recall advocating for Monty to rest the stars more as the season dragged along, only to be told by several folks that the guys were fine and didn't need rest because they'd have a week off before the playoffs, or something like that. I feel like this year's playoffs was a huge flashing neon sign trying to teach teams to save some energy for the postseason. Lot of nagging injuries and players running out of gas.
I’ve been one to think it wasn’t that big of a deal. I was mostly thinking from an injury standpoint. Didn’t think playing was a huge injury risk. Though I was ok just resting players to keep them fresh, but admittedly I got caught up in the race for the most wins like it seems the team did. I’m fully on board for taking it easy next year. Was Book overworked and that’s why he got hurt? Hard to say, I think it’s safe to say CP3 was overworked while Booker was out. A 3rd creator would be just as important, if not more, in keeping people fresh as giving them days off would imo.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Look at the list of players who missed large chunks of time this year - Ja Morant, Chris Paul, Klay Thompson, Stephen Curry, Draymond Green, Jamal Murray, Michael Porter Jr., Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, Zion Williamson, Anthony Davis, LeBron James, De'Aaron Fox, Damian Lillard, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Jimmy Butler, Bam Adebayo, Robert Williams, Khris Middleton, Lonzo Ball, Alex Caruso, Kevin Durant, Jarrett Allen, John Collins, Gordon Hayward, Bradley Beal, Malcolm Brogdon, Jerami Grant, etc. Not to mention Kyrie Irving, John Wall and Ben Simmons

Something's got to be done. The league has become a war of attrition.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

There have bee plenty of theories why there are more players out than there ever has been (or so it seems). It used to be you would see players with a lot of muscle pulls and strains (Jerry West was probably the king of pulled muscles and broken noses), then it was a lot of stress injuries to feet and legs (Bill Walton, Sam Bowie, Paul Westphal, Bill Cartwright, etc.), but now we seem to see a more ligament and tendon issues (Possibly because the players are bigger, stronger and quicker, and play a lot more at a younger age? Possibly because they aren't getting as much "down time" during the summer? Or is it because of the money involved with players playing longer and more careful to protect their future earnings?)

I don't have the answer, but these are some of the possibilities. But even with planned games off there seems to be more injuries. Any thoughts?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

The schedule used to be more grueling, the play more physical, and the players played heavier minutes. So I'm not sure why there would be an increase in injuries now compared to a few decades ago.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.