'21-'22 NBA Playoffs Games/Series

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: '21-'22 NBA Playoffs Games/Series

Post by Split T »

Think they just need to go to like a 56 game schedule, 2-3 games a week and completely eliminate back to backs or even like 3 in 5 days. Take out the need for scheduled rest…of course the nba would never go for that because they’d lose too much money

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 10:43 am
The schedule used to be more grueling, the play more physical, and the players played heavier minutes. So I'm not sure why there would be an increase in injuries now compared to a few decades ago.
But the majority of guys weren't as 'skilled.' (this isn't the right word, but I can't think of it right now). This is how I think of it:

It feels like 30-40 years ago the league was more like off-road racing across a desert or through mud. You need stamina and strength and willingness to fight through anything to win in the end.

The current generation feels more like F1 racing and you need great track conditions and perfectly tuned engines and ideal tire pressure to beat out your opponent and everything is about tweaking the margins.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 10:54 am
Think they just need to go to like a 56 game schedule, 2-3 games a week and completely eliminate back to backs or even like 3 in 5 days. Take out the need for scheduled rest…of course the nba would never go for that because they’d lose too much money
My preference is 61.
  • Expand the league by adding Seattle and Las Vegas.
  • Move New Orleans and either Minny or OKC to the East.
  • Play everyone in your conference 3 times (no head-to-head ties at the end of the season for seeding)
  • Play everyone in the other conference 1 time (this means you don't always get a home and away for the other conference)
  • Keep your mid-season tourney to recoup revenue from the lost games (hoping those games bring in more money that typical mid-season games)

This gives 45 in-conference games plus 16 out of conference games = 61. If you can keep the mid-season tournament as a single elimination format, only the two "finals" match ups would play 5 more games total, most teams would fall into that 2-3 additional games and we still keep in to around 64 games each year for the average team before playoffs.

The 16 teams in each conference helps the format of the mid-season as you could run it like a march madness tournament and everyone gets in and has to win or go home.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 8:30 am
It is interesting that the healthiest team(Warriors) spent the regular season not really caring about wins and focused on being healthy at the right time. Every other team has been dealing with injuries all playoffs. I do think cutting the number of games and spacing them out during the regular season is needed. If they don’t, teams will keep figuring out they need to take games off during the regular season. I hope the suns do next year.

Also if their health is ok, I’m picking Boston to win the finals. They have the defense to really give GS problems.
I've been saying this over and over. The Warriors know how to play for a championship. The Suns need to learn from them.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:56 am
Look at the list of players who missed large chunks of time this year - Ja Morant, Chris Paul, Klay Thompson, Stephen Curry, Draymond Green, Jamal Murray, Michael Porter Jr., Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, Zion Williamson, Anthony Davis, LeBron James, De'Aaron Fox, Damian Lillard, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Jimmy Butler, Bam Adebayo, Robert Williams, Khris Middleton, Lonzo Ball, Alex Caruso, Kevin Durant, Jarrett Allen, John Collins, Gordon Hayward, Bradley Beal, Malcolm Brogdon, Jerami Grant, etc. Not to mention Kyrie Irving, John Wall and Ben Simmons

Something's got to be done. The league has become a war of attrition.
Notice how all those Warriors you mentioned are healthy now when it's most important.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Gary Payton II may play in the Finals. That's good news for the Warriors.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 11:41 am
Gary Payton II may play in the Finals. That's good news for the Warriors.

Go Celtics

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 11:58 am
Split T wrote:
My preference is 61.
  • Play everyone in your conference 3 times (no head-to-head ties at the end of the season for seeding)
  • Play everyone in the other conference 1 time (this means you don't always get a home and away for the other conference)
  • Keep your mid-season tourney to recoup revenue from the lost games (hoping those games bring in more money that typical mid-season games)

This gives 45 in-conference games plus 16 out of conference games = 61. If you can keep the mid-season tournament as a single elimination format, only the two "finals" match ups would play 5 more games total, most teams would fall into that 2-3 additional games and we still keep in to around 64 games each year for the average team before playoffs.

The 16 teams in each conference helps the format of the mid-season as you could run it like a march madness tournament and everyone gets in and has to win or go home.
I prefer a 32-team league (with Seattle and either Las Vegas, Kansas City or Louisville) with a 62 game schedule (home and away against every team), especially if they're going to adopt the midseason tournament. I also think that every team plays an equal number of games (5) so that team that advance to the championship aren't playing 4 more games than teams that lose in the first round.

Ijust like the idea of the home crowd getting to see every team come into town every year.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 4:48 pm
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
My preference is 61.

I prefer a 32-team league (with Seattle and either Las Vegas, Kansas City or Louisville) with a 62 game schedule (home and away against every team), especially if they're going to adopt the midseason tournament. I also think that every team plays an equal number of games (5) so that team that advance to the championship aren't playing 4 more games than teams that lose in the first round.

Ijust like the idea of the home crowd getting to see every team come into town every year.
I like that idea too if they would get rid of the east vs west conferences. Just have a league of 32 teams and get rid of the delineations. Playoff seeding is just based on record, and everyone plays everyone equally.

But if they want to keep the conference format, I think it is better to play more games within your conference than out of it.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 5:03 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 4:48 pm
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
My preference is 61.

I like that idea too if they would get rid of the east vs west conferences. Just have a league of 32 teams and get rid of the delineations. Playoff seeding is just based on record, and everyone plays everyone equally.

But if they want to keep the conference format, I think it is better to play more games within your conference than out of it.
You've read my mind. I've been advocating for this for a long time due to bad teams getting into the playoffs.

Play a complete round-robin schedule and seed the playoff teams 1-14 with 15-18 in a play-in for the last two spots.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Will ESPN ever get this stuff right? Do we really need 5 people for this? They look like they're riding on Allegiant Air together.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:40 pm
Will ESPN ever get this stuff right? Do we really need 5 people for this? They look like they're riding on Allegiant Air together.

LOL, I've seen school cafeteria tables with more room between kids.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Boston with a dominant 4th Q to come back from 12 down to win by 12

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Celtics win game 1 by a lot.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

That was a pretty impressive 4th quarter by Boston.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Looked like Dallas in game 7 against us

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I bet Boston +500 to win the title right after Kris Middleton hurt his knee.

(But I also hedged with a GSW win in Game 1. :? )

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Finally got around to watching Game 1. What an onslaught of a fourth quarter by the Celtics, but we've seen that kind of thing maybe a dozen times in these playoffs. So many games have been decided by one team catching fire for a quarter. I was a bit worried going into this series that the Warriors shooting would be too lethal and we'd get a boring 5 or 6 game series, so I was glad to see Boston steal Game 1.

I'm kinda perplexed by Kerr giving important minutes to Igoudala. He's obviously smart, but he's cooked physically and was so out of place in the first 6 minutes to start the fourth quarter. Having him and Draymond Green out there together was a gift for the Celtics defense and he wasn't doing anything to slow down Jaylen Brown. Regardless of that questionable choice by Kerr, the Celtics won the game with their defense late. They hounded the Warriors ball movement and forced them into isolation possessions with Curry once the game became close. Even if they didn't shoot the cover off of the ball, the Celtics had the Warriors bottled up like few teams have been able to do this season.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

No messages about the Warriors' win tonight. Pretty big stomping of the Celtics to even the series at 1-1. Warriors needed this game or else it would have been almost impossible to win the series. Was one of those nights where it felt like every Steph or Poole shot was going in; they are hard to beat when they get into that kind of groove.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I stopped paying attention at halftime because I had to get some things done and whenever I caught a glimpse of the score in the 3rd the game looked to already be over.

Betting GSW -4.5 was free money and that was pretty clear in the first quarter with some of the dumb officiating going against the Celtics. They were really only keeping it close because Tatum was on fire and the Warriors missed a bunch of layups and free throws in the first half.