Playoffs Round 1, Game 2: New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns (1-0), Tues 4/19/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Playoffs Round 1, Game 2: New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns (1-0), Tues 4/19/22

Post by Mori Chu »

What a gut punch to potentially lose Booker for some games. As much as I dislike Landry Shamet, I must say that the best he's played was when he got extended minutes rather than spot duty. It seemed to let him get more comfortable and find a rhythm. So hopefully he's ready to step up.

JJ Slim

Re: Playoffs Round 1, Game 2: New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns (1-0), Tues 4/19/22

Post by JJ Slim »

I was so upset last night I had to log off because every time I went to write a post I ended up erasing and trying to rewrite all the awful feelings I had. It was late for me anyways (after midnight). I had a hard time sleeping just like so many times years ago when the Suns failed. I was also worried about having to feel like this for so many days before the next game but then I thought that gives the Suns this extended time to stew on it too. It was ONE lousy game in a series of 7. That was not this season's Suns! This will not happen again. This is not Sonics vs Nuggets with Dikembe.

My only concern is Booker. The look on his face after he hurt it says everything. He has been through this before and knew exactly what happened and what it meant. I'm going to assume he is out at least for the remainder of this series

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

JJ Slim wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:18 am
I was so upset last night I had to log off because every time I went to write a post I ended up erasing and trying to rewrite all the awful feelings I had. It was late for me anyways (after midnight). I had a hard time sleeping just like so many times years ago when the Suns failed. I was also worried about having to feel like this for so many days before the next game but then I thought that gives the Suns this extended time to stew on it too. It was ONE lousy game in a series of 7. That was not this season's Suns! This will not happen again. This is not Sonics vs Nuggets with Dikembe.

My only concern is Booker. The look on his face after he hurt it says everything. He has been through this before and knew exactly what happened and what it meant. I'm going to assume he is out at least for the remainder of this series
Ugh, I'm with you. I had such a hard time sleeping last night. And it was more Booker's injury than the loss that got to me. I think in my 40-ish years of Suns fandom, this is the most emotionally invested in the team I've ever been, and it's a lot!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Remember, Booker had back-to-back 40 point games the next two games after injuring his hamstring in the Finals: https://clutchpoints.com/suns-news-devi ... ealed/amp/
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:58 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:24 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:01 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Indy wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:30 pm
Honestly, if Jonas gets a 3 or 4 more of his shots at the rim to go down, we could have lost. He missed 9 shots at the rim last night.
Respectfully, there's no way the Suns were losing the game with their defensive performance. Of course it would've been closer on the scoreboard if Jonas got a few more buckets, but the Suns still would've won the game in crunch time. I think you should personally apologize to Chris Paul for even suggesting the Suns could've lost that game.
This. 48-0 now when leading going into the 4th. I am curious how many times this stat is going to be tested in the playoffs.
Guys, our wonderful defense gave up a 37 point quarter. They took 95!! shots. They missed 35!!! shots in the paint. I would love to believe that our defense will keep forcing them to shoot <38% for the series, but that just isn't going to happen. I am not saying we won't win, or that we can't sweep them. But a #9 seed being within 6 points of the #1 seed late in the 4th while you missed so many open shots in the paint isn't something for Willie to hang his head over.
The point is that was the third quarter. Not the fourth. It's never been the fourth. I have total faith in our guys when it's winning time.
I think you jinxed us. :P

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:04 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:58 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:24 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:01 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Respectfully, there's no way the Suns were losing the game with their defensive performance. Of course it would've been closer on the scoreboard if Jonas got a few more buckets, but the Suns still would've won the game in crunch time. I think you should personally apologize to Chris Paul for even suggesting the Suns could've lost that game.
This. 48-0 now when leading going into the 4th. I am curious how many times this stat is going to be tested in the playoffs.
Guys, our wonderful defense gave up a 37 point quarter. They took 95!! shots. They missed 35!!! shots in the paint. I would love to believe that our defense will keep forcing them to shoot <38% for the series, but that just isn't going to happen. I am not saying we won't win, or that we can't sweep them. But a #9 seed being within 6 points of the #1 seed late in the 4th while you missed so many open shots in the paint isn't something for Willie to hang his head over.
The point is that was the third quarter. Not the fourth. It's never been the fourth. I have total faith in our guys when it's winning time.
I think you jinxed us. :P
Yeah, I caused Book's injury. It's the only logical explanation. My bad.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The OGW appears in many forms. Remember the baby dap? Just sayin'.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I had to work last night in a sports bar. Avoided looking at the TV the whole game wanting to wait until I got home to watch it. I was done and went to talk to my Suns fan buddy who was there with his girlfriend and staring at the Suns game on TV and decided to watch the last few minutes. He said Booker hadn’t played the whole second half because he fouled out. I was like “Nobody fouls out in the first half!” I watched them lose the final few minutes and didn’t watch the game when I got home. Now I read here that Booker is hurt and that’s why he was out. I just started watching the game and part of me doesn’t even want to watch it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Just watch the first half to see Book go crazy…2nd half isn’t worth watching

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

If Suns can’t beat Pels without Book, perhaps it isn’t in the cards to win a ring. Here’s hoping Ayton, Cam Johnson, and Payne step it the f up.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Still stuck on that 3rd quarter
Finally getting around to being able to check back tweets and the game. This is a very good observation which was made

Explains why Hayes was so quick down the court. There were a couple instances with the ball literally getting lobbed over CP3 as the last man back
With that being said tho, collectively this is still the bottom line

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:27 am

Scott Foster and Tony Brothers??? There’s no universe where we win this game. :lol:
Ouch!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Landry was fairly solid last night tbh
Just I'm sure all of us were too offset to notice

Don't think we even talked about this which totally surprised me
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:01 pm
Landry was fairly solid last night tbh
Just I'm sure all of us were too offset to notice

Don't think we even talked about this which totally surprised me
Yeah 4 of our 5 bench guys out-played 4 out of 5 of our starters yesterday.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Does this happen if Booker didn’t play all those meaningless minutes the last 3 weeks of the season? The games we were yelling at the tv to not play 35+ minutes each night?

Asking for a friend.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Payne has really got to step it up. He should be getting into the paint at will.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:13 pm
Does this happen if Booker didn’t play all those meaningless minutes the last 3 weeks of the season? The games we were yelling at the tv to not play 35+ minutes each night?

Asking for a friend.
He sat 3 of the final 6 games and then had a week off…I don’t think it factored at all

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I just watched the game. I expected a horrible second half by the comments. It was a close game the whole time with 20 lead changes. The Pelicans just hit a bunch a shots to close it out. The Suns transition defense was where they were weakest. The Pels were definitely cherry picking. Monty was harping on it during the game. The student coach is out coaching his mentor. He knows the Suns better than any other person on planet earth.

The Suns road record is better than any other team’s home record. I don’t hear any fat lady.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

A bigger issue is the Suns have shot 32% from 3-point range since getting their 62nd win against the Warriors on 3/30.

Prior to that GSW game, the Suns shot 43% or better from 3-point range 7 times in March. The highest mark in the stretch since 3/30 has been 37%.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.