Playoffs Round 1, Game 2: New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns (1-0), Tues 4/19/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Playoffs Round 1, Game 2: New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns (1-0), Tues 4/19/22

Post by Superbone »

Time: 7:00 pm AZ (7:00 pm PT/10:00 pm ET)
Place: Footprint Center, Phoenix, AZ
TV: TNT

Let's not mess around. We've got plenty to talk about leading into Game 2. Will the Suns shore up the rebounding gap? What adjustments might Willie Green make? We've got to keep the pedal to the metal. We can't let them think they have any kind of chance like we did in the third quarter of Game 1.

https://www.nba.com/gamenotes/suns.pdf‬
https://www.nba.com/gamenotes/pelicans.pdf‬

Go Suns!!!

Dis • cuss
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Re: Playoffs Round 1, Game 2: New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns (1-0), Tues 4/19/22

Post by Split T »

First adjustment to watch for is Jaxon Hayes, I’d guess he moves to the bench. If I was them I’d start Murphy

Superbone

Re: Playoffs Round 1, Game 2: New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns (1-0), Tues 4/19/22

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:04 pm
First adjustment to watch for is Jaxon Hayes, I’d guess he moves to the bench. If I was them I’d start Murphy
Not according to Willie:

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Good, we’ll get off to a good start again then

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think he is going to wait until Game 3 (assuming we win again) before making a line up change. I don't think he wants to over-react (or more importantly, get his players to over-react) to losing game 1 when they were within 6 points late in the 4th, on the road, to the best team in the NBA. Honestly, if Jonas gets a 3 or 4 more of his shots at the rim to go down, we could have lost. He missed 9 shots at the rim last night.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I've been expecting Willie Green to move the more veteran players into larger roles to better match the Suns starters, but maybe he knows it's an exercise in futility and he's just going to stick with Hayes to get him reps. If it were me, I'd go with Murphy or Nance in the starting lineup. Each guy brings something different offensively, but they're much less of a liability than Hayes on the defensive side. Role players always play better at home, and that's when I'd try to work the younger guys into bigger roles.
Indy wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:30 pm
Honestly, if Jonas gets a 3 or 4 more of his shots at the rim to go down, we could have lost. He missed 9 shots at the rim last night.
Respectfully, there's no way the Suns were losing the game with their defensive performance. Of course it would've been closer on the scoreboard if Jonas got a few more buckets, but the Suns still would've won the game in crunch time. I think you should personally apologize to Chris Paul for even suggesting the Suns could've lost that game.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Indy wrote:
Honestly, if Jonas gets a 3 or 4 more of his shots at the rim to go down, we could have lost. He missed 9 shots at the rim last night.
Respectfully, there's no way the Suns were losing the game with their defensive performance. Of course it would've been closer on the scoreboard if Jonas got a few more buckets, but the Suns still would've won the game in crunch time. I think you should personally apologize to Chris Paul for even suggesting the Suns could've lost that game.
This. 48-0 now when leading going into the 4th. I am curious how many times this stat is going to be tested in the playoffs.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:01 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Indy wrote:
This. 48-0 now when leading going into the 4th. I am curious how many times this stat is going to be tested in the playoffs.
Guys, our wonderful defense gave up a 37 point quarter. They took 95!! shots. They missed 35!!! shots in the paint. I would love to believe that our defense will keep forcing them to shoot <38% for the series, but that just isn't going to happen. I am not saying we won't win, or that we can't sweep them. But a #9 seed being within 6 points of the #1 seed late in the 4th while you missed so many open shots in the paint isn't something for Willie to hang his head over.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:24 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:01 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Indy wrote:
Guys, our wonderful defense gave up a 37 point quarter. They took 95!! shots. They missed 35!!! shots in the paint. I would love to believe that our defense will keep forcing them to shoot <38% for the series, but that just isn't going to happen. I am not saying we won't win, or that we can't sweep them. But a #9 seed being within 6 points of the #1 seed late in the 4th while you missed so many open shots in the paint isn't something for Willie to hang his head over.
The point is that was the third quarter. Not the fourth. It's never been the fourth. I have total faith in our guys when it's winning time.

"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I give the Pels credit for the comeback but we’ve seen the same movie all season. Suns whoop dat ass, then get bored and complacent, other team takes advantage. Bit them in the ass the last couple years but not this year. They are just different this year. I don’t even get worried at the end of most games this year, I just sit back and watch the show.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This isn't the same team that the Suns took advantage of most of the games. The trade for CJ really helped them. I don't think the Suns are going to shut them down offensively for a half again.

That being said, the Suns were able to win while having some glaring holes and problems in their own game. Giving up so many offensive rebounds has to be addressed and fixed. It's one of the things that killed them in the Finals last yr, and something that killed them in many of their losses this year, including against both the Warriors and Grizzlies. That's a bit of an effort and awareness thing, that can get fixed.

Payne was dreadful and a large reason why the Pels had such a good 3rd quarter, imo. He was driving when he shouldn't and getting stuffed, throwing the ball away in a Pels run, unable to make anything from 3, and not helping stem the tide of offensive boards given up by not even trying to box out. His defense was atrocious too.

Crowder couldn't hit anything, and he's bound to shoot better in bigger games. Also, Craig didn't shoot very well and both Book and Cam J had just OK games. Nothing great shooting wise.

Lastly, the refs should have been briefed on the blatant push offs by Valanciunas the whole game, so they may be more cognizant of it happening.

I expect the Pels to start or play Trey Murphy much more tonight, as his shooting opened up lanes and spacing for McCollum and Ingram to go off.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hope the Suns watched the video of the last game and talked about the 3rd quarter so they'll know what they can do differently tonight. We can't just rely on CP3 going off in the 4th to save us every game. The Pels' size and rebounding gave us some problems until CP3 went god mode on them.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Scott Foster and Tony Brothers??? There’s no universe where we win this game. :lol:
Last edited by Wally_West on Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:46 am
Lastly, the refs should have been briefed on the blatant push offs by Valanciunas the whole game, so they may be more cognizant of it happening.
Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that. Valanciunas did a LOT of pushing off the entire game.
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

The only reason the Pels came back is because Monty didn’t want to run Bridges ragged in game 1. It gave McCollum a chance to cook a bit. I’d rather have a “close” game, which it never really was than overexert our players.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

MightyMoog wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:15 am
The only reason the Pels came back is because Monty didn’t want to run Bridges ragged in game 1. It gave McCollum a chance to cook a bit. I’d rather have a “close” game, which it never really was than overexert our players.
There may be something to this for sure. There is a human element that is natural to come into play, where the guys just get a slight bit complacent, thinking that it's in the bag.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:27 am

Scott Foster and Tony Brothers??? There’s no universe where we win this game. :lol:
Even if we do, there is no way we cover the spread. I never bet, but if there is a way to bet on the over for FTA by the Pels and the under for the Suns, you should do it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:25 am
I hope the Suns watched the video of the last game and talked about the 3rd quarter so they'll know what they can do differently tonight.
I guarantee you that happened.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm looking forward to talking about the refs all night. Actually, I'll be watching from Vegas so will probably check in late and get to relive it all over again when I go through this thread.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Chris Paul has lost, I believe, 12 straight playoff games (that he has actually played in) that Scott Foster has officiated.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.