Playoffs Round 1, Game 4: Phoenix Suns (2-1) @ New Orleans Pelicans, Sun 4/24/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Playoffs Round 1, Game 4: Phoenix Suns (2-1) @ New Orleans Pelicans, Sun 4/24/22

Post by Shabazz »

Suns roster construction has left them with no viable “go big” options.

Flagrant Fowl

Re: Playoffs Round 1, Game 4: Phoenix Suns (2-1) @ New Orleans Pelicans, Sun 4/24/22

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Swap the Booker and Ingram luck and we'd be talking about the Suns maybe getting too much rest before the next round.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That was a regular ass whipping to end the game. The Suns need to regroup after that.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Really doesn't feel like we're in a good spot. Something's felt off with this team going back to the last few regular season games. Clear lack of confidence in our shooting, we're not moving the ball or moving without the ball the way we normally do - there's no flow to the offense. I'm OK with the defense, the Pels are just hitting shots against us. We have to find a way to slow down Ingram because no one is even bothering him it seems.

CP is back on his walk-it-up bullshit for 15 seconds every possession that lets the defense get set. He's flirted with that 8 second backcourt call at least half a dozen times this series, just barely getting it over halfcourt at the :16 second mark. The refs probably could've called at 2 other violations last night. He's playing too slow, it's been a problem and someone needs to get in his ear about pushing the pace, getting out in transition, getting those deep seals for early scoring opps. He's playing like Mark Jackson, backing down his defender from 70 feet.

I don't know what we can do about the physicality and FT disparity. The Pels hit first and the refs let them get away with it because they've been the aggressors all series. We're on our "too cool, never get rattled" Spurs shit and aren't getting the benefit of the doubt. Instead, guys like Alvarado and Jones are digging into us and coming out on top. Monty likes steadiness but it might be time to "muck it up" with guys like Holiday, Ish and Biyombo.

The Pels aren't your typical 8 seed and we probably underestimated them. Had CJ been there all season, they're more like a 5 seed and we need to treat them that way.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yup
Agree with lots of that Shel

I get folks commenting on Refs, roster construction and so on but it's "in between the ears" for me that is the biggest issue. I never thought our mindset would be an issue, I believed all the in season talk about our Hunger to Right last year's Wrongs and it's weird that the emotional letdown ppl thought we would have this year is all of a sudden surfacing in the Playoffs ?!?! :? :?

For us to be speaking about the physicality bothers me. The Clippers did it a bunch last year then the Bucks also bullied us for most of the Finals which was an integral part. A legit PF although a valid point doesn't make the other 4 guys and whoever off the bench play with the required edge and that's the disappointing part.

I know Monty keeps it real with his we have to be comfortable having uncomfortable discussions theory but We played Hard but they played Harder should just never be words uttered.
I will say again, really thought our Desperation to prove a point would have matched anybody's energy we faced.

I also think Book is the hungriest on the team and our tone setter but still that shouldn't be the sole reason for our effort
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I don't like to blame the refs usually, but this one, to me, was completely the result of the officiating. You can't put guys in foul trouble and then have them "play hard", or have guys play extended minutes or in lineups they don't have a lot of experience in and just "play hard". The refs got pulled in by the crowd and this mindset that if you foul right from the tip-off, it's okay. Someone from our team needed to get T'd up a lot earlier in the game. Someone should have gone after Herb Jones when he checked Paul to the floor... no way a rookie should get that kind of respect from the officials.

I absolutely hate how the postseason suddenly gets officiated differently from the regular season.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Given his recent play, should Payne be benched in favor of Holiday? I think Holiday showed a fearlessness when he came in during the end of this game and scored several quick baskets. He also showed a fire and anger that I haven't seen from the other guys.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Benching Payne is too drastic. He's our 2nd best ballhandler and probably our quickest perimeter threat. He's been fine getting into the lane, I'd actually like to see more of him in the backcourt with CP to give us another ballhandler/distributor with speed to pressure their defense and take some of the responsibility off CP. Holiday is fine to mix in for some more speed and aggressive play but it's hard to find those minutes. Not sure Monty really trusts Holiday just yet, but for a few minutes here or there for a spark he could swing things a bit.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:53 am
I absolutely hate how the postseason suddenly gets officiated differently from the regular season.
And yet we get blown for every whistle like it's not the playoffs, expected to play with guys missing and key players with 3 fouls early in the 2nd quarter. It's a joke.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Game 1 the refs let us play physical, we haven’t been allowed to since then

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Payne has been atrocious. I don't see Monty making that switch, but it is warranted based on Payne's play.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Wow

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Two more efforts like last night and Suns can watch the rest of the playoffs at home like the rest of us.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:43 pm
Buckets Mcgee
for both teams.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:51 pm
Chris Paul has to be better.
something isn't right with him

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:06 pm

CP3 hurt? Fantastic.
Ah, i guess that's true.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Hadn't seen this one posted yet and it's the story of the series. We're watching Ingram breakout in front of us. Yea, we could use a legit PF for a bigger option (ie, Thad Young), but we know Jae, Mikal, Torrey aren't slouches defensively. BI is knocking down shots over great defense and great defenders. The playoffs are about matchups and we don't have an answer for him yet.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:05 am
Hadn't seen this one posted yet and it's the story of the series. We're watching Ingram breakout in front of us. Yea, we could use a legit PF for a bigger option (ie, Thad Young), but we know Jae, Mikal, Torrey aren't slouches defensively. BI is knocking down shots over great defense and great defenders. The playoffs are about matchups and we don't have an answer for him yet.

MAKE HIM GO LEFT. SEE IF HE CAN DO THAT.

Sorry, just had to say that. I think 95% of his shots are him going to his right. Overplay it! And if you have DA out there and Jonas isn't, trap BI.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I like the idea of DA on BI if they're small with Nance at the 5. Just gotta cover off on Nance.