Suns News Playoff Edition: Week 28 (4/25 - 5/1)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Suns News Playoff Edition: Week 28 (4/25 - 5/1)

Post by Mori Chu »

Ayton has been a bit frustrating during regular seasons but for the 2nd year in a row has been just nasty in the playoffs. I think we pretty much have to max him at this point.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Just max the dude. For any inconsistency he shows in the regular season, he's probably our most reliable 2-way player in the playoffs (when it counts).

He's also got so much untapped upside on offense. I have a hard time seeing him not earning the max deal and I think he'll be a tradeable (and even desirable) asset throughout.

Just do it, James (and whoever takes over for Sarver)!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The most encouraging thing to me is that with Book out, he stepped up with his own offense -it wasn't just dunks/layups and lobs reliant on CP for easy looks. His midrange jumper was automatic and he was able to work JV with a few different post moves for efficient offense. I think a big concern was that if/when CP leaves, DA's game would fall off because he wouldn't have a top flight PG spoon feeding him. But if his offense keeps progressing and the effort level stays consistent, he could be that dominant max big to pair with Book (and still have Mikal on the wing).

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Brunson to me looks like our toughest matchup next round. Ayton should feast down low the whole series. I worry about CP3 or Book catching fouls by Bunson. Dallas 3 guards really eat at the free throw line. Suns are gonna continue to get a poor whistle.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

From watching the Jazz series, the Mavs don't seem to mind switching Luka on to a big, even in the post. It would be interesting to see how they're going to handle the Paul and Ayton screen and roll, because we're definitely going to get a favorable matchup either way on the switch.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

If you don’t max DA you’re going to regret it. He is a star in the postseason and regardless of how many games he takes off in the regular season that is what counts.

How many times have we had players in the league that just disappeared when it mattered in the playoffs from an efficiency standpoint? Dude just has it when he wants it. He’s a max player.

Now, if he would take a Mikal Bridges deal so we could up Cam J as well- that would be amazing.

If he took 4/$100 mil, Cam took 4/75 mil I would be very happy.

But if he won’t, then just max him and be done with it.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Games every other night again except for a potential Game 7

I really haven't watched the Mavs either but would have said I think Brunson a player and wasn't surprised he was torching Jazz. Series numbers are serious

He avg 19ppg against us in the 3 regular season games but I'm seeing lots of chatter about Mavs revamped offense especially how they are using him and Dinwiddie now. Don't think we faced Dinwiddie as a Mav and obviously with Wizards he looked terrible tbh so nothing to go on there.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yea Torrey got dropped from the rotation quick. Interested to see if Monty goes this route

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:42 pm
If you don’t max DA you’re going to regret it. He is a star in the postseason and regardless of how many games he takes off in the regular season that is what counts.

How many times have we had players in the league that just disappeared when it mattered in the playoffs from an efficiency standpoint? Dude just has it when he wants it. He’s a max player.

Now, if he would take a Mikal Bridges deal so we could up Cam J as well- that would be amazing.

There is no way Cam is taking a 4/75 deal.

And 4/100 for Ayton is him basically giving ~40M to Sarver for nothing.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

:oops: :oops:
Yea always curious how this matches up against the eye test. Cam J been far from lights out but I felt he was making just enough plays. I could remember alot of Wdh ya doing Jae moments too lol but is what it is, that's a really big variance between the two :?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:39 pm
specialsauce wrote:

The Cam deal is interesting to me…Ayton is clearly signing a max, so not that interesting. We got Mikal at 4/92 and I think he’s showing he’s more valuable than Cam, so I kinda see that number as his ceiling, but it’s probably going to be right around that. 4/75 is about as low as I see it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:33 pm
Yea Torrey got dropped from the rotation quick. Interested to see if Monty goes this route

Craig didn’t have any luck guarding Ingram and never saw the light of day again. New series. I have to think he gets some playing time coming up but, we’ll see.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I thought Nola was a bad matchup for us. Craig got benched when we started having to go big. But I think we’re a bad matchup for Dallas.

But that being said. I think we’re going to need a couple of 30pt games from Ayton this series.

Brunson is the one that worries me. Bridges can absolutely render him useless, but then who do we put on Doncic?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Booker could actually do a good job on Brunson

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:39 pm
specialsauce wrote:

I didn’t say it’s likely, just what I’m hoping for to keep the core intact

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'll be surprised if Ayton is making less than $30M next season.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:33 pm
I thought the first year of a max deal for him was right at 29.5? But even a 4 year deal will average around 34M/year I think.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:45 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:33 pm
I thought the first year of a max deal for him was right at 29.5? But even a 4 year deal will average around 34M/year I think.
That could be the case. I think he'll be offered the most possible and it'll be right at $30M for the first year, IIRC.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

He deserves it
. Just look how much his offensive game has developed this year.. Last year ar it was all layups and the occasional jump shot.. Now he is bouncing the ball, making baby hooks... He just keeps getting better. Our biggest crime is not going to him more in second half... But we do not 3s as well... He just comes. Out and sets the pick so often I'd like more posting up

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

dragickingdom

Post by dragickingdom »

If we offer him a max of what other teams can give him and also up a 5th year that would be less then our max and the 5th year gives him security.