Suns-Mavs Round 2 News Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns-Mavs Round 2 News Thread

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:04 am
Just don't count on him to guard anybody.
Don't matter. Best player on the court. The GOAT...to many.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That Ringer article is devastating for the Mavericks. Love it!
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Definitely something he has to work on and I look forward to it hopefully becoming a reliable or at least competent part of his game as he expands

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Some of these articles and stats make me really appreciate the thoughtful roster construction that James Jones and crew have executed here. We have a team where almost every single player is a good two-way player who can defend at least at an average level, if not well above-average. Almost every guy on the court can shoot all the way out to the 3-point line, other than maybe our centers. Almost every single guy is athletic and can run the floor as needed. Most of them are versatile and can switch a bit on D. Almost everybody is a good free throw shooter, so you can't really hack-a-X us (other than maybe JaVale or Biyombo, but even they aren't horrible). We don't really have anybody who hogs the ball or refuses to pass to the open man, outside of maybe Payne from time to time. And we don't have a single headcase, bad locker room guy, low effort guy, etc.

This doesn't just happen. This roster has been constructed with great care and precision. It's a group of guys without a lot of weaknesses. You can't "hunt" somebody on the Suns really. You can't rely on us to miss certain shots, to miss our FTs, to fail to rotate or switch on D. We don't have a lot of flaws. Tough team to stop. And a really fun team to root for.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:31 am
Some of these articles and stats make me really appreciate the thoughtful roster construction that James Jones and crew have executed here. We have a team where almost every single player is a good two-way player who can defend at least at an average level, if not well above-average. Almost every guy on the court can shoot all the way out to the 3-point line, other than maybe our centers. Almost every single guy is athletic and can run the floor as needed. Most of them are versatile and can switch a bit on D. Almost everybody is a good free throw shooter, so you can't really hack-a-X us (other than maybe JaVale or Biyombo, but even they aren't horrible). We don't really have anybody who hogs the ball or refuses to pass to the open man, outside of maybe Payne from time to time. And we don't have a single headcase, bad locker room guy, low effort guy, etc.

This doesn't just happen. This roster has been constructed with great care and precision. It's a group of guys without a lot of weaknesses. You can't "hunt" somebody on the Suns really. You can't rely on us to miss certain shots, to miss our FTs, to fail to rotate or switch on D. We don't have a lot of flaws. Tough team to stop. And a really fun team to root for.
And then to contrast that with what McDonough thought was good team construction. Most of the McDonough team has been shipped out. We even played against one of them in garbage time in Game 2.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I remember Duds being on a Bench but not with them

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

He looks to be in his usual game shape.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:37 pm
He looks to be in his usual game shape.
Thicc boi.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So, Zach Lowe's bold take is that the Suns will sweep the Mavs. Matt Barnes' bold take was Mavs win 1 in Dallas before Suns finish them off at home. :P
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Think tonight is the Mavs one shot at a win…if we go up 3-0, they won’t show up for game 4. If they take game 3, Suns will take care of business in game 4.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I intended to comment earlier on how several players from Mavs bench are constantly standing the whole game. That's annoying in itself for the fans sitting in the first few rows behind them, but I guess they were also on the court during play which is just dumb.

But is it as dumb as Cuban's petty link? What's he trying to say? It's OK, we won't stop our players from illegally standing on the court during the game.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:21 pm
I intended to comment earlier on how several players from Mavs bench are constantly standing the whole game. That's annoying in itself for the fans sitting in the first few rows behind them, but I guess they were also on the court during play which is just dumb.

But is it as dumb as Cuban's petty link? What's he trying to say? It's OK, we won't stop our players from illegally standing on the court during the game.

Feels like that's exactly what he's going to encourage his team to do.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Then it smells like a free point at the line for the Suns to me if the officials do their job.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:47 pm
Then it smells like a free point at the line for the Suns to me if the officials do their job.
How about for the game winning free throw. That would be something.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

These guys don't like to lose. We're the better team. Let's do this.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Check this out. Somebody has a twitter account dedicated to whether Scott Foster is officiating or not:

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Phew, that's good news about Foster.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:28 am
Phew, that's good news about Foster.
He couldn’t have been any worse.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Welp, this Suns team hasn’t lost three in a row all season long. If they do now, they’re in big trouble. The rough thing is it appears they’ve been figured out.
"Be Legendary."