Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by Cap »

Dee Brown, less known? The guy who pumped his shoes and won a dunk contest? That was pretty darn memorable.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:22 pm
Dee Brown, less known? The guy who pumped his shoes and won a dunk contest? That was pretty darn memorable.
I almost wrote "Dee pfsh pfsh pfsh Brown"

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:37 am
There is a generation/age of Suns fans (me included) that idolized KJ. He was by far my favorite player of my teen years.
I was more concerned that with Barkley in town KJ’s stats would decline. From ages 12-14 I was obsessed with NBA stats and box scores and card collecting. I wanted KJ to be seen as better than Hardaway.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:58 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:05 pm
KJ had a very dependable perimeter shot - he just didn't have 3-point range. Most players didn't emphasize that then.
A ton of his contemporary PG sure did. All of these guys had a least 1 season where they took at least 3 attempts per game during 1987-2000 (KJ's career) while listed as a PG, whereas KJ never got above 1.0.

Gary Payton
Mark Price
Magic Johnson
Nick Van Exel
Scott Skiles
Damon Stoudemire
Doc Rivers
Terry Porter
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Derek Harper
Tim Hardaway
Penny Hardaway
Stevie Francis
Sam Cassell
Mookie Daron Oshay Blaylock
Danny Ainge
Mahmoud Abdul Rauf
Chauncey Billups
Dana Barros

And those are just the well-known ones. There are several other less-known guys like Dee Brown and Darrell Armstrong...

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I buy the Derrick Rose comparison -- but I think that folks are forgetting exactly how good KJ was...when healthy. You could stick healthy KJ with a bunch of scrubs and they would make the playoffs as a 5 seed. He was THAT good at his penetrate-and-dish routine.

All I am saying is that we should imagine KJ without hand-checking and with a range he developed out to the 3-pt line. He would be a lot more durable, too, if he weren't being slammed to the floor every other possession. Can't prevent him from trying to pick up Oliver Miller, though. That undiagnosed hernia really screwed him up during the Barkley years.

Split T

Post by Split T »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:42 pm
I buy the Derrick Rose comparison -- but I think that folks are forgetting exactly how good KJ was...when healthy. You could stick healthy KJ with a bunch of scrubs and they would make the playoffs as a 5 seed. He was THAT good at his penetrate-and-dish routine.

All I am saying is that we should imagine KJ without hand-checking and with a range he developed out to the 3-pt line. He would be a lot more durable, too, if he weren't being slammed to the floor every other possession. Can't prevent him from trying to pick up Oliver Miller, though. That undiagnosed hernia really screwed him up during the Barkley years.
Well admittedly I mostly just remember his time with Barkley. So I did miss his better individual seasons.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:14 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:42 pm

Well admittedly I mostly just remember his time with Barkley. So I did miss his better individual seasons.
Yeah, they both lived in the paint and Barkley posting up on the right block cut off KJ's driving lanes. Not to mention the injuries.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

KJ didn't shoot 3s, but he was excellent at knowing what his best shots were and finding his way to those spots. I felt like when he pulled up from midrange it was almost automatic and was always surprised when it didn't go in. A lot of his makes would just swish through the net and barely touch the net or rim; his accuracy was really impressive and his shooting stroke looked really graceful.

We didn't have all the analytics back then. If we did, KJ probably would have practiced corner 3s and other more efficient shots. But he was really effective as he was.

When it comes to his shooting range in feet, as with his romantic life, KJ seemed to prefer feasting on the 17 and under range.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Probably the most beautiful shooting stroke of any Sun ever was from Walter Davis. Before most of your times. Bobster and Laz know what I'm talking about.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:39 am
Probably the most beautiful shooting stroke of any Sun ever was from Walter Davis. Before most of your times. Bobster and Laz know what I'm talking about.
Could you even see the shooting form through all the pixels in the black and white tv?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:07 am
Superbone wrote:
Could you even see the shooting form through all the pixels in the black and white tv?
Why you! I'm coming for you, saucy! Somebody hold me back!
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Paschall on a 2-way is a way good deal. Hope we bring Sarr in on a 2-way.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The Wolves need guards badly. Not sure why they keep adding to the frontcourt.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:40 pm
The Wolves need guards badly. Not sure why they keep adding to the frontcourt.
Same reason they picked two point guards in a row, including Johnny Flynn, before GS picked a guy named Steph Curry.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

:P
Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:03 am
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:07 am
Superbone wrote:
Why you! I'm coming for you, saucy! Somebody hold me back!
:P

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:34 am
A lot of his makes would just swish through the net and barely touch the net or rim; his accuracy was really impressive and his shooting stroke looked really graceful.
You mean “a swisharoo for two,” “zing go the strings” and “it’s twine time”?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:54 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:34 am
A lot of his makes would just swish through the net and barely touch the net or rim; his accuracy was really impressive and his shooting stroke looked really graceful.
You mean “a swisharoo for two,” “zing go the strings” and “it’s twine time”?
"The man with the velvet touch."
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Surprised Paschall only got a 2-way. He's not great but is a good undersized hustle big.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

NBA legend Bill Russell has died today at age 88. A truly impressive career and legacy. RIP.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

RIP big fella. He was a trailblazer.

"Be Legendary."