Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by The Bobster »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:34 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:25 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:24 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:53 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:43 pm

But if you are Phoenix you kind of have to give Ayton the contract or you will lose him and have to start over from scratch (also telling the rest of the league that you won't pay your home-grown first and only #1 draft pick, and best center in 55 years, to stay there).
KAT is their best player and has been for years and is a 3 time all-star and 2 time all-nba. Ayton is at best 3rd on this team and a zero time all-star and zero time all-nba.
DA is our second most impactful two way player after Booker IMO.

Bridges is a super role player.

Everything on offense and defense depends on DA, and it shows why we did so well when he played well.
Why did we do so well when he didn't play, too?

I am not disagreeing with how good Ayton is, but he isn't our 2nd best player.
We played well no matter who was playing or wasn’t playing in the regular season.

Also, because our role players played well in games that didn’t matter. Biyombo or Javale can fill in just fine against a suck team or a team not playing hard in the regular season.
Paul
Booker
Ayton
Bridges

Paul is the most impactful player - on and off the court.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:59 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:34 pm
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:

KAT is their best player and has been for years and is a 3 time all-star and 2 time all-nba. Ayton is at best 3rd on this team and a zero time all-star and zero time all-nba.

Everything on offense and defense depends on DA, and it shows why we did so well when he played well.

We played well no matter who was playing or wasn’t playing in the regular season.

Also, because our role players played well in games that didn’t matter. Biyombo or Javale can fill in just fine against a suck team or a team not playing hard in the regular season.
Paul
Booker
Ayton
Bridges

Paul is the most impactful player - on and off the court.
#RegularSeasonTakes

#Grrrrrhrrrrrrrhrrrrr #ThatsTheSoundOfAManChoking

#2-0 #L #OnlyPlayerEver

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Chooochoooooo here comes the excuse train

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:15 pm

I think it is more about which can be the centerpiece (no pun intended) of a contending team. I don't think you can win a championship with either player as your best player, but if you are Minny you kind of have to give KAT the contract or you will lose him and have to start over from scratch (also telling the rest of the league that you won't pay your home-grown draft pick, and best player in 15 years, to stay there).
But if you are Phoenix you kind of have to give Ayton the contract or you will lose him and have to start over from scratch (also telling the rest of the league that you won't pay your home-grown first and only #1 draft pick, and best center in 55 years, to stay there).

And for how many more years (months?) do you expect Paul to be better than Ayton?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Well, until anyone proves otherwise Paul is still their best player.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:20 pm
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

And for how many more years (months?) do you expect Paul to be better than Ayton?
Don't know. But if you are banking on a guy that his teammates and coach have to be constantly on to keep him trying hard as your 2nd best player, you are fucked.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:29 pm
Well, until anyone proves otherwise Paul is still their best player during the part of the season that doesn’t matter.
I agree

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:41 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Well, until anyone proves otherwise Paul is still their best player during the part of the season that doesn’t matter.
I agree
Fun fact, even with his awful final 5 games, CP3 led the team in WS and VORP this postseason…

Not really trying to defend CP3, he was awful. But so was everyone. It’s weird to me to single out CP3.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Paul was awful the last 5 games, Booker was awful the last 2 games, and Ayton was awful the last 1 game.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Ayton was disappointing the whole series besides Game 1 because he failed to take advantage of the perceived mismatch in his favor.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:54 pm
specialsauce wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
I agree
Fun fact, even with his awful final 5 games, CP3 led the team in WS and VORP this postseason…

Not really trying to defend CP3, he was awful. But so was everyone. It’s weird to me to single out CP3.
Interesting that you think I’m singling out a leader who has now lost 5 series when up 2-0, including the last two years for our Suns. But instead of asking - why continue to follow someone who has proven time and time again he cannot close a deep playoff series and is now going to be turning 38 years when the next playoffs arrive, we are instead scapegoating a 23 year old. I would happily pay DA $32M annually over Paul $30M. I think our window with Paul is closed. I’m much more comfortable gambling that money on DA improving than Paul not collapsing again

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
I agree

Booker was terrible most of the Dallas series (scoring a total of 30 points on 29% shooting the last two games), but everyone seems to want to give him a pass. So was Bridges, who scored 6, 7 and 6 in three of the last four games (and had all of 14 in the other). Crowder shot 5 for 19 the last 3 games. Ayton had a combined 41 points and 20 rebounds in games 5 & 6 before having a dud in game 7.

Paul managed only 30 points and 18 assists the last 3 games, but he sort of wins out by default. The only reason it looked horrific was because the team is so dependent on him (well, Ayton had 15.3 points and 8.3 rebounds the last three games, but nobody wants to hear that).

Let's face it - the shit sandwich we got served in games 6 and 7 was a team "effort." From coaching staff on down. The whole team is going to need an attitude adjustment when next season comes around. We'll find out if Monty and James Jones are up to the job.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:33 pm
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
I agree

Interesting that you think I’m singling out a leader who has now lost 5 series when up 2-0, including the last two years for our Suns. But instead of asking - why continue to follow someone who has proven time and time again he cannot close a deep playoff series and is now going to be turning 38 years when the next playoffs arrive, we are instead scapegoating a 23 year old. I would happily pay DA $32M annually over Paul $30M. I think our window with Paul is closed. I’m much more comfortable gambling that money on DA improving than Paul not collapsing again
The luxury tax will probably be at about $150 million next year, so I don't really have a problem with Ayton taking up about a quarter of it. But they're going to serious luxury tax payers if they give Booker $50 million to go with Ayton ($35 million), Paul ($30 million) and Bridges ($22 million). There's no room to pay Johnson $20 million. It's also why you don't pay Shamet $10 million a year to be a player who gives you minimal production and has his minutes shrink in the playoffs.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
I agree

That’s a compelling way of putting it.

Unfortunately, it’s not an either/or. We’ve already paid Paul and are likely stuck with him. But I’m with you. It’s a Robert Sarver problem.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
I agree

No one’s scapegoating Ayton. I mostly see people blaming the whole team. No one thinks we lost because of Ayton. We lost because the whole team decided to go in the crapper.

It would have been nice for Ayton to step up and be more than a role player, but he didn’t. It would have been nice if Booker could have put the team on his back and carried us to victory, but he didn’t. Bridges, Johnson, or Crowder doing pretty much anything at all on offense besides an occasional 3 would have been great too. But it didn’t happen.

I wrote out some long explanation for my feelings on the matter but deleted it before hitting send. I’m just over it. You’re over CP3, I’m over Ayton…it is what it is. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for you, I’m pretty sure CP3 is here to stay and Ayton is gone. Let’s just hope we strike gold with whatever move we do make.

carey

Post by carey »

You guys see this Montrezl Harrell story? He’s facing 5 years for intent to distribute after being pulled over with 3 lbs of marijuana.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I saw it earlier in the day but forgot about it. Putting this headline aside, it's pretty ridiculous we're still at this place in America when it comes to marijuana laws.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Still, he's not making enough playing in the NBA? He's got to supplement his income by dealing drugs?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I really doubt he was selling drugs to supplement his income. It could have been just for him/family/friends. I mean how long would it take to go through 3 pounds if you have an entourage? Just the off-season, probably. This is so stupid.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The really stupid part is, if he wants to get a bunch of pot, can't he get one of his friends or associates to take care of that? Why is he handling it himself and driving around with it? I have similar questions about whenever athletes get caught for a DUI. It's like, can't you pay a driver? You drive yourself around even when you're drunk? Really?