Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:49 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:52 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:43 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:37 pm
Suns missed out on this one.
They couldn't claim him off waivers. You had to have cap space to do it, because although it was the value of a minimum contract, the original contract was for 4 years so it doesn't count in the exception.
I understand. I mean the Suns should have traded cash for him like they did for Landale.
Ah, got it. I saw a ton of people complaining on twitter about it and they didn't understand. I should have known you did.

Do you think most GMs have like a group chat with other GMs where they can say "hey, what will anyone pay for Roby" before they cut him? If not, they should.
I've heard something like that exists, although I could see the Suns not wanting to be on their considering the veil of secrecy they operate under.

With regards to Roby, the roster glut on OKC is pretty apparent, so whether it was Roby, Bazley or Kenrich Williams, some players had/have to be available.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Speaking of OKC, they're about to tip off against Utah. Chet and Poku are in the starting lineup.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Not that I had any serious doubts, but it's only taken one quarter of Summer League to see the evidence I needed of Chet having star potential.

He could be a top 10 player by the time he hits his second contract.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:24 pm
Not that I had any serious doubts, but it's only taken one quarter of Summer League to see the evidence I needed of Chet having star potential.

He could be a top 10 player by the time he hits his second contract.
Yeah, he just needs weight/physical maturation, he's gonna be a monster.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I love everyone on the Thunder. Dieng looks springy too. That FO has a type - and a knack for identifying talent.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Eh.. they take a lot of swings, so I'm not so enamored with the results.

They have a ton of guys who's ceiling is a high level role player, which is clearly better than a bust, but luck is still a huge factor in drafting the real stars.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Russillo loves a good smart ass Tweet.

I wonder how much longer Poku will be in the league. He's put on a little weight, but isn't getting noticeably better at playing basketball.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The camera went back to him after the Thunder scored and he was asking the Jazz center, "WTF was that guy thinking?" :lol: I love this kid.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I love the NBA. We have like 3 days with not much basketball news and then we're right back to summer league.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:11 pm
The camera went back to him after the Thunder scored and he was asking the Jazz center, "WTF was that guy thinking?" :lol: I love this kid.

I’d trade Ayton right now for this kid based off one game.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I've never really been all that interested in Thomas Bryant, but he's still young and big, so he could have something to provide.

So now it seems the Suns will have to either hold on to Saric or acquire another Center via trade.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:27 pm
I've never really been all that interested in Thomas Bryant, but he's still young and big, so he could have something to provide.

So now it seems the Suns will have to either hold on to Saric or acquire another Center via trade.
They HAVE to acquire another center by trade if Ayton is going out, Saric or no Saric. This lineup of 6-9 centers, skinny wings and small PGs is not going to get it done.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:44 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:27 pm

They HAVE to acquire another center by trade if Ayton is going out, Saric or no Saric. This lineup of 6-9 centers, skinny wings and small PGs is not going to get it done.
Will it matter if the Center is someone worse than Thomas Bryant? I don't think so.

If it's someone like Myles Turner or Jakob Potel, that's great, but a rim-running big guy who's only good for 10mpg in the regular season isn't a big deal to me.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Bryant was the baseline. I think it needs to be someone better. Or at least someone that can be counted on nightly. I know the Warriors just won with Looney, but we don’t have a defensive anchor at the 4-5 like Draymond either.

I don’t think there’s one archetype for a team that can win the title, but I think if you’re really small or unathletic you’re significantly behind the 8 ball.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'd argue that Gary Payton was pretty easily their best defensive player and he's 6'3". I get that he's an extreme outlier and agree there are numerous ways to win, I just think size at the Center position is overrated.

I'd rather see them add more switchable wings before a 7-footer. Eric Paschall comes to mind as a free agent, or a potential buyout guy like JaMychal Green. There could be an opportunity to buy low on Matisse Thybulle right now, but I'd be surprised if James Jones would consider him.

Having a Center rotation of 3 smallish guys wouldn't be as devastating as it might seem because teams don't consistently play out of the post anymore. It's the Ayton-value debate all over again.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:10 pm
I'd argue that Gary Payton was pretty easily their best defensive player and he's 6'3". I get that he's an extreme outlier and agree there are numerous ways to win, I just think size at the Center position is overrated.

I'd rather see them add more switchable wings before a 7-footer. Eric Paschall comes to mind as a free agent, or a potential buyout guy like JaMychal Green. There could be an opportunity to buy low on Matisse Thybulle right now, but I'd be surprised if James Jones would consider him.

Having a Center rotation of 3 smallish guys wouldn't be as devastating as it might seem because teams don't consistently play out of the post anymore. It's the Ayton-value debate all over again.
I just think you need some versatility, and that includes at least one productive “big.” There are some jumbo lineups in the West (NO, Min come to mind), and we can draw their bigs out on offense, but they will absolutely punish a small frontcourt inside.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I get the feeling once we trade Ayton we might end up signing Whiteside or Harrell for the minimum. Offensively Harrell would be interesting but he’s total dog shit defensively. Maybe Mark Bryant can work his magic? Idk. If we can somehow hold on to Mikal in any potential KD trade I think I can live with whatever bullshit we roll out at center.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I've been a life long Whiteside hater, but he was actually serviceable last year in Utah. I would still never trust him in a playoff game.

'Trezz needs to get his weed charge cleared up before he becomes an option, but I think his low hoops IQ is a bad fit for the Suns.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

There’s always Frank the tank!!