Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 6:59 am
Bring on Scott Foster
Yup, bring it! Time to break the curse.
"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:00 am
Mitchell is capable of defending…he came into the league as a defensive guy, he’s just small and doesn’t exert energy on that side anymore. I think he’d change his ways on the Heat, he’d have to. Would help that he wouldn’t have as much offensive responsibility. Butler is the primary shot creator there.
Yes, he'd have to ... As Indy says, he'd better or Butler would kick his ass.
I just don't see him meshing with the Heat culture.
He'd have to be the third guy after Butler and Adebayo.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m going Smart-Booker-Mikal-Giannis-Horford

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Y'all know me and the Talk Shows
Seems every week a player not only NBA tbh taking to social media to basically tell a media person that "You know where to find me" if you got something to say 🤦🏾‍♂️

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 11:36 am
Y'all know me and the Talk Shows
Seems every week a player not only NBA tbh taking to social media to basically tell a media person that "You know where to find me" if you got something to say 🤦🏾‍♂️

Shaq would have eaten Gobert alive.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Like I said
Spending too much time on the Bird App lol but yes here we are
The usual No Context stuff

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Bob Lanier died yesterday after a short illness. In 14 NBA seasons as a center, Lanier’s per-game averages were 20.1 points, 10.1 rebounds. 3.1 assists and 1.5 blocks. Besides being of the NBA’s few career 20/10 players, Lanier shot 51.4% from the field.
He played in eight NBA All-Star Games and was named Most Valuable Player of the 1974 game. He was the one stable fixture on a turbulent Pistons’ franchise – he played for eight coaches in 10 seasons with Detroit. In spite of this, Lanier averaged 22.7 points, 11.8 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 2 blocks and 1.2 steals in 681 games for Detroit. The 6-10 ½, 265 lbs. Lanier played through a series of knee injuries. After enduring years of coaching turmoil with the Pistons, he requested and was granted a trade to the Milwaukee Bucks.
Lanier’s No. 16 jersey retired by the Pistons and the Bucks. His No. 31 jersey was retired by St. Bonaventure University, for whom he played in college. After retiring from playing he was an assistant coach for the Golden State Warriors, and briefly served as their interim head coach. He went on to work as an NBA Cares Global Ambassador.
He was an active voice in the Player’s Association. He was something of a greeter for young players entering the league, forever offering his phone number, telling them to lean on him whenever necessary, generous with advice. And he spent so much time spreading the league’s gospel that, as Kenny Smith noted, “he wasn’t just an ‘ambassador.’ He was actually The Ambassador…”
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:31 pm
Like I said
Spending too much time on the Bird App lol but yes here we are
The usual No Context stuff

Meh. I mean, it is true. Those are facts. StatMuse has a job to attract attention through stats. This does that. Anyone looking at the first 4 years of a career would much rather have Doncic's over Booker's. Let's hope to make all of this moot in 2 months.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s just a weird comparison to try and make. Who cares who was better the first 4 years…what are they doing now?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:03 pm
It’s just a weird comparison to try and make. Who cares who was better the first 4 years…what are they doing now?
People compare Lebron and Kobe's first x years all the time. Heck, we talk all the time about "Book is 4th all time in scoring before age 25" or some shit like that. That is the same thing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya but with the timing it doesn’t make sense. Booker vs Doncic is literally happening right now. What Booker was 7 years ago says nothing about what’s currently happening. If all they’re trying to say is Luka was better from ages 19-22 than Booker was 19-22…cool I guess. Means nothing in regards to the current series.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:43 pm
Ya but with the timing it doesn’t make sense. Booker vs Doncic is literally happening right now. What Booker was 7 years ago says nothing about what’s currently happening. If all they’re trying to say is Luka was better from ages 19-22 than Booker was 19-22…cool I guess. Means nothing in regards to the current series.
But it gets people talking and fired up.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

It’s fun to pull stats out of your ass that are technically true, and yet mean nothing when divorced completely from any relevant context. Here, I’ll do one:

The Dallas Mavericks are 2-1 in the 2022 playoffs in games Luka Doncic has sat out. They are only 4-4 in games in which he has played. Obviously they are better without him.

See? Fun.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I can't wait until we bounce them out. Someone brought up a good point that the Suns have pissed off a lot of fan bases because of their success this year and last. But Book has been getting this hate since his second year in the league; I don't get it.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Well that solves it.

Luka-less Dallas Mavericks: 2022 NBA Champions
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Indy

Post by Indy »

I generally hate the divisions between the conferences (I don't think it is meaningful anymore), but I like this change.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wished they’d call it a conference playoffs mvp…it’s always gonna go to someone in the conference finals, but I think the whole playoffs should count.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:35 am
I wished they’d call it a conference playoffs mvp…it’s always gonna go to someone in the conference finals, but I think the whole playoffs should count.
So Jokic could get ALL the awards? No thanks.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:44 am
Split T wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:35 am
So Jokic could get ALL the awards? No thanks.
Of course not, he lost in the first round so there’s no chance he gets it.

I just think it’s dumb to base an award off a couple games. I don’t know that there is a great example this year…maybe Giannis in the east. Let’s say we get to the conference Finals and Jrue has a couple great games while Giannis is so-so and they win the East. Should those 2 games give him the conference finals mvp over 3 rounds of elite play from Giannis?

Ultimately I just wish there was a best player on the planet award. Then we wouldn’t have to get too upset about Jokic winning mvp. I think Giannis would run away with a best player on the planet award.