Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by Superbone »

As always, it's just business.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:42 pm
I wonder if guys who are currently negotiating contracts (and their agents) and are generally in the same "tier" try to get on the same page? Because for all the talk of the Suns not meeting Cam's number, does 72 million or 85 million really change his life all that much either? And maybe I'm off base with that because I would love to play basketball for 72 million. But I get Williams' argument about not messing up the market for other guys. And I wonder if Cam or Grant or Washington or any of those guys were together in not going below 85 million? And if that's the case, I totally get and respect that position.

Anyways, it would be interesting to know more about how this all really goes down.
Agreed!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:29 pm
wpmiller42 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:42 pm
I wonder if guys who are currently negotiating contracts (and their agents) and are generally in the same "tier" try to get on the same page? Because for all the talk of the Suns not meeting Cam's number, does 72 million or 85 million really change his life all that much either? And maybe I'm off base with that because I would love to play basketball for 72 million. But I get Williams' argument about not messing up the market for other guys. And I wonder if Cam or Grant or Washington or any of those guys were together in not going below 85 million? And if that's the case, I totally get and respect that position.

Anyways, it would be interesting to know more about how this all really goes down.
Agreed!
I'll play basketball for 720k. I'm good for a game of 21 twice a year with 2 of my buddies. I usually throw out my back and shoot 6 for 57 but it's a hell of a workout and I'm sure onlookers are entertained.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The Lakers just don't look like a good team to me.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:46 pm
Agreed. The warriors didn’t play that well either and handled them easily.
I don’t love the look of Philly either. The bits I saw were lots of Embiid and Harden on offence with the other three on the court not involved and just standing around.

pickle

Post by pickle »

We need an in-season thread now I guess…?

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Gladiator wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:00 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:46 pm
Agreed. The warriors didn’t play that well either and handled them easily.
I don’t love the look of Philly either. The bits I saw were lots of Embiid and Harden on offence with the other three on the court not involved and just standing around.
I'm sure this may not be a popular opinion, but IF Westbrook were to be bought out and IF he would play here as a 6th man, I'd be for that. I didn't think he was terrible against the Warriors last night.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

pickle wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:50 am
We need an in-season thread now I guess…?
I made us a Week 1 thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2579

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

MightyMoog wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:40 am
I think Grant Williams didn’t get extended for the same reason Cam didn’t. If Durant is still unhappy mid season, you want to have those trade pieces available.
I think you're overthinking it. They didn't get extended because they couldn't agree a deal. Ditto for PJ Washington. All three guys are around the same tier of player and their teams weren't interested in meeting their salary demands that were based on speculative performance or future league revenue. And there really wasn't any reason to: they're role players. Why bid against yourself to pay a premium that they haven't proven their worth?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Both can be true at the same time.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Not really. If the Suns didn't want to extend Cam in order to keep him available for a Durant trade, I don't think they would have been involved in talks up until the extension deadline. I'm sure they've considered the benefit of having him eligible to be traded, but I don't think that is the reason a deal didn't get done.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Disagree. The reports are that they were pretty far off between the two camps (despite what Flex is saying). That could be a sign Jones would only sign Cam to a pretty team-friendly deal, and Book's dad was pushing for a contract in line with the new tv deal. That doesn't mean Jones isn't also planning for a star to come on the market this season. You kind of have to straddle both options sometimes.