Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He hasn't been worth the trouble in recent seasons. The Lakers were fine letting him go and and Boston improved significantly after trading him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:15 pm
Well how about that? We were interested in him after all…

If that’s the case, the news broke out just in time to save us from signing a problem waiting to happen.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Schroeder on a 1 year vet min contract is not a problem. I’m not sure he’d be a big difference maker, but he’d give us another pg option. And he’d be easily removable if he caused problems.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wish we had gotten Schroder. I think he's underrated right now, especially on a good team. And our backup guards are inconsistent, so I think Schroder would have been a nice upgrade / insurance policy.

My guess is that his choice was not about the Sarver investigation. Instead, he went with the Lakers because he'll probably get more minutes (they are not nearly as deep as we are) and even has an outside chance to start if Westbrook gets moved in a salary-dump trade. Plus he's been there before so it's familiar and comfortable, plus the prestige of playing with Lebron and the Lakers, and so on. It just makes sense.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I agree. The Laker job was more appealing for a few reasons. Though we could’ve offered him more money if we wanted too. Not sure we wanted to though. I also agree though that I’d have taken him. At the very least he’d be competition for Payne, but most likely he’d be our backup pg and could slide into the starting line up if CP3 needs to rest.

I wonder if we’re waiting on a Kemba Walker buyout.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

We were too busy waiting to hear how much Mr. Rebate Check (aka Sam Garvin aka Sarver Jr.) is allowing us to spend.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I am just a few inches from giving up on the team. I wanted Schroeder as insurance. Now, asswipe jr. Garvin has to approve all purchases.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:20 am
I am just a few inches from giving up on the team. I wanted Schroeder as insurance. Now, asswipe jr. Garvin has to approve all purchases.
IMO this is not the time to bail as a Suns fan. We are likely less than a year away from #SarverOUT finally happening. We had the best record in the NBA last year and will likely have another strong season. This team is going to be good for several years to come. I think riding this out will reward us Suns fans.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Highschool players to be eligible again

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Just in time for Bronny James to be overdrafted.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Bronny would’ve been eligible either way, right? He’s a senior now. Honestly probably hurts him as he’s got to compete with the class below him now too. For his sake I hope he doesn’t jump early to the nba just to play with his dad. ESPN has him in the late 30’s as far as prospects go. Certainly within the range of nba talent, but I also worry that he’s being artificially boosted by his name. I have zero clue how good he actually is, but it’s not going to do him any good to jump to the nba if he’s not ready or good enough.

Well, unless he knows he’s not good enough and his best chance to get paid is to be drafted in the 1st round when everyone knows drafting him is actually drafting LeBron.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ugh, I really don't want high school players to come straight to the NBA again. That was a bad time for the league. As flawed as the current one-and-done system is, at least you get a brief look at these guys in college to see what they can do. Or they can go overseas or to the D/G-League to show their skills. It's so much better than drafting them based on essentially no information beyond some ridiculous prep games where they can score 70 points against 14-year-olds.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:16 pm
Ugh, I really don't want high school players to come straight to the NBA again. That was a bad time for the league. As flawed as the current one-and-done system is, at least you get a brief look at these guys in college to see what they can do. Or they can go overseas or to the D/G-League to show their skills. It's so much better than drafting them based on essentially no information beyond some ridiculous prep games where they can score 70 points against 14-year-olds.
It brought more uncertainty for sure, but how bad it was was way overblown. LeBron, Dwight, Amare, KG, Kobe, McGrady, J O’Neal, etc. Lots of elite players came straight to the nba from high school and had great careers. I feel like the failures of the 2001 draft makes it seem worse. Ya Kwame sucked and Tyson Chandler took awhile to develop(though he ended up with a good career), and Eddy Curry flopped, but there’s not actually many other examples of highly drafted high school players that failed. Overall they performed as well, if not better, than their older counterparts. Certainly performed better than the highly drafted Euro players of that era.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, how dare the league allow adults to work in it and maximize their career earnings instead of giving all of that money to the NCAA?

And the whole 'bust' argument has been busted many times, including on this site. There isn't a bigger percentage of high school to NBA player busts than there are college to NBA busts. In fact, it is the other way around.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:21 am
virtual9mm wrote:
IMO this is not the time to bail as a Suns fan. We are likely less than a year away from #SarverOUT finally happening. We had the best record in the NBA last year and will likely have another strong season. This team is going to be good for several years to come. I think riding this out will reward us Suns fans.
I don't think Sarver is getting forced out, I think we're stuck with him and I am disgusted with the likes of Garvin as well. Not sure if I want to help douchebags like them grow richer.

You will probably see me stick around...but by just a thread.

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:16 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:21 am
virtual9mm wrote:
I don't think Sarver is getting forced out, I think we're stuck with him and I am disgusted with the likes of Garvin as well. Not sure if I want to help douchebags like them grow richer.

You will probably see me stick around...but by just a thread.
When a key sponsor says they won't pay if he is around, and the union speaking on behalf of the players say they think he should be banned for life, I don't see him staying around.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya it could get real messy for Sarver. Sponsors dropping is essentially a kill stroke. For once his cheapness might come in our favor as he’ll sell before he loses too much money.

Here’s to James Jones spending as much of his money as he can to push him out the door.

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/346 ... 2-23-25-11

CP3 comes in at 21 and the biggest takeaway is Booker was not part of this meaning he’s in the top 10.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hmm, what do we think this is about?